Funny Story: Dealer & Bi-Xenon Activation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Funny Story: Dealer & Bi-Xenon Activation

Warning: Long read but a good story that shows the power of the MBWorld Forums.

So, as most of you know via the thread down a ways here, I recently bought bi-xenon and had them installed & activated (well, sorta).

At first, I didn't think this was possible because we only have one true MB dealership in our area and I called them once to find out. I got another service advisor on the phone who told me "We don't do this...blah, blah, blah." So, I gave up. Then I thought how my service advisor was always cool and called him up. He said no problem at all. So, I got on the phone and purchased myself a set of bi-xenon...

I had them installed last Thursday (along w/ the clear fogs) by my tech shop. I had to get the car on Thursday evening because I had an appointment w/ my service advisor (well really, he just said come in and I'll hook you up ).

I get to the dealership on Friday morning and gave him the car. He brought it out in about 8 minutes with the lights on (and not doing the crazy strobe light thingy). I was happy, no charge, and went on my way.

So, I get home and then get ready to leave and check in the office to see what's up. My bi-xenon hesitate to ignite and delay but finally go on. I'm like, WTF...

After a few more errands around town and testing the ignition of the lights they finally start doing the strobe thingy again...no worky. To make it even worse, my RH side citylight (or parking light) will not go off NO MATTER WHAT . I take the two citylight bulbs out until I can get back up to the dealership. The rest of the weekend I have to turn on the lights before I start the car, wait 10 seconds, and start the car... pure GHETTO .

So yesterday I head up to the dealership after a conversation w/ my tech. on Monday morning. He tells me that he can't believe that my bi-xenon doesn't work and that they went through the bi-xenon "present" process. I told him I can provide pictures of the activation step-by-step. He was amazed.... I get there, pull the car in and he and another tech. hook my car up to the $40,000 laptop computer (it's a sweet device).

I'm standing right there and we go through the all the steps and get it set to "present". He exits the program and starts messing w/ the retarded, psycho citylight that won't go off. He goes back into the computer and it says "xenon not present" . We go into it again and change to "present". I say, "hit F5" (it looks like a save/transfer button). Bam, "transferring settings" . I have come to the conclusion (I wasn't there) that my tech. had the car off, the bi-xenon on, and did the settings. So, when he started the car up, the lights were on the 10+ seconds it takes to work the ghetto way. He didn't think twice about them not working because they did when he pulled out of the service area and brought the car to me.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job offer but my point is these forums make the consumer look like a freakin' pro compared to the dealership. I told my tech., "you can keep the pics for future reference."

PS-The psycho citylight was caused by the bi-xenon going crazy and they had to replace the entire module that controls the RH side parking lights.

*The dealership (well, really my tech.) didn't charge me for anything. Needless to say, I am one of the few that have a standup dealership.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
cool story, MBAMGPWR. Could you e-mail me the directions for switching to xenon present so it'll be easier when I go to the dealer to have it switched?

tia,
Jon L.
jlim@trinity.edu
Old 06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally posted by jon91581
cool story, MBAMGPWR. Could you e-mail me the directions for switching to xenon present so it'll be easier when I go to the dealer to have it switched?

tia,
Jon L.
jlim@trinity.edu
I'll just post the link here on this thread for anyone else who wants it. It was posted a while back on another thread. Tell you exactly what you need to do step-by-step (but remember, hit F5 when you've changed it to "present" to transfer ).

Xenon Present Instructions
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 325i
Cool Dude
Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
haha, well done.

mbworlders > dealer
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
when all fails.. CTRL+ALT+Delete!! :p
Old 06-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Black C 240
MBAMGPWR, where are you located....?
Anyone have a cool dealer in GA? I have had no luck with mine....all the crap they give me I am not buying until I can find one that understands and will activate - even at a charge!
JBC
Old 06-23-2004, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
I'm in Missouri. I don't think the dealership would do this for just anyone. Just I've purchased 6 Mercedes from this dealership and the same tech has been with me the whole way. Although, for a 5 min. job to hook your car up to a computer, I don't think a MB owner could ask for much less from a dealership.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally posted by MBAMGPWR
I'm in Missouri. I don't think the dealership would do this for just anyone. Just I've purchased 6 Mercedes from this dealership and the same tech has been with me the whole way. Although, for a 5 min. job to hook your car up to a computer, I don't think a MB owner could ask for much less from a dealership.
Just curious which dealer, in am in MO also, but on the Kansas line. Are you in the St. Louis area?