C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Vibration Felt in Steering Wheel (Not Front End Related)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by dcbrooks3
Hey Guys,

I have been lurking since I bought an '02 C32 four years ago. Your threads have helped me keep it running with my own wrenches, but I've got an issue that I just can't figure out.

I have a vibration that is coming from the rear of the car and felt through the steering wheel (mainly) and frame. I know that it is from the back end because I set the rear end on jack stands and ran it up to 47 mph indicated without the wheels on. There was no change from being on the road.

The attached file details my findings, and I would really appreciate any help. (I had a wonderful write-up, but it was too many characters (embeded pictures?) and the system deleted it. Ouch!)

Without going into all the details, here is what I know:

1. The vibration starts at ~40 mph, peaks at 47 mph, and diminishes until 60 mph. However, from an accelerometer, it is still present at 80 mph but cannot be felt.
2. The vibration is the same under power or in neutral while at speed.
3. The peaks at ~10 Hz and ~34 Hz correspond with the half-shaft and drive-shaft rotations.
4. The vibration is present with the rear end off the ground and wheels removed.
5. Removing the 4mm Vertical Differential Mount Shim had no effect.
6. The Differential Mounts "look" okay.
7. The Rear Flex Disc has some micro-cracking.
8. The vibration may diminish with driving time, but I don't have any real data to support this.

I am ready to replace the Differential Mounts, Differential Oil, Differential Shim, and Rear Flex Disc but don't really want to troubleshoot by parts replacement. Due to the accelerometer data, I am convinced that it has something to do with the Differential. However, it could be something else (Half-Shaft Universals, Drive-Shaft Center Bearing, too much exposure to the Solar Eclipse).

Please take a look at the attaced Word document. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-dcbrooks3

TL/DR: Vibration in the steering wheel at the same frequency as the Half-Shafts and Drive-Shaft.
Hi DCBrook did turn your bad vibration into only good vibrations ? Did it pay off for you ?