C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How is your c32/c55 doing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 S55 AMG Designo, (sold)2001 ML55 Designo, (sold)2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
How is your c32/c55 doing?

Been a while since I posted here. I still read a lot of what is posted though. Sad to see some c32's/c55's coming and going. I read someone just doesnt want to deal with theirs anymore. Some people have owned theirs for 10 years plus.

Where are my healthy and running w203s at? I am blessed to have a c32 that despite maintenance and wear and tear items, has never left me stranded. In the almost three years and 25k miles that I've put on it, the engine has never let go. The trans had a issue before but it never stopped working. I did my best to supply quality parts to keep it running.

I am so glad to have bought this damn car that I want to hear how well yours is doing. This forum usually has questions for issues or fixes but I want to read how yours hasnt had an issue in X amount of days,months, etc. Do you daily it? Anyone trying to street race you on your commute? Did you recently reset the throttle response? Does your car still make you smile despite being almost 15-20 years old. Did you recently sell it and now regret it? What have you recently performed on it to keep it running?

It's 2019 and forums are always filled with how their car has an engine light on or how to fix their issue. Hardly do we see someone promoting how reliable its been regularly. I know it would get old considering we know the car is pretty reliable but its nice to read about and it gives future owners more recent confirmation that they are still viable options in a world where older cars are no competition for depreciating newer models.

Early last year, I tried to sell my c32. Thank the heavens I had tire kickers. I was ready to sell for 2500. Today I see it in my driveway and wince at the thought of someone else owning my c32. I took so long to find this one. I bothered so many people, refreshed so many listings to find out they were gone, no replies, different colors, options, and conditions. I found MY c32 and it truly is mine.

So, again, what have you done to yours recently that just improves or keeps it running?

For me, well I finally got rid of the damn vibration at idle. I replaced the motor and trans mounts with stock lemforder ones(mechanic charged me 270 for all 3 when other places quoted 390 an up). I wanted to get the clk63 black series ones because they were cheaper and supposedly were a better choice. I strongly advise going with the stock option. I never thought i'd see the day where my c32 feels like a prius when I turn it on. I love it. I also changed the oil and filter, air filter, new wahler thermostat, zerex g05 coolant change, drive belt, supercharger oil change, valve cover gaskets, new rear tires, and next paycheck a suspension refresh (not shocks or springs)
I always wanted to modify the car but never brought myself to doing it. Although it would be awesome, mine is just way too classy and just right. I opted to keep everything stock. A couple months ago it passed smog with flying colors.

None of this is or was done to because the car was in dire need of it. I have done a pretty good job of maintaining it and felt it deserved of a lot more new parts. So throughout this year I will be refreshing as much as possible. How about you?

I will also be getting around to replacing the bumper since I bought it with damage. Just need to find an amg or sport bumper that will fit it. Anyone know if an 05 sport package c230 bumper will fit? the bumpers look identical and dont resemble the c55 bumper in anyway.

I hope to read about how well yours is doing and hopefully how you plan to keep it that way.

Last edited by Oshkoshbigjosh; 01-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
I'm a new owner (bought fall 2018) of a lovely '05 with about 59k kms (~37k miles). I bought the C55 as my first AMG mainly because of the simplicity and reliability. I've only put a few thousand km on it and now it is parked for winter. The car has hardly been used for the last several years, so it has of course needed some TLC. It wasn't exactly loved by its previous owner. Just kind of forgotten about. But always garaged, never seen winter.

I've done an oil change and transmission service as the connector plug started leaking over the winter. Also did the valve cover gaskets and new air filters.

I also have got some new Kleemann headers and will be getting them installed with a tune, primary cat delete, and CLK63 black series engine mounts. That will all be done later this winter. Considering some alternative wheels as well, but otherwise I plan on not doing much else to her (unless I can get an LSD for a reasonable price).

Overall it has been a very fun car to own so far. Hopefully I will be saying the same in five years!

How is your c32/c55 doing?-tmitwuz.jpg
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32, '14 Durango R/T, '10 Touareg TDI
I have an '03 C32 with 89K miles. I bought it around 2012 with 39K miles. A great car that has been extremely reliable. Weekend car and road trip car. Regular maintenance and upgrades only, no failures. Eurocharged headers, supercharger pulley, intake, Eibach springs, tuning and that is about it. The only issue is rear tire wear :-)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 ML350, 2005 C55, 2004 E55
05 C55, about to hit 80k miles. Running perfectly besides the annoying bulb warnings. Has shorty headers, removed secondaries and just ordered a Race IQ burble tune, can't wait to try it out.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2006 C55, 2004 ML350
First off this was my dream car for two years; small car with a big V8 = awesome. I bought my 06 C55 in June '18 with 165K. I have put another 10k on it already (moved from California to the mid-west) and its been great. The rear main seal leaks a bit, but the liqui moly oil saver additive helped that out a lot. Never had any big problems, but suspension (struts, strut bearings) is due to be replaced after I get my tax return. When I buy cars I always change all fluids and filters, but I have yet to tackle the rear diff oil. Does anyone have any gear oil recommendations for this? Otherwise I just replaced the fog lights as they were cracked, and the HID ballast went out that was replaced with one from amazon for about $50. I'm a solid DIYer so I can do almost everything myself, IMO the only way to own one of these cars. I also need to have someone correct the paint, as there are a bunch of spider webs in the dark blue paint.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C32 amg

I have c32amg, I have had for over 5 years, I love and would never get rid of it, I have redid everything on it full suspension bilstien pss9 and every other suspension part u can change wheels and tires and yes all the go fast mods, it gets tracked 3-4 times a year and takes family to cottage, it gets driven 7-8 months of the year, live in Canada

Last edited by Morphh; 01-30-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
I bought my '04 c32 about 10 years ago with 70K miles on it. Now has 213K. I almost sold it last year, thought I needed to upgrade to a c63 and for a while owned both cars, but I couldn't shake the idea that the c63 wasn't that much better than the c32 (paid $26k for a 2011 63 with the development package). The ride in the 63 ended up being just too punishing and I had a monthly payment without the clear joy increase. I sold it back after 5 months and am still daily-driving the 32.

I've had the common issues - 3-4 years ago was living with the trans jerk on 1-2 upshift that was fixed thanks to this forum and made me fall in love with the car again; intercooler sprung a leak and had to be replaced, electronic throttle body failed, but really over 10 years it's been pretty solid with tons of grins. A little rust around the rear wheel openings, but the doors still slam like a hatch on a Panzer (like I'd know...), and the interior is tear-free and looks like it did when I bought it. Been paid for for 6 years, and the value proposition - most I could get for it would be $2k in my opinion - just screams keep it. I've regretted selling several cars in my day, don't want to add this one to this list. It stays.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 PM

2005 S55 AMG Designo, (sold)2001 ML55 Designo, (sold)2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
Originally Posted by a2khalid
I'm a new owner (bought fall 2018) of a lovely '05 with about 59k kms (~37k miles). I bought the C55 as my first AMG mainly because of the simplicity and reliability. I've only put a few thousand km on it and now it is parked for winter. The car has hardly been used for the last several years, so it has of course needed some TLC. It wasn't exactly loved by its previous owner. Just kind of forgotten about. But always garaged, never seen winter.

I've done an oil change and transmission service as the connector plug started leaking over the winter. Also did the valve cover gaskets and new air filters.

I also have got some new Kleemann headers and will be getting them installed with a tune, primary cat delete, and CLK63 black series engine mounts. That will all be done later this winter. Considering some alternative wheels as well, but otherwise I plan on not doing much else to her (unless I can get an LSD for a reasonable price).

Overall it has been a very fun car to own so far. Hopefully I will be saying the same in five years!

Late reply due to work but something about a clean silver C55/C32. It is such a clean classy car. Doesnt get in your face. Super sleeper. I hope you enjoy more time and miles in yours. Kleemann headers will sound so crisp especially w cat delete on the v8. Who would be tuning your car? eurocharged? raceiq? not too many options for the w203. def do your research.I've seen used lsd's for 800-1000.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by steverwrx
I have an '03 C32 with 89K miles. I bought it around 2012 with 39K miles. A great car that has been extremely reliable. Weekend car and road trip car. Regular maintenance and upgrades only, no failures. Eurocharged headers, supercharger pulley, intake, Eibach springs, tuning and that is about it. The only issue is rear tire wear :-)
Thats a fairly balanced amount of mile per year count you have on it. I am glad to hear of such long term reliability and thats why I pulled the trigger on mine. It's been the most reliable car my family has owned thats not on warranty. Whats the mm on that pulley you got? I've been considering a pulley and maybe headers again w a tune just because its pretty much a safe and well documented mod for these cars. I also have tire wear issues but I think thats more on us getting a little throttle happy.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fantomas
05 C55, about to hit 80k miles. Running perfectly besides the annoying bulb warnings. Has shorty headers, removed secondaries and just ordered a Race IQ burble tune, can't wait to try it out.
Such low miles for a 55. I also keep getting bulb warnings that I've reset mutliple times. Just keeps coming back. All lights are functioning. Sec cats removed must make it sounds so aggressive. Please update here or your own thread about the tune. I've seen so much promotion on youtube about raceiq that its been getting me thinking.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by norcalcasey
First off this was my dream car for two years; small car with a big V8 = awesome. I bought my 06 C55 in June '18 with 165K. I have put another 10k on it already (moved from California to the mid-west) and its been great. The rear main seal leaks a bit, but the liqui moly oil saver additive helped that out a lot. Never had any big problems, but suspension (struts, strut bearings) is due to be replaced after I get my tax return. When I buy cars I always change all fluids and filters, but I have yet to tackle the rear diff oil. Does anyone have any gear oil recommendations for this? Otherwise I just replaced the fog lights as they were cracked, and the HID ballast went out that was replaced with one from amazon for about $50. I'm a solid DIYer so I can do almost everything myself, IMO the only way to own one of these cars. I also need to have someone correct the paint, as there are a bunch of spider webs in the dark blue paint.
I agree heavily on being diy for these cars cause you need to know the job was done right. I have been for the most part but luckily I have a very trust worthy mechanic that does not tack on a "its an amg so it costs more" fee.

I have always liked the c55 and maybe I will also be getting a higher milage one if the price is right in the future. I have read about the rear main seals leaking and luckily it hasnt stopped anyones car from actually running properly. I hope you own it for long and keep adding miles with minor issues. Maybe someone can chime in on a more recent rear diff solution that doesnt involve taking it to a dealer and getting screwed on pricing.

I also need to get a paint correction on some panels. Dark blue paint must look beautiful in the sunlight. Should look amazing with a paint correction and polish. are your wheels stock monoblocks? if yes, are they matte or chrome? if not what do you have as aftermarket ?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 287 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Other than an oil leak that I cant figure out its good.....no issues.

It 93k miles but Im still wanting a clean w202 more than the c55
Old 02-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Morphh

I have c32amg, I have had for over 5 years, I love and would never get rid of it, I have redid everything on it full suspension bilstien pss9 and every other suspension part u can change wheels and tires and yes all the go fast mods, it gets tracked 3-4 times a year and takes family to cottage, it gets driven 7-8 months of the year, live in Canada

I love that first sentence because now its truly how I feel. I will never get rid of this car. Good to hear suspension has been paid attention to so that makes me want to buy the parts for mine. Good to hear enjoyment on the mods. How long have the mods been on the car? Hows the car now in the canadian weather?

Those wheels are damn good. I would only get sl55 turbine wheels, hre's (forgot the name of the type), and ones identical to yours. I still love the the stock wheels but damn those ones you have look beast.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PJmak
Other than an oil leak that I cant figure out its good.....no issues.

It 93k miles but Im still wanting a clean w202 more than the c55
Good to hear. How about a cheap 202 with an m113 swap? or even better but rarer, a real w202 c55? Either way, I also love the boxy w202. So many have gone for sale near me at wild varied prices. Usually craigslist keeps me updated on them when I search for any amg. Any specific color youre looking for?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jneal3110
I bought my '04 c32 about 10 years ago with 70K miles on it. Now has 213K. I almost sold it last year, thought I needed to upgrade to a c63 and for a while owned both cars, but I couldn't shake the idea that the c63 wasn't that much better than the c32 (paid $26k for a 2011 63 with the development package). The ride in the 63 ended up being just too punishing and I had a monthly payment without the clear joy increase. I sold it back after 5 months and am still daily-driving the 32.

I've had the common issues - 3-4 years ago was living with the trans jerk on 1-2 upshift that was fixed thanks to this forum and made me fall in love with the car again; intercooler sprung a leak and had to be replaced, electronic throttle body failed, but really over 10 years it's been pretty solid with tons of grins. A little rust around the rear wheel openings, but the doors still slam like a hatch on a Panzer (like I'd know...), and the interior is tear-free and looks like it did when I bought it. Been paid for for 6 years, and the value proposition - most I could get for it would be $2k in my opinion - just screams keep it. I've regretted selling several cars in my day, don't want to add this one to this list. It stays.
10 years and over 130k put on it. holy hell. true 32 veteran. Crazy comparison between the 63. I also have looked at 63's because they are getting crazy cheap but I cant imagine it being so much better than my 32 besides modern tech and firmer ride. I am happy with 350 horses (prbably less now thats its old).

Ahh yes the trans jerk that still plagues my car. solenoids are still expensive for me so ill make do. a throttle rese usually keeps me inline. Nice to hear about another 04. seems the end years are less troublesome. I hope to feel the same when I eventually get the new fast car bug. That resale value also kept me from selling it. Random locals just dont understand that KBB doesnt do these cars justice. When I let people test drive mine to make a deal, they loved the damn car but then hit me with the blue book value and costs of ownership and all the other bs. I keep biting my tougue and agreeing w them. They missed out. This car is indeed a little tank. So solid feeling. just baely resembles a panzer. Maybe open the sunroof and install a gauss canon

Still considering 63 or newer amg eventually? if yes, what are you looking at?

I really want an e55 or 63 estate. Will be keeping an eye out
Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh

Still considering 63 or newer amg eventually? if yes, what are you looking at?

I really want an e55 or 63 estate. Will be keeping an eye out
My mistake was getting a 63 with the development package; special option package that bumps the hp to 478 from 450 (though no peak torque increase), very stiff race-trackish damping, and awesome red brake calipers. It was a great car, but the ride was really stiff and I found myself avoiding certain roads altogether that the 32 handled fine. I still think the c-class amg is the sweetspot for me personally, but I won't be looking again until something really major lets go in the 32. I'm also of the opinion that the use of synthetic oil over the life of the engine makes a big difference and 200k on this one really isn't the same as 200k on a similar engine w/o synthetics. I'm half expecting to see 300k on this motor, it still pulls really strong.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 287 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh
Good to hear. How about a cheap 202 with an m113 swap? or even better but rarer, a real w202 c55? Either way, I also love the boxy w202. So many have gone for sale near me at wild varied prices. Usually craigslist keeps me updated on them when I search for any amg. Any specific color youre looking for?
I still have my 98 c43 with the ml 5.4 m113 swap but its in pretty bad shape and is salvage title. Ill be selling it soon but even as is I just like it better for some reason.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2006 C55, 2004 ML350
Thanks for the reply. The blue really does like great in the sun. The wheels are the stock c55 18's powder coated gunmetal. Looks great.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jneal3110
My mistake was getting a 63 with the development package; special option package that bumps the hp to 478 from 450 (though no peak torque increase), very stiff race-trackish damping, and awesome red brake calipers. It was a great car, but the ride was really stiff and I found myself avoiding certain roads altogether that the 32 handled fine. I still think the c-class amg is the sweetspot for me personally, but I won't be looking again until something really major lets go in the 32. I'm also of the opinion that the use of synthetic oil over the life of the engine makes a big difference and 200k on this one really isn't the same as 200k on a similar engine w/o synthetics. I'm half expecting to see 300k on this motor, it still pulls really strong.

Still you got to enjoy a c63 for a while. Some would call you crazy for saying the 32 was better in the comfort department. Also good to hear its still pulling at that milage. I've seen high milage c32's on offerup, craigslist, and auto tempest with over 200k that are neglected and/or just not worth buying for anyone unless you are seriously trying to lose money. If youre using full synthetic like me too, youre def gonna keep that motor running strong. Keep it going.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by PJmak
I still have my 98 c43 with the ml 5.4 m113 swap but its in pretty bad shape and is salvage title. Ill be selling it soon but even as is I just like it better for some reason.
Whats your price range and condition? There are some really good ones or cheap and good condition ones near me in CA with fair milage (110k-150k). There is one from a collector here but its pricy https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...808727041.html and another one half the price but probably less desirable https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/c...806475683.html
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by norcalcasey
Thanks for the reply. The blue really does like great in the sun. The wheels are the stock c55 18's powder coated gunmetal. Looks great.
These cars looks so damn good in a dark color and the blue just pops out in the sun. I love my black color but before I bought it, I was talking to a guy about buying his really high milage c55 in obsidian blue. Exterior was immaculate but the pricing at that milage just wasnt doing it for me and the distance was off putting. I'm happy with my 32 but I will not deny that a 55 in that color or black would be much better. Love yours though man and I'm glad to see recent buyers ending up on the forums to keep them relevant and maintained. I am seriosuly considering powder coating my wheels too or rechromed because the rear are a bit pitted and dull in some areas. Looking into a quad exhaust setup and diffuser before that though. You got them powder coated or they came like that?Do you like the stock monoblocks or are you itching for some aftermarket ones? I think the monoblocks are really nice and leave them on so that people can believe its a real c32 but I do see some nice aftermarket ones pop up locally and I just clench my wallet a little harder.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C32 amg
I have had 65mm sc pulley and ex tune heat exchanger split cooling since I got car 5 years ago, redoing suspension was best thing ever, car has 132,000kilometers doesn’t get driven in winter. Have had to replace Intercooler pump twice. But car always puts smile on my face, I did race c63amg with EC v5 tune Intake and exhaust, and to my surprise I did get him to 100mph after that he was starting to pull on me.
Car does everything I need baby sit in back, go to cottage with family take wife out for dinner take to track 1/4mile and road course, it doesn’t beat u up, I did put bilstien pss9 coilovers on softest setting and redid every suspension part u can do. Still have stock sway bars. Have to replace front screen pixels fade when hot. Will do that this spring. I have looked at other cars but for daily it perfect.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C32 AMG by Celeris
My c32 “blues dream” from Spain 🇪🇸
Mods: intake sl55 amg, kompressor pulley 65mm,shortyheaders Eurocharged, sport catalysts 150 cpsi,delete medium exhaust,rear exhaust Supersprint,intercooler kompressor Speedriven,big watercooler and pump c30 Johnson,keys Needwings,ECU Eurocharged and TCU Eurocharged with manual mode "M" to put it in the Dynometer.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM

C32 AMG by Celeris

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

C32 AMG by Celeris
Others mods: interior wheel dtm carbon,bilstein b14,wheels 18” c55,lip c55, and more 🙆🏻*♂️

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is your c32/c55 doing?