Wheel Hubs striped threads!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes C32
Wheel Hubs striped threads!

Hey guys!
I have been brain storming on how to deal with this for a while I hope some of you maybe able to point me in the right direction! So I purchased this car (02 C32). And previous owner have stripped at least 3 out of 5 threads on each hub! I looked into replacing all 4 hubs but parts alone are over $700 not inc labor! I thought about helic coils! But my dad suggested after looking at the bolts threads which are M12 to rethread the hubs to M14! Which seems reasonable and cost effective since he’s a machinist.
would this work with the stock wheels? Where will I be able to find the lug bolts? Is there a work around this? Have anyone dealt with this before? Thanks any help much appreciated!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
You should be able to find the hubs second hand, should cost well under $400 for the lot.

They are all the same hub, from poverty pack through to AMG, should be thousands out there parting out
Old 04-07-2020, 04:41 PM

Mercedes C32
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
You should be able to find the hubs second hand, should cost well under $400 for the lot.

They are all the same hub, from poverty pack through to AMG, should be thousands out there parting out
We did attempt it!! Reg C230? or C320's I bought it for rear hub and it had smaller axels holes compared to C32's! I bought an Actual C32's hub assembly from ebay since i needed it because of the rear driver side had taken a hit cracked the wheel and spindle was damaged, Anyhow the replacement spindle also had 3 stripped holes FML
Old 04-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Mercedes C32
Honestly I am thinking of re-doing all the threads on each side and use different lug bolts! my guess is I might run into clearance issue on the wheels for the bigger M14 threaded lugs. Less work also!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Ok, never come across the axle issue, I know they do a stud conversion kit, I know this will not help as a bolt in solution but done properly with helicoils and thread locker could be a solution?.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ion-kit-2.html

Other option could be to buy studs from another manufacturer that are similar and have the hubs modified to accept the press in studs from the rear if there is clearance behind for the head of the stud?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
You can buy knurled studs drill out the holes and press the studs in.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Mercedes C32
Hey Guys!!
Update on the hubs and a very funny story!! So I ordered new bigger lug bolts ( All the tools bolts sizes will be mentioned at the end). My dad being off of work at home due to corona crap wanted to help me since he had time, so Day 1 we removed the tires (dad said cover the bearing hole which i ignored) used a half inch ACE hardware drill bit and sent it!! hour later less than half way into the first lug hole I gave up! next day borrowed cobalt drill bit and started drilling and they went pretty quick 3 hours 1 wheel 5 lug holes done!! started tapping 14x1.5 tap hard as a rock actually broke 2 5" tap handles to tap 5 holes! then moved to second wheel struggled identically! so far 9 hours in and on 3rd day! next day i remove the 3rd tire my dad said he wanted to do it! Guy covers the bearing with tape and plastic have me hold a water squirting bottle to spray on the hole he drills 5 holes and taps 5 of them in less than an hour! does the last one identically the same way!! then explains me that these hubs are hardened steel and just pressing bit caused the temp to go even higher and made the metal even harder and he didnt want me putting water and wet chips into the bearing! Anyhow learned it the hard way again LOL!!
Anyhow these are the tools you'll need to get this done!
14" drill bit ( to make the wheel lug holes bigger
14x1.5 Tap ( use motor oil for tapping )
1/2 Drill Bit Cobalt or Carbide (you wanna drill it with the rotors on into the lug bolts hole & Tap it with rotors on also!!)
Water squirt bottle ( if the drill bit is spinning you're putting the water steady stream)
STEEL TAP WRENCH!!!
14x1.5x40 (LUG BOLTS)
Hopefully this helps out other people since hubs replacement is outrageous parts alone 1.5k new hubs and bearings probably other 1.5k labor since its intense! and Please do not use Chinese hubs they're soft aluminum at best and will not hold up! they used hardened steel for hubs for a reason!
THIS SHOULD ALSO APPLY FOR ANY OTHER W203!! if your lug bolts are 12x1.5