Scanner Diagnostics Mayhem 2002 C32 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Question Scanner Diagnostics Mayhem 2002 C32 AMG

Hello All!

First post so bear with me...I have recently purchased a project car (2002 C32 Amg) which has quite a few issues....all of which I plan to solve! My car is living in Ohio with my parents, while I am in NC...bought the car while visiting for the holidays, and am returning to pick it up over winter break, fix the issues and drive it home. In the meanwhile, I am having my father run some diagnostics with a Foxwell NT624 Elite scanner and communicating the codes back to me, so I can have a nice stockpile of parts to attempt to fix the issues in about 10 days time.

Current Issues:
1.Key is beat to hell...thinking it is having some circuitry issues interfering with the EIS, CAN, or SAM units
***New key has been ordered for my pickup when I return home
2.Electronics intermittently running haywire. Instrument cluster not lighting up, turn signals not working, heated seats not turning on. It has only happened three times...all on fresh starts in cold weather. Car is then shut off and restarted, problems go away.
2a. No mechanical issues...all electronics
3. After a full diagnostics scan, the following 4 issues have presented themselves.
3a. Overhead Control Panel (OCP) Faults - 2 .
3aa. Code B1060-Stored (sun roof) . Note: Sunroof operates AOK...no issues
3bb. Code B38/2 - Stores (rain sensor).
4a. SAM Front - Faults - 5
4aa. Code B1025 - Stored - Input of terminal 15 NOT OK
4bb. Code B1032 - Stored - Input of terminal 15R NOT OK
4cc. Code B1014 - Comp E1E3 - Lamps Faulty . Note: Lamps all in working order
4dd. Code B1029 - Stored - Automcatic A/C not sending data. Note: Seems to work fine
4ee. Code B1003 - Stored/Current - M13 (Heating Water Circ Pump) or (wire to component has short circuit to ground) or (If not fitted, disregard)
5a. SAM Rear - Faults - 2
5aa.Code B1084 - Stored - Terminal 15 Plausability Error
5bb. Code B1054 - Comp E3E4 Left Lamp. Note: Seems to work fine
6a. Upper Control Panel - Faults - 2
6aa. Code Left SIH (Seat Heating) is not operating - possible short or overload - Note: Seems to be working
6bb. Controle Module N72-1 - UCP detects under/over voltage
4. Engine Diagnostics have thrown CAN-Status N73...Id= P207D-4 (Stored) No CAN or message from the control module N73 (Electronic Ignition Switch); Control Communcaitions Fault.

Ok Ok Ok. Now that Ive listed the tech details. I'd like to propose my plan of attack.
1. New Key to hopefully resolve random communicationn faults with the EIS. I need a new key anyhow so it is happening.
2. Replace the front and rear SAM modules and have them reprogrammed at my house to my VIN. It is my belief that the Front and Rear SAMs are causing the Upper Control Panel and Lower Control Panel faults internittently from a tiered standpoint (if the SAMs are bad, the panels cant communicate properly).
3. Eliminate old radio and cd changer to also take care of a known radio issue on these older C32s.

So. Does my plan of attack sound about right?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:57 AM

2002 C32 AMG
So I have located afforable used OEM units and would like to order them today.

Order of attack:
1. Pick up new key, see if communication issues resolve
2. Do basic tune up including: spark plugs all around, two coils need swapped, supercharger pulley bearing replacement (check clearances on pulley), idler pulley replacement, air intake plenum cleanout, supercharger oil replacement.
3. Schedule for programming of the front and rear SAM units (I have my data card via VIN printed with all features and codes)
a. Confirm I can replace the units without the tech having to pull the info from the current SAM units (I would think not, because if they are fried, then would they not communicate to the tech properly?
b. Go to town on replacing the old SAM units with the new units
c. Cross my fingers and pray that the re-programming goes smoothly.
4. IF I still have time....replace the OEM headunit and pull the CD changer.
5. Clean the car lol
Old 12-10-2019, 12:37 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Spoke with the dealership. Will be $139 to reflash the SAM Modules and I quote "if thats all it needs"....scary stuff
Old 12-28-2019, 06:59 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ander2j2
So I have located afforable used OEM units and would like to order them today.

Order of attack:
1. Pick up new key, see if communication issues resolve
2. Do basic tune up including: spark plugs all around, two coils need swapped, supercharger pulley bearing replacement (check clearances on pulley), idler pulley replacement, air intake plenum cleanout, supercharger oil replacement.
3. Schedule for programming of the front and rear SAM units (I have my data card via VIN printed with all features and codes)
a. Confirm I can replace the units without the tech having to pull the info from the current SAM units (I would think not, because if they are fried, then would they not communicate to the tech properly?
b. Go to town on replacing the old SAM units with the new units
c. Cross my fingers and pray that the re-programming goes smoothly.
4. IF I still have time....replace the OEM headunit and pull the CD changer.
5. Clean the car lol
1. New key has brought the car back to life.
  • The stored settings for Easy Entry/Exit started working again
  • Have not had any electrical weirdness which would point towards a bad SAM unit
  • Mercedes dealer spec'd me with the new key (chrome)
2. Did full spark plugs and wires.
  • No coils needed to be replaced, two plugs were shot
  • Smoothed out idle
  • No hesitation or bobble on deceleration RPMs around 1-1.5k
3. Not needed as of now!