Aftermarket radio installation with MOST Fiber Optic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C55 AMG, MB GLE400, Porsche 997, Ford Focus ST, Honda Accord
Aftermarket radio installation with MOST Fiber Optic

Gents,

I need some help, I went through all the postings dealing with Aftermarket HU installation dealing with the HK option and its Fiber Optic and I'm still having issues with my radio I'm installing in my 2005 C55 AMG.
These vehicles came from the dealer with the Harman Kardon upgrade and with separate Amplifier driven by the MOST Fiber Optic System.
In order to take care of this requirement, I bought a analog to Fiber Optic Decoder/converter: here's the link:
Amazon Amazon

An Apple CarPlay radio: SONY XAV-AX1000:
Amazon Amazon

And finally a box to keep the Steering Wheel commands working: CRUX SWRBM-57:
Amazon Amazon

The wiring and connections seem to be straightforward but I'm not getting any sound, the radio power-up, the Steering wheel buttons work as intended, checked the radio and it produces sound if I connect a speaker directly to the speaker wires of the radio, everything is working except that I don't have any sound...

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Frederic

Old 03-11-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Not sure if the analog to digital is going to send a signal to the amp to turn on like the oe radio.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
I haven't seen anyone that makes a MOST converter for the COMAND MCS 2 head unit, at least on Amazon. The US spec C-class/C55 came with MCS 2 which was made by Alpine, while the European C55 had the COMAND NTG2 made by Becker. This was only for the W203 models, as the US spec E-class also had the NTG2 system. Unfortunately, the two systems aren't the same. I think you may have purchased a NTG2 decoder, thinking that it would work in the W203 C-class.

OR you have a MOST ring malfunction. and it needs to be reset by pulling the fuse for the COMAND system. Make sure you have 1) at the HU red light input from amp 2) at the cd changer red light input from the HU 3) at the amp red light input from the CD changer 4) if you have SAT radio or TV tuner or any other system that is connected to the MOST system, it has a red light for input. The MCS 2 system doesn't have a separate Audio Gateway, as it is built into the HU. Also, if you decide to bypass the CD changer or any other component, you need a fiber optic loop or splice. Lastly, if you are going with a aftermarket HU or amp, you also need to replace the amp or HU. But here is where it kinda sucks- if you really want to keep the speakers, you need to process the audio signal into 7-channels, so you need a 8 channel DSP.

I just went through an ordeal trying to fix my audio system, and explored what option I had. I ended up replacing the bad HU with another one I bought off Ebay ($400) and a MOST adapter (also off Ebay cost $160). The one I bought is made by MR 12VOLTS, but there is also one made by GROM Audio for Mercedes models (I think around $270). I went with the Mr 12 VOLT version because it has BT built in, where the GROM unit doesn't (extra for another $100). The adapter replaces the CD changer,which isn't a big deal since the HU plays CDs

I hope this helps

Last edited by cbird805; 03-14-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Add additional comment
Old 04-14-2020, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 AMG C32
did you ever get it working? I went through hell with my C55 trying to make an aftermarket stereo work with adapters, etc. Never got it to work and put the factory stereo back in.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 AM

2005 C55 AMG
The Mr 12VOLT bluetooth MOST adapter works great in mine. It interfaces with the COMAND MCS2 and the steering wheel control. The phone buttons don't work, as I think it needs a factory installed phone. If you use your smartphone most of the time for music, I highly recommend the Mr12VOLT adapter. It goes where the cd changer was in the MOST ring, so I installed it right where the cd changer use to be.
The following users liked this post:
craig3x (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 AMG C32
Originally Posted by cbird805
The Mr 12VOLT bluetooth MOST adapter works great in mine. It interfaces with the COMAND MCS2 and the steering wheel control. The phone buttons don't work, as I think it needs a factory installed phone. If you use your smartphone most of the time for music, I highly recommend the Mr12VOLT adapter. It goes where the cd changer was in the MOST ring, so I installed it right where the cd changer use to be.
would you mind posting some pics of it installed, as well as a link to the Mr12volt thing, please?

Last edited by craig3x; 04-15-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:32 PM

2005 C55 AMG

This is the bluetooth MOST adapter. It installs in place of the cd changer

Steering wheel controls for volume and track up/down works with the adapter, somewhat. If you skip forward it will display "track 3", skip backwards "track 2"

Included is a microphone for hands-free.

The adapter display on COMAND. Notice the cd changer symbol in the lower left of screen.

The link to Ebay for the adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...72.m2749.l2649

I added a bluetooth remote control, so I can bring up Siri on my phone remotely. by long pressing the > button. It's attached to a metal plate by magnet.