C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Potential new owner: Why so little interest in the C32?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230K
Potential new owner: Why so little interest in the C32?

Hi all,

I am kind of new. I joined to help my girlfriend fix her 2004 C230k. I might be picking up a 2002 C32. I mainly come from the import (Hondas and Nissans), BMWs and now a 911. I am interested in the Mercedes. I enjoy all cars.

I don't know too much about these cars. I enjoy restoring cars. I came across one that needs A LOT of work. It might've been in a flood before, too. This is nothing new to me. I like saving cars from the junk yard.

I have spent the past few days researching these cars. The one I am looking to buy won't start. I am assuming the worst - might need a new engine. One thing that kind of shocked me was the lack of interest in modifying these cars. I assumed people would buy these and modify them since they came from the factory with FI.

Any particular reason why there doesn't seem to be too much interest in them? Low production numbers? Auto trans affect interest in them?

In the meantime, I am going to keep researching the possible 3.7L swap into this chassis. Since the car is likely to have been in a flood, I am not planning on making it a reliable daily driver it I confirm it was.

I'll let you guys know if I end up getting it!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I'll agree that there were low production numbers on these...2700 total in the USA...maybe half that today.
The car is pretty good stock, and with a smaller supercharger pulley and ECU tune, can gain another 50-60 HP, for close to 400. That's a good number for a small car.

The parts for any German car will cost double what you are used to, so be prepared to spend some money. But if purchased cheap, can be made into a driver for $2-5K total investment. Used parts can be found everywhere, and work well for some things.

The engine from an SRT6 is a drop-in, so there are other choices if a swap is needed.
I recall the 2002 had a cam issue, but that normally won't be what keeps it from starting.

If it truly was flooded, there are many computers which could be toast, especially if it was salt water. This would make a refresh challenging. Worst case is you can part it out, as there are lot's of folks here who would be interested in the bits and pieces.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventure.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ae86 and w203 wagon
Most people opt for the newer and faster c55, but also its an early w203 with lots of known expensive issues, and the old interior(which nearly nobody likes) If that one was flooded: STAY AWAY!! it will most likely need new modules that can only be programmed by the dealer. I work at a dealer in Ga, and deal with flood issues and often there will be lots of hidden problems that show up later, with wiring etc.