"Manual shift program" for C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
"Manual shift program" for C55

Quote from AMG Press Release:

"Teamed up with AMG SPEEDSHIFT and steering-wheel gear changing, the C 55 AMG offers a unique power package. The gears of the five-speed automatic transmission can be changed by touch control on the selector lever or by buttons on the new ergonomic AMG sports steering wheel. In the manual shift program “M,” no down-shifting occurs even at full throttle and kick-down. As a result, the driver can fully tap the eight-cylinder engine’s high torque. In addition, AMG SPEEDSHIFT offers torque converter lockup, optimal gear function, automatic braking deceleration and faster gear changing, thus creating a truly thrilling driving experience."

No more downshift in full throttle or kickdown
Old 02-16-2004, 09:05 AM
lap

2002 c32
actually the auto downshift...

will be missed. I also had a c230k which "stuck" to the upper gear without automatically bringing you to the next gear under full throttle. On the surface it may appear that you want to drive your autobox like a "pure" manual, in reality this may not be the case => give me a STANDARD if I want a pure stick.

IMHO, other than the ESP hesitation, the c32 auto is probably one of the best automatics in the market! The "dumb" leave it in first and hammer the pedal helps makes it what it is: a true sports "SEDAN". Granted the Suspension may be tweaked a little more for some, but overall, this is a Grand Touring Sedan.

BTW is the "automatic braking deceleration" something new (if it is then GREAT more decision-making power taken away from the driver -- also, some manufacturers are now looking at "automatic-type" steering in which the computer pulls you to the direction it thinks you should go... )

I'm not flaming, and I'm sure that the c55 will be a WONDERFUL car but like the Porsche 911 line NEWER does NOT necessarily mean BETTER
Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Actually, the statement seems to announce a new "M" mode, under which the transmission works without automatically downshifting/upshifting. Presumably, this behavior is isolated to the M mode and S and W modes still operate as in the C32. This is a good thing and would cure the only issue I have with our transmissions.

The remainder, (torque converter lockup, etc.) probably refers to features we already have in our transmissions. I'm guessing, in particular, automatic breaking deceleration is the select-lower-gear-on-braking thats currently in our transmission, which imho shoudl not happen in M mode except for reselecting 1st when the stopped (or when speed drops excessively low).