finally fixed fixed suspension....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:59 PM
IS1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
finally fixed fixed suspension....

Ever since installing my H&R coilovers and new 19" wheels I have had rubbing at every bump in the rear and horrible clanking noises from the rear. They were raised to their highest point and still rubbed. Well finally they found the H&R springs were moving around to much and the rubber bushing were not staying seated. We put the original springs back in and it sits about 1/2" taller and no noise or rubbing. I am a little pissed I wasted $2k+ on the coilovers and countless hrs. of labor when the original springs make the 19's look great. The tire sits maybe 1" below the fender. I don't understand how anyone with 19's and H&R's does not rub? And yes I did have custom Iforged wheels made specifically for the coilovers. Please enlighten me!
Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by IS1
Ever since installing my H&R coilovers and new 19" wheels I have had rubbing at every bump in the rear and horrible clanking noises from the rear. They were raised to their highest point and still rubbed. Well finally they found the H&R springs were moving around to much and the rubber bushing were not staying seated. We put the original springs back in and it sits about 1/2" taller and no noise or rubbing. I am a little pissed I wasted $2k+ on the coilovers and countless hrs. of labor when the original springs make the 19's look great. The tire sits maybe 1" below the fender. I don't understand how anyone with 19's and H&R's does not rub? And yes I did have custom Iforged wheels made specifically for the coilovers. Please enlighten me!
Thanks
So what are the specs on the custom wheels? Im betting either they didnt build them to proper spec (whichwouldnt be surprising of iforged) or you are using the wrong size tires.

Lets see some pics!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
IS1

02 C32
I don't know where the offsets would be printed on the wheel and they are not on my invoice. I am using Falken FK451 (235/35/19) & (265/30/19). The wheels do not stick out and brake clearance is minimal.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no difference between a coilover and non-coilover set up for the rear of the car in terms of wheel clearance. The spring is inboard of the shock which is in the same location as stock. The coilover spring is the same size OD as the stock spring. H&R should have provided you with a factory spring pad like the other systems do. You can actually re-use the pad that was already there and the H&R should fit fine within it at the top of the pigtail (someone confirm this, Vadim?). This is how it is configured in the RS. 265's are fine usually. Did you install the wheels first to determine if the wheels/tires rubbed before installing the coilovers? What is the section width mounted for the Falkens? It is most likely the wheel's offset. What is the width of the rear wheel? Anything more than 9.5 will be a problem with an ET of less than 32mm.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:23 AM
I1 ULOOZ

I have H&R springs and custom built wheels from HRE and my driver rear still rubs like crazy. I have dremeled a whole lot and no help. I am thinking of rasing the rear pads to dot 4. I have determined that the rubbing is caused by the metal bracket, but the wierd thing is its only that one side. I hope this helps because these things can be pretty frustrating. If rasing the car will not work I guess I need to do something wth that metal bracket.

But anyway I would love to see how your car looks with the OEM springs, please do post some pics.

Thanks Edward
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
To quote a good friend of mine 'If it dont rub it dont fit' Joking aside though you should not experience any problems with a custom wheel ordered direct from HRE or Iforged since they are built to spec. I know quite a few that have CO with HRE and quite a few that have CO with Iforged and I dont hear this story unless they were built wrong on which case my buddy had his wheel sent back to Iforged and then it was corrected. I think the shops that you took your car too did not correctly asses your problem and unfortunately YOU ended up spending all that money
Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
IS1

02 C32
I have emailed iforged requesting my offsets since they were not on my packing checklist. I will see what they say and maybe have to send them back.
Dean
Old 07-02-2004, 02:49 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
To quote a good friend of mine 'If it dont rub it dont fit' Joking aside though you should not experience any problems with a custom wheel ordered direct from HRE or Iforged since they are built to spec. I know quite a few that have CO with HRE and quite a few that have CO with Iforged and I dont hear this story unless they were built wrong on which case my buddy had his wheel sent back to Iforged and then it was corrected. I think the shops that you took your car too did not correctly asses your problem and unfortunately YOU ended up spending all that money

Well if thats the case than I should find out my off set also!? '
Also I have H&R springs not CO.

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 07-02-2004 at 02:52 PM.