C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

113 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was going to comment that my old C55 only needed a half quart every 2500 miles or so but the new owner chimed in.

OT:

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
They use a lot of oil, I usually put in a quart a month and I have had 2 C55s which both did about the same. 1500 miles a month I keep a box in my trunk. My oil light is on right now actually.
Jon, hope the C55 is treating you right! I regret selling it...often. Post some pictures, I miss that thing, especially the interior.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
On my 5.4 n/a, I had a substantial oil leak out of my oil cooler (leaving more than a few drops behind) and the car never went low until the leak became extremely serious. A few drops from a gasket will not give you a low oil light particularly when it is topped off. My previous 113, 4.3 n/a, consumed a quart between gasoline fill ups without a single drop on the floor. The dealer will tell you its normal consumption because they don't want to fix it, it isn't.... I don't care what those Germans write in a technical bulletin, it doesn't mean it is true. You aren't going to have 2 engines built side by side where one burns a quart between fill ups and the other doesn't burn a drop. Germans are known for their tight engineering tolerances and I seriously doubt build quality should vary so highly considering.

Depending on year, it is likely that one of the PO ran it with regular oil and screwed up the rings, pistons, etc. Late 90s dealerships were filling these engines up with non-syn so there were a lot of repairs to be made, much cheaper to say it is normal than admit you should have been using syn. The theory is that because dealership was running reg oil, that practice trickled down to repair shops, service shops and DIYers. It is likely that the knowledge of using the upgraded oil would have taken some time to get out including the misconception that some may have held from previous practices. My newer engine (5.4 n/a) is out of a 2002 and dealerships had already switched over to full syntec by then. So depending on if you had an owner who brought the car only to the dealer or a knowledge mechanic, you'd have an engine that runs well today.