C32 - Valeo radiator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C32 - Valeo radiator?

Hey Guys,

I’m considering an ‘02 C32 w/ 70k miles. I’ve read quite a few times about this issue with coolant contamination in the trans from the oe valeo radiator.

How common is the problem? I plan to have the car inspected prior to purchasing. Is there something specific I should ask them to check to confirm everything is in order? I will most likely change the radiator if I move forward w/ the purchase. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by RPB; 09-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
If you cannot get firm evidence that the radiator has been replaced, then assume it has not been, and plan on doing it. Some folks say that it's only the early ones that are prone to the issue. There is some debate over whether any Valeo radiator should be replaced, I'm personally in the camp that believes newer Valeos should be fine - as long as you have solid evidence it was replaced at some point. I wouldn't trust any Valeo from '02. Previous owner of mine replaced the original radiator with a new Valeo from the dealership a couple years ago, after having a glycol test done on the transmission fluid to confirm there was no contamination. I'm fine with the new Valeo.

Regardless, if you don't have evidence the original has been replaced, plan on replacing it. And whether or not it has been replaced, have a glycol test done. Even if the radiator is new, it doesn't mean the transmission isn't contaminated.

Also, not radiator related, check the plastic belt idler pulley for any amount of play, and if you have feeler gauges check the supercharger pulley gap. Mine, when I got it with 87k miles, had almost twice the maximum allowable clutch gap and had a pretty sloppy idler pulley.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:32 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate the thorough feedback.