C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Gear shifter Center Console help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Gear shifter Center Console help

So, i bought this C55 back in March and i noticed they used glue to hold down the shift bracket and i am not sure how to get this stuff off without damaging the plastics and paint, I have whole new bracket and the black indicator portion to replace it all, please note i am aware the M C/S button is different with my replacement and will still do the same job. Also correct me if i am wrong but i think because of how old the leather is it was causing the bracket to be pulled off because its stiff and shrunk.

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Stuck hard glue

Old stiff leather shift and old Gear indicator

New Bracket and Leather Honey to restore the Gear Stick
Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
I can think of several solvents that would take care of that glue substance, but I think most of them would also damage the clearcoat on that trim. The only thing I can think of to try that should be safe for the clearcoat, is WD-40. It's great at dissolving most adhesives. Spray some on there, it should soften it enough to get off the worst of it with a soft plastic or wood scraper. Then spray it again and you can probably work the rest of it off with a rag.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mars-red
I can think of several solvents that would take care of that glue substance, but I think most of them would also damage the clearcoat on that trim. The only thing I can think of to try that should be safe for the clearcoat, is WD-40. It's great at dissolving most adhesives. Spray some on there, it should soften it enough to get off the worst of it with a soft plastic or wood scraper. Then spray it again and you can probably work the rest of it off with a rag.
Well tried soak in hot water and WD 40 and didn't work so i found a replacement from a member! Thanks for the reply!