C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ESP Not Available!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESP Not Available!

The following message popped up in my display...

ESP Not Available! Visit Workshop

Has anyone seen this message before? I searched the forums, but didnt see many threads specific to this message.

The car runs fine. I havent had the chance to "spin" the tires to check if ESP is indeed "Not Available"

Called Road-side assistance. They told me the car is safe to drive but to visit the dealer, which, of course I most certainly will do.

Feedback welcome.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
ESP not available

I had this message on my car after I replaced the battery (but it disappeared after 30 seconds or so). Is the yellow triangle/exclamation point lit on the instrument panel?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:32 AM

Nope, the triangle is not lit. It lights if I press the ESP button, goes out if I press it again, operates normally, in other words.

I spoke with a service rep at the dealer, he said, quote: "The vehicle is safe and now more fun to drive" " See you Tuesday at 7am"
Old 02-27-2004, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
ESP

I certainly may be wrong on this (and I defer to "MBZ's finest"), but it sounds like your ESP is working. Simple test: Crank the wheel to the left and punch it!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Re: ESP

Originally posted by Vomit
I certainly may be wrong on this (and I defer to "MBZ's finest"), but it sounds like your ESP is working. Simple test: Crank the wheel to the left and punch it!
of course, perform this test in a closed open area..
Old 02-27-2004, 01:10 PM

Update

Went out for lunch... The message appeared when I first started the car but disappeared about 30 seconds later.

Punched it briefly going around a corner; the traction control kicked in normally.

I hate to be the "boy who cries wolf" but if it stays off throughout the weekend and Monday, I'll cancel my service appointment and case closed.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
ESP

I think that mine kept doing the same thing until I went into the screen where it lists the number of malfunctions(or maybe it was the "settings" screen?) and then held down the odometer reset button on the left side of the instruments. I think that it then told me that if I wanted to reset all settings to factory settings to press the button again, which I did. Try that. Otherwise, what it sounds like is that you had an ESP glitch, but that it is now cured.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:23 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roadside Assistance can (and probably did) a error-code scan on your car when you called. You might want to call them back and see what exactly they recorded and see if they STILL think you should visit the shop. (wheel sensors seem to get wet and toss a code)

No message = AOK

I wouldn't worry at all unless the message comes back on.
I am almost 100% sure your ESP self-healed itself. Mine got wet at the car wash, threw a code, healed-itself, and now has been perfect ever since.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:34 PM
lap

2002 c32
wohooo...

can I get the "esp not available" option too.... SORRY, some of you out there know I couldn't resist the temptation.

If you turn your steering a few times : all the way to your right then all the way to your left it should re-set your esp setting (at least that was told to me by my MB rep on my 230k)

Good Luck & keep us posted.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:02 PM

Re: wohooo...

Originally posted by lap
can I get the "esp not available" option too.... SORRY, some of you out there know I couldn't resist the temptation.

If you turn your steering a few times : all the way to your right then all the way to your left it should re-set your esp setting (at least that was told to me by my MB rep on my 230k)

Good Luck & keep us posted.
My boss, who is a Porsche nut, was more excited about my ESP glitch than I was. Which was significant because I wasnt excited about it at all.

He wanted to immediately go out and do smoky burnouts in an empty part of the parking garage. I mumbled something about having work to do and declined.

He was visibly disappointed come lunchtime to see the message disappear.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G
Re: Re: wohooo...

Originally posted by samc32
My boss, who is a Porsche nut, was more excited about my ESP glitch than I was. Which was significant because I wasnt excited about it at all.

He wanted to immediately go out and do smoky burnouts in an empty part of the parking garage. I mumbled something about having work to do and declined.

He was visibly disappointed come lunchtime to see the message disappear.
lol you can still have fun just push the button
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i got this error tonight after sliding down an icy hill.

Started sliding toward a ditch on the right. So i and turned the wheel all the way left, jammed on the brakes. The car kept sliding slowly, maybe 5 mph, and was inches from the ditch (about a foot drop) so I shifted into reverse and gunned it. Thankfully the wheels caught a bit and rotated the car to the left.

I kept my foot jammed on the brake but kept sliding and start heading toward this minivan that was stuck on the side of the road. I kept pushing the brake and ABS/ESP was trying to do its thing, then it cut out and the brake pedal traveled another inch or so. Brakes were still on but the ESP error came up.

Any ideas on what happened? Glad I avoided two wrecks but hope I can avoid a repair bill too.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
It snowed here three years ago when I own an E46 and my car slid really bad on a back road too, causing the traction and stability control system to go nuts. I went to the dealer the next day and they told me I had caused it to or load somehow and one of the seasons over heated. They replaced it under warranty but its was expensive when I saw the original price. It happened again one year in the rain, gave me the same error but I parked it for two days and started it up after that and it was gone. Must have dried out. I say give it 24 hours and see where you stand. Might have kicked snow up into some how in all the excitement and it might just need to dry.

Originally Posted by King320
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i got this error tonight after sliding down an icy hill.

Started sliding toward a ditch on the right. So i and turned the wheel all the way left, jammed on the brakes. The car kept sliding slowly, maybe 5 mph, and was inches from the ditch (about a foot drop) so I shifted into reverse and gunned it. Thankfully the wheels caught a bit and rotated the car to the left.

I kept my foot jammed on the brake but kept sliding and start heading toward this minivan that was stuck on the side of the road. I kept pushing the brake and ABS/ESP was trying to do its thing, then it cut out and the brake pedal traveled another inch or so. Brakes were still on but the ESP error came up.

Any ideas on what happened? Glad I avoided two wrecks but hope I can avoid a repair bill too.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Yeh in my experience these things self correct, but it freaked me out.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did this happen with snow tires on? Be careful out there in the snow. Definitely don't drive it again in that weather until your ESP in back up and running. This could have ended very badly for you and your car.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Bux
lol you can still have fun just push the button
or just engage dyno mode
Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by austinholloman
Did this happen with snow tires on? Be careful out there in the snow. Definitely don't drive it again in that weather until your ESP in back up and running. This could have ended very badly for you and your car.
I have Goodyear Eagle GTs. They're all weather with OK snow traction, but there's no such thing as a good ice tire unless it has spikes.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
I have Goodyear Eagle GTs. They're all weather with OK snow traction, but there's no such thing as a good ice tire unless it has spikes.

Not true, the latest Blizzaks are very very good on ice. Not what a stud/spike would be BUT you cant drive those on streets either!!

I have seen a plethora of SUVs/CUVs that are supposed to be good on snow and the differentiating factor is always the tires (always). Saw a spin-out today between a Lexus RX (egg ) and a Mustang, neither on snow tires!! The ML55 on the Blizzak DMV-1 just cruised right through!!

ON topic, I have had the same message on the C32 with ESP and was able to re-set by removing the battery terminal. Also, you cant turn off ESP if you're on cruise.

Do you have an error code by the way??
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Went out this morning and it said the same thing, found a dry patch in the parking lot and nailed full throttle to see if ESP was actually working. Thankfully ESP caught the wheelspin and the error went away. Almost like i had to convince the car ESP was still available. Weird huh?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
your

speed sensors may have iced up,causing no signal to be able to get to the ecu.
At times warning msg have been cleared by power washing the brakes and clearing away what blocks the signal.tough to do in sub zero temps.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Went out this morning and it said the same thing, found a dry patch in the parking lot and nailed full throttle to see if ESP was actually working. Thankfully ESP caught the wheelspin and the error went away. Almost like i had to convince the car ESP was still available. Weird huh?
Try this, start the car, dont move it and leave in park and turn wheel to left first (all the way) and then right and then left again and then center.

Also, try doing some figure 8s in a parking lot................

It works for my ML55.........................
Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
The error is still gone, but if this happens again i'll try your trick. Might do some figure 8s in the the parking lot just for fun once everyone clears out tonight. They plowed the top coat of snow off but there's still a hard coat of about 1 inch of snow.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I want an ML55 for winter days. Sounds nice.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by austinholloman
I want an ML55 for winter days. Sounds nice.
Nothing better in the snow Austin with a set of Blizzaks...............
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM

A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
I am having a similar issue with my 02 C32. Was driving home last night and a car shot out of a apartment building entrance and came into my lane, so I swerved to avoid hitting him and in the process caught a curb instead, front tire( pass side) went flat back tire checked the curb and did some damage to the wheel.. Changed the flat tire and then started the car and I had the "ESP not available message" my steering wheel also isnt lined up straight when I am driving straight. Car tracks fine and doesnt pull and rides, turns, brakes fine.

On the way to work this evening I had the same message from last night but a new one for the ESP popped up. reads "ESP program not recognized" What could have caused this? Did I possibly damage or knock a speed sensor off or did I completely destroy the ESP system. I havent tested to see if it works, just wanted to get some ideas first.

Thanks,
Andrew

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ESP Not Available!