C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 vS 350Z @ Nuerburg n Hockinhein

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bilal

You're at a stoplight. The guy in his mustang cobra says "Hey what's up, let's race!" (Or in a worse scenario, flips you off.) What are you going to do? Respond with "OK, MEET ME AT THE RACE TRACK." or "Y'KNOW WHERE THAT TWISTY ROAD IS? LET'S GO THERE"
how come i never seen mustages in UK?
N ring is for mature-rich car enthusias to test out their car...
not really for race... i don't think the insurance will cover any damage done there, and N ring official will charge u alot if you hit their fence...

plus, mature people won't ask or take offer like that on street...
if they want to speed, they go to track.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:20 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Well, I substituted Mustang for you yanks...

You'd be surprised what happens to the ego of a "mature" man when challeneged by any car on the street

Especially when the mature man is driving an AMG...
Old 02-28-2004, 04:38 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the C32 video, wonderful fun! But I somewhat disagree, that C32 is howling around every turn, and he is almost in the weeds on a several turns. Could he take it faster, sure! But it does showcase the C32, and what it can do. Great! I think this is a wonderful test.

I am glad people are thinking about this, basically:
Should AMG toss more power or better handling into C55?
My vote is better handling.

I agree "meet you in the mountains" is not realistic, but it is tiresome to hear M3 owners say, well the C32 beat you in a straight line but, "if you went to the twisties"... (BTW C32, don't do it).

To be more PC, we could look at it from a safety standpoint. The C32 could improve emergency lane-change or slalom a couple of MPH faster. Of course, nobody would mind that.

You are right "99% wouldn't use it", that is precisely the point, and I think that AMG is very marketing-driven. Better handling sells fewer cars than more HP or "better ride". This is exactly how the SUV evolved into the car it is.

What are the C32's "soft spots" and how would you improve them? I would trade some ride quality for handling that was up to par with the present motor.

I like to have a margin or error when it comes to handling, if I come into a turn too fast, or a car swerves into my lane, it is nice to have a car that is up to the task and has some handling left over.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Bilal
You'd be surprised what happens to the ego of a "mature" man when challeneged by any car on the street

Especially when the mature man is driving an AMG...
Just like Bond in his Aston Martin and Sean Corney in his XJR
Old 02-28-2004, 06:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
IMHO, I don't think the new C55 will be a big improvement in the handling department. If you look back at the AMG model dated back to the C36, the AMGs that came after the C36 didn't really have dramatic improvement on the handling department. It's a different story power wise.

AMG's making powerful road cars for the actual roads oppose to BMW which they are making powerful road cars for the track.

I think as long as we all know that AMG has already proven itself on the track in DTM (since the 190E), Le Man, etc. It doesn't really matter if the AMG road cars can't quite hang with the Ms on the track.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by FrankW

I think as long as we all know that AMG has already proven itself on the track in DTM (since the 190E), Le Man, etc. It doesn't really matter if the AMG road cars can't quite hang with the Ms on the track.
right...
and M's car are crazy with problems...
their recall list is scary...
recently E46 M3 have a major recall, i think that will cost BMW alot of money...
1-2 major unit under the engine, near the engine mount have problem or something.
a guy with 2000 miles on his M3 spilled all the oil on the road, and of course, most of the other M3 have this problem too.
Read that off from E46M3 forum.
And most of the BMW guys insist if you get BMW, make sure it comes with extended warrenty.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:29 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by carl
right...
and M's car are crazy with problems...
their recall list is scary...
recently E46 M3 have a major recall, i think that will cost BMW alot of money...
1-2 major unit under the engine, near the engine mount have problem or something.
a guy with 2000 miles on his M3 spilled all the oil on the road, and of course, most of the other M3 have this problem too.
Read that off from E46M3 forum.
And most of the BMW guys insist if you get BMW, make sure it comes with extended warrenty.

not sure about what's the engine mount problem you are talking about, but the previous problem with the M3 spilling oil had to do with bad valve stem.

I believe the valve stem was filled with some cooling material and when it breaks it'll cause the cyclinder to blow or something because of the cooling material is corosive(sp??)
Old 03-01-2004, 06:45 AM

Nothing
SAFE HANDLING

"I like to have a margin or error when it comes to handling, if I come into a turn too fast, or a car swerves into my lane, it is nice to have a car that is up to the task and has some handling left over."

RRF, THE FACT THAT A M3 OR ANY OTHER CAR IS FASTER ON A TRACK DOESNT MEAN THAT IS SAFER ON THE ROAD. I RACED FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS, AND THOUGH MY RACE CAR (A VW GOLF WITH 140BHP) WILL OUTRUN A C32, IT IS DEFINATELY NOT AS SAFE AS MY C32. NORMALLY THE MORE UNDERSTEER A CAR HAVE, THE SAFER IT IS ON A ROAD, BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE WILL APPLY THE BRAKES IN A CORNER. IF YOU CAR TENDS TO UNDERSTEER NOTHING WILL HAPPEN, BUT IF IT OVERSTEER OR IS JUST NEUTRAL, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL SPIN OFF THE ROAD. I ALSO THINK MOST PEOPLE (MYSELF INCLUDED) BUY C32S FOR THERE LUXURY POWER RATHER THAN FOR THERE HANDLING.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 PM

C32
we too need extended warranty

Guys,

My 04 has been in the shop twice for the same problem:

"Engine oil level - reduce oil level"

Apparently it is no longer a faulty sensor that is prone to many C-classes, but something else. I would expect a lot of problems to be fixed since 02, but alas, what a poor assumption.

At this point my confidence in the reliability of this car is way down, and I am ancitipating problems every time I take the wheel. Extended warranty to prevent possible insanity
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Guys,
What is the user name & password to view the video?
thanks in advance