toluene as octane booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
toluene as octane booster

Based on numerous web postings, bought some toluene at Sherwin Williams and dumped a couple of gallons into the tank. My car was originally sold in New Jersey, and I suspect that the ECU may have been set new at 93? (or were they all set new at 91). In any case, a very noticeable improvement, especially here in CA where the do-gooders have decided that nobody needs more than 91 octane. Based on the roughly 16 gallon fuel tank, I would guesstimate that 2 gals. toluene brings 91 up to about 94. Not cheap ($5.90/gallon in 5 gallon can), but worth it. I plan on adding at least a gallon at every tankful, which should bring octane up to close to 93, especially if you are not adding a full 16 gallons of fuel at fill up (i.e., if you fill up at 1/4 or 1/8 tank). This would mean spending an extra $4.00 per fill-up ($6.00 for the gallon of toluene, minus the $2.00 that the gallon of premium gasoline would have cost you). The real downside is the inconvenience. I may get tired of the whole process at some point and trade a few ponies for no hassle but, for now, it is a lot of fun. Am going in to Evosport on Tuesday for stage I plus SL intake. Hopefully they will dyno the car before and after. I saw some mention in a different thread that Evosport may be offering a 190 mm pulley? Anyone have any info about this? (or anyone have any bad experiences adding toluene to their C32?)
Old 02-15-2004, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
toluene will kill your catalytic converter.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Toluene

Toluene will kill catalytic converter? Is there any evidence to support this statement? Isn't it true that most gas already contains tolulene (or xylene) to boost octane? Also, isn't it true that many of the octane booster products (which claim to be safe for catalytic converters) available in auto parts stores are primarily tolulene? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:30 PM

SLK32
Re: toluene as octane booster

Originally posted by Vomit
Based on numerous web postings, bought some toluene at Sherwin Williams and dumped a couple of gallons into the tank. My car was originally sold in New Jersey, and I suspect that the ECU may have been set new at 93? (or were they all set new at 91). In any case, a very noticeable improvement, especially here in CA where the do-gooders have decided that nobody needs more than 91 octane.
Actually the environmental wacko's have nothing to do with the 91 octane vs. 93 octane. As much as they are usually to blame for once they are innocent,
Old 02-15-2004, 07:19 PM

2004 clk500 coupe
fuel upgrades

why not go to any speedshop and buy some real high perf. high octane unleaded race fuel and mix it, there are many name brand race fuels that are oxygen sensor and catylist compatible, i currently use unocal 100 and vp101 with exceptional results, and they are readily available.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Race gas

Where do you buy the race gas and what does it cost? (not that it will help me much, since I live 300 miles from you!) Have you dyno'd your car? If so, did you test the race gas effect? Is Mr. "Your Catalytic Converter is going to die" an astute chemist, or just intellectually-challenged? Thanks for the info!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:20 AM

C36
It is actually cheaper to buy race gas by the 55 Gal. barrel and have it dropped off at your doorstep. It makes a big difference. The more your engine is modded, the bigger difference it makes. Look on the web and have it shipped. It'll be cheaper than any local speed shop or bike dealer will sell it for.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:55 PM

2004 clk500 coupe
Re: Race gas

Originally posted by Vomit
Where do you buy the race gas and what does it cost? (not that it will help me much, since I live 300 miles from you!) Have you dyno'd your car? If so, did you test the race gas effect? Is Mr. "Your Catalytic Converter is going to die" an astute chemist, or just intellectually-challenged? Thanks for the info!
a 55 gal drum of VP performance unleaded runs $280. plus a drum deposit, i actually buy mine thru a offshore racer, when he picks up a batch of high octane leaded as a courtesy he grabs me a drum of unleaded, as mentioned go to the internet and look up VPRACEFUELS.COM and then hit the regional dealer list and spec charts, generally the speed shops sell the 5gal. containers for around $32-35. VP's best unleaded is 103 and will not effect 02 sensors or cats but does not contain the MTBE which is required for on road use if you care, the perf unleaded is used for production racing and is street legal at 101 octane, this fuel in turbo applications allows up to 25lbs of boost where pump gas would have problems at 15. as far as benefits you will only feel a crisper power delivery and a smoother climb to higher rpm

Last edited by clkguy; 02-16-2004 at 10:02 PM.