C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 AMG rough idle in gear but not in park.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 AMG
C55 AMG rough idle in gear but not in park.

Just giving a heads up to the dreaded vibration and low idle when first started in gear while not in park or neutral. After 30 minutes of driving the car would perform normally with no low idle or sputtering. There are a few things that can cause the low idle causing the car to sputter and die such as the MAF, throttle body and EGR valve getting gunked up with carbon deposits.

I had this bad idle for the past few months so i removed the maf etc...and they were dirty and especially the EGR valve. With them cleaned out I did feel a little better throttle response but the low idle still haunted me. I knew my mounts were bad when i tried the engine test with my foot on the brake and put my foot into the gas pedal and the motor lifted up about 2''.

So....I installed the new mounts yesterday and what a difference! The car feels amazing...no more low idle. I also had a ticking sound upon starting and that is gone too. The job is not that hard to do as i found a couple of DIY's to help me.

What i did was remove the 2 bolts holding the sway bar under the passenger side and left the end link connected...moved it towards the rear and There will be enough space to get the old mount out and the new one in while jacking the motor up....took 15 minutes if that. You need the motor mount removal tool as you can use your ratchet to connect to it and brake the bolts free...great tool and a must have.

For the driver side i removed the muffler down pipe that took 20 minutes fighting the rust and spraying the bolts with tri flow...and once again took 15 minutes to install the new mount...hooked the pipe back in place and then replaced the transmission mount....really easy but tedious.

The mounts were completely shot...dust was coming out of them as the fluid was long gone. I was quoted 500 from an indie mechanic and I'm glad i did it myself...just take your time and have all the tools handy, i spent most of my time looking for the damn sockets that roll around on the floor instead of having a small container under the car with all the tools. Now i need to change the valve cover gaskets.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Yes, the mounts tend to go bad on these cars. Thanks for posting this..