C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Upgraded Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Upgraded Pads and Rotors

What companies make upgraded pads for our cars? The only company that I have found that makes better pads is "The Brake Man", and they have street and Track pads. I was hoping that Porterfield or Hawk would make them, but it does not seem that they do.

Also, has anyone found a company that makes upgraded rotors for our car? I emailed DBA about it, but they did not respond.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The Porterfield R4-S is available for the front and rear of the C32. Go to porterfield-brakes.com
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The Porterfield R4-S is available for the front and rear of the C32. Go to porterfield-brakes.com
I had checked their site before and did not see it, but maybe I missed it. Thanks for the info, and I will check again!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:04 AM

AaronC,

I have tried the following pads on my car and here is what I think about them.

MB OEM Pads - These pads are pretty good as far as OEM goes. Good stopping power but they are just too soft. I went through a whole set in 2 driver's ed events and I was not braking especially hard. Good for the street but inadequate for the track and also the dust level is pretty high.

Axxis Deluxe Hi Perf Street Pads - These pads are supposed to be a street/track compromise and I like these very much. I would definitely recommend these. The cold grip is very good and don't squeek at all. Also the dust level seems to be lower than OEM but it is very hard to measure as I drive my car hard. I took these to the track and they grip very well and don't fade as much as the OEM pads. However their durability is quite short. I actually finished a set in 1 day but that was an extended test and tune day so it was about 3 hrs of track time. This fits exactly like stock and also has a hole for the brake pad sensor.

Porterfield R4E - These are my favorite and are more geared towards track and driving events. I use these on the street as well. The grip is very good the cold grip isn't as great as the Axxis but once heated they grip just as good. The best part of these pads are there is soo much pad material . Fade is much much better with these pads because of the amount of pad matrial and the material has a higher temp rating too. Though I use these on the street they do have tendency to squeek and squeal. I don't mind but most people around do tend to look at you when you brake. It isn't there all the time but I think it has to do with inconsistencies in the pad material. It is probably a small patch of harder metal that causes it to squeal as the squeel developed after a track day and went away after another. These pads lasted me through 2 extended track events (more than 4 hrs of track time) and some street driving and I would highly recommend these for a combination of driving events and street use. Dust level seems less but I really wouldn't know because I used these mostly on the track and regardless of what pad you have when you wear through the pad that dust has to go somewhere. The only downside to this pad is that you can't utilize the brake sensor. I just tied the sensor with a ziptie to the brake line so that I won't have that annoying brake pad wear message.

So in general out of the ones I tried I would recommend the Axxis for street use as they have all the best qualities of OEM but are a much better pad. For street/track the porterfield R4E is my choice. I plan to try the porterfield R4 (race pads) next and then see what I like better. If it is a race pad you are after then make sure you choose wisely as our rotor is fairly soft and the pad can eat through the rotor material. I also plan on try the pagid orange and any others that are out there.

There are more pads out there for our car and I think Steve (aka SMGC32) has tried a few others not listed here. Maybe he can comment on those.

Also as for rotors I have only tried the stock ones. I just put on a new one and they are pretty good. I think evosport may know of some upgraded rotors. I also plan on upgrading my rotors so if anybody knows or has tried a different one please post a writeup. Thanks.

Prasith
Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM

C32
Good info, thanks! I may give the Axxis ones a shot.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:13 PM

W211 E63
I have Hawk Blue that I bought from last year,, will let the forum know once I have them installed.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 PM

C32 AMG, CLK 320
Don't use the Hawk blues on the street. They will eat your discs.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:42 PM

yes I have heard many bad stories using hawk blue on the street.

Also the pad material (and rotor material) can become embedded in your paint as well. I know this happens with the BMW's and if you use it on a rainy day the material can actually rust onto your paint and wheels.

But they are supposed to grip like no other.

Prasith
Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The Porterfield R4-S pads are like stock pads on the street. No squeeks, very low dust as compared to stock and are more than likely better than stock on the track. They also have good initial bite like the stockers.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree that the R4-S's are a great street pad and have run them for years on my other car. Great stopping power and no squeal. But they are street pad meant for the street and occational agressive driving. Under heavy and repeated agressive braking they don't hold up well in track use unless you are easy on the brakes. Their maximum operating temperatures are below most track pads, but equal or greater than most street pads. Their friction coefficent is lower as well. You will get some pad fade at extreme temperatures and pad material will be transferred to the rotors under this abusive environment causing shuddering. The R4-S is a great all around dual purpose pad for those that don't abuse their brakes and go to an occational light track day. There is no comparison to Porterfield's racier offerings like the R4-E and R4-R, both of which significantly outperform the R4-S on the track. The R4-E is a new pad than the much older R4-R. I have used both in the BMW many times and prefer the R pad for its better bite, but have come to prefer the E pad for its longevity and streetability. The E's squeal a bit most of the time and the R's make your arrival noticable at all times and take a little longer to warm up. The R's are not as effective during your first few stops in the morning when you may need them. Porterfield produces the S pad as stock, but will make any compound you wish with the mold they have for the stock C32 AMG caliper. Call Porterfield direct for best customer service.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:13 PM

smg,

what about the pagid orange you currently run? How would you rate those. I am actually looking for another set of pads as well and am probably going to go with the r4-r. How are they on the rotors?

Thanks.

Prasith
Old 07-21-2004, 01:14 AM

For a track pad The R4-R's are not that hard on rotors and build up a good layer of material on the rotor's surface, as do the Pagid's. I am very happy with the performance of the Pagid Orange on the C32 with the BBK but the noise is tiresome, although I am willing to live with it to have a dual purpose pad. I have not tried them in the BMW but will try them next time around for comparison. They should be in the same league as the the R4-R's in terms of performance and most would argue that they are a better pad, but at a higher price. Neither one is an ultimate track pad, but both can be run on the street. The axxis pads would be a mistake for the track on such a heavy car as the C32. They just can't handle the heat. For a 2600lb car, they could work out ok for a dual purpose pad on brake friendly tracks.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:47 PM
acm
Almost a Member!

'02 C32 AMG
Question

Speaking of new brake pads, is there anything special about changing the pads on the stock C32 brakes? Is the procedure more or less the same as any other car or is there anything different to watch out for?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:25 PM

It is easier than most cars. Just pop the pins, release the retaining clip, and slip the pads in and out, being careful not to scratch the piston. Same proceedure as in a strip club...
Old 09-21-2004, 12:07 AM

Axxis pads for C32. Where can I get them?

After reading through these posts, I am considering Axxis pads for my C32. However, I can't easily find Axxis pads for the C32 based on surfing the net.
Does anyone know a good place to get these?

Thanks. - TK
Old 09-21-2004, 01:01 AM

I hear a lot of people talk about upgrading their pads because the stock ones are just "awful" (not saying anyone in this thread believes it), but could someone run through the reasons to be at the stock pad?

So far I have gathered that pad durability is an issue, for some brake dust, for some fade, but what really makes them worth the extra cost?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I really want to know as brakes and pads are probably my weakest area of automotive knowledge.

Also, can anyone comment on how these big brake kits offer so much more swept area, but usually take more feet to stop from a given mph? Are the car mags just doing something wrong?

Lastly, to what extent have these things been addressed in the C55 AMG?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:33 PM

W211 E63
With my limited research on the web a while back ago.

Seems like C32's Brembo caliper uses Hawk HB181 or Pagid U1427 pad sizes.

Late model Nissan 350Z Track uses the same pads, if it is confirmed it will open up our pad choices to other popular brands (Endless, Project u, Nismo....).

FYI, seems like early BMW 840/850i uses the same pads as well.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:29 PM

2003 CLK 320
I have the r4-s. Personally, I think they do not feel much different than stock. Much less dust though but still got to clean it every week or two. I have gotten brake fade after extended driving and it does squeal now that it is more worn when going very slow with lots of torque like downhill but not anytime else. Others have gotten squealing with this pad if you stf, but I would probably still get these again unless something better comes along.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
?

No affense, but arent the Mercedes Benz AMG Brakes well enough for the non-compition driving?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM

2012 GL550
When you guys swap out pads like this for street and track or just trying other pads out, do you guys touch the rotor at all or just simply swap the pads out to another set and break them in.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:01 AM

If you mean change out the rotor, I do not and don't think it necessary as long as there is enough rotor thickness left to last another track day. Prasith, I will be trying out the Pagid 14's on the front with the 4-4's in the back this weekend to see if there is any improvement. Just got some PFC 01's and 97's for the BMW and should test those soon as well to see if there is any improvement over the R4-R's or R4-E's, which I believe there will be.