C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

MBCA/GWS DE - Summit Point (Aug. 7-8)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Corvette Coupe
Question MBCA/GWS DE - Summit Point (Aug. 7-8)

Anyone going to the MBCA/GWS DE at Summit Point this weekend?

If so did you get any confirmation from MBCA/GWS? I signed up to go and I guess I'll just show up, but I never got any confirmation.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:31 AM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
I'm going but I'll be driving my WRX instead of my C32 (it needs a break after the StarFest event at Mid-Ohio this week). I know dsC32 from this board was coming to Summit Point directly from Mid-Ohio so there will be a least two C32's.

I haven't received a confirmation either and I'm not sure what time we're expected at the track tomorrow. I'll be getting in to the Shoney's around 9:30pm tonight and I'll try to see if I can get the word on the start time in the morning then. I look forward to meeting you.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:15 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
I'll be driving into Summit Point early Sat. morning. Most events I've attended at Summit have tech inspection running 7:00am - 8:00am with a 8:30am all driver's meeting, with the first run group off and running at 9:00am.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:01 PM

what are you guys running for times with your c32?

I would just like to know what kind of times and what modifications if you don't mind so I can compare and see the effect of my modifications.

I have never tried summit point stock but by the end of the second day I was running 1:32's pretty consistently. I also got one good one just under 1:30. I can't wait to go back there as I know there are a lot of places where I can pick up time (my first time there). I think I should be able to do a 1:25 in my car after some practice and a good driver can surely do better.

My mods are Carlsson CO, PorterField R4E brake pads, ATE Super Blue, HRE 18" wheels with Toyo T1-S.

Anyone care to share just to compare.

Prasith
Old 08-06-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone want to rent my car and take it to the track? It's only $500.00 per day... I wish I could go. Maybe I can air freight my car? Go Carl go!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:26 PM

smg,

I will actually be in the LA area during September. I would be very interested in trying your car out . Don't worry I will be very nice to her . PM me or email me.

Prasith
Old 08-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Great. Drive it all you want. Will send a pm.

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2004, 01:32 PM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
Originally Posted by Prasith32
what are you guys running for times with your c32?

I would just like to know what kind of times and what modifications if you don't mind so I can compare and see the effect of my modifications.

I have never tried summit point stock but by the end of the second day I was running 1:32's pretty consistently. I also got one good one just under 1:30. I can't wait to go back there as I know there are a lot of places where I can pick up time (my first time there). I think I should be able to do a 1:25 in my car after some practice and a good driver can surely do better.

My mods are Carlsson CO, PorterField R4E brake pads, ATE Super Blue, HRE 18" wheels with Toyo T1-S.

Anyone care to share just to compare.

Prasith
I have only been on Summit Point main with my C32 once and I didn't time any laps. It was a while ago and the first time I ever tracked my own car. At the time I was on RENNtech springs but running street tires. Maybe I can clock some other C32 drivers this weekend if they are OK with it and have a clear track in front of them. However, unless they grid up in the front of the pack it may be tough to get a fair representation of their best effort.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:20 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
1:32 is a very good time. I never time myself, but I was out at Summit about 4 months ago doing a PCA event and I remember timing the PCA advance group and they were running about 1:30 per lap.

1:25 would bring you into the range of what an instructor of mine who now does BMWCCA club racing could do with a normal street car.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
lap

2002 c32
It looks like I may be down sometime in September as well..

Originally Posted by Prasith32
smg,

I will actually be in the LA area during September. I would be very interested in trying your car out . Don't worry I will be very nice to her . PM me or email me.

Prasith
depending on my work schedule .... I'm actually 'seriously' thinking of driving there-back, yup I'm a little But it could be such a great and It would then be easier to lug around the stuff I have to pick up from Performance Products.

I recall there was a few good go-cart tracks around when I was there 6 years ago, are they still operational, maybe an international c32-drivers-go-to-the-carts meet??

Otherwise I should be able to get an extra $500 for ya Steve LOL!

lap
Old 08-06-2004, 05:41 PM

cschow,

I am not a good driver (only about 10 track days) but I definitely think 1:32 is not too hard a number for this car. The main straight is quite long and there are lots of areas where the high HP and TQ of the C32 really helps. If only I can figure out a way to get through the chute and carousel faster there is a lot of time to be had there.

There was a stock Porsche Carrera that pulled 1:27 or so. That was driven by somebody training to be an instructor. A friend of mine that is an instructor was doing 1:20 - 1:22 in his e36 m3 (pretty modified suspension but engine still mostly optimistic).

I think 1:25 may be a bit optimistic for my skills but definitely doable by the right driver. This car is quite fast I just didn't realize it until I got to a bigger track where she can stretch her legs out a little.

Originally Posted by cschow
1:32 is a very good time. I never time myself, but I was out at Summit about 4 months ago doing a PCA event and I remember timing the PCA advance group and they were running about 1:30 per lap.

1:25 would bring you into the range of what an instructor of mine who now does BMWCCA club racing could do with a normal street car.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:52 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
I had a blast at day 1 of the DE today. I'm really tired so I probably won't be at day 2. My friend's M3 had mechanical issues, so we both drove my car. By the end of the day much brake pad was consumed and the car did 170 miles on the track.

Here are some pictures. The first two are of me, and third is of my friend.

One interesting car that was there was an insanely fast white porsche. I was already half way down the main straight at 110 mph (maintaining, not continuing to accelerate) and the porsche popped through turn 10. I knew he was much faster but thought there wasn't space for him to pass, but the next thing I knew he was along side me at a significantly faster speed. My point-by was essentially a formality, he was so fast I'm not even sure if he had the brakes to slow down to 110 mph to remain behind me by then, lol.

As for timing, while my friend was running I time a few laps of his at 1:34. This is his first time driving a C32 at the track. I also made a few in-car videos, which I have yet to review, from that I'll be able to get my own times.

This is someone else's C32. I think he was the only other C32 at the event.

Last edited by cschow; 08-07-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:11 PM

ex-C32
Chris, that time sounds about right on street tires. The third picture is of dsC32 from KS. He stopped at Mid-Ohio on Tuesday on his way through. CarlAMG and I were there in April '03. They had plowed the snow off the track the week prior and there was some still water on the track when the temps got up to 50F. I was in the low 1:35ish with three rivers of ice cold water crossing the track and zapping the heat from the Pilot Cups.

I like the SSR's what tires are you running? Stock suspension?

Norm
Bordeau/Merlot
Old 08-07-2004, 11:18 PM

Nice Pics

That pic of you at the esses is really nicely taken but it looks like you might be turning in a little early on that turn :p :p

Is your car stock? 1:34 is a very good time for a stock car. i am sure your friend could do much better with the carlssons and some practice. I am sure the carlsson's would be worth at least 4-6 seconds or more because so much time depends on the carousel and I our car stock does not like that configuration.

What wheels are that on your car? What kind of tires are you running?

I like that track a lot and it is a lot of fun. Watch out for the porsche's though. When I was out there there was a white porsche that was killing everybody. i wonder if it is the same one. Older 993 body?

Prasith
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Ah, 11 hours of sleep later and I feel much better.

My car is riding of KW V2 coil overs, although they are far from being ideally calibrated right now. (A few months ago, when I was commuting with the C32 through 1 block in DC which was literally filled with pot holes, I asked my then-mechanic to raise the car and reduce the rebound on the KWs to make it more comfortable for commuting through that one block. Now that they've have finally paved that block, I need to get the suspension returned to a more performance oriented set up.)

My tires are S03's, I'm on 18-inch wheels and running 225's in the front with 255's in the back.

My car currently has Evosport's Stage-I software.

The rest of Stage-I, the SL55 Y-pipe, and the Evosport spark plug/wire package is on order but shipping is on hold pending Evosport getting the water pump pulley back in stock. I had really wanted to be able to run at Summit with my entire performance upgrade. Aside from running with a bunch of MBs at MBCA, I thought Summit would be a nice place to see how the car reacts to the power upgrade. I guess I'll have to deal with that at the Ferrari Club event next month.

The MBCA event was really nice. The temperatures at Summit were significantly below normal (70's to mid 80's) and there were few cars per run group.

My friend's impression of the C32 was that its a significantly harder car to handle at the track than his M3. He didn't like the transmission kicking down on him on corner exit. As I noted in another thread isn't speedshift suppose to hold a gear when cornering at 0.5 lateral G's? He didn't like the amount of foot pressure required to get the brakes to full braking. He was extremely impressed with how the car keeps pulling and pulling and pulling on the main straight.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:45 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
As some may recall, I purchased two OBD-2 scanners/loggers a few weeks ago. I had the tiny one which only records data once every 5 seconds in the car with me set up to record speed, engine rpm, IAT, manifold pressure, and ignition timing. If anyone's interested, this it what was recorded on one of the runs. (Keep in mind that a lot of things happen in 5 seconds, so with one sample per 5 seconds I'm sure a lot of data is missing. I.e., peaks and valleys in the graphs may be significantly different than depicted)

Old 08-08-2004, 11:27 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
In contrast to the above data plots, this is what a laid back trip going to Summit from my house looks like. Notice the vastly lower IATs

Old 08-08-2004, 05:23 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Here's a video I made from the event:

http://www.nycrhythm.com/chow/MBCA-G...t-Point_HQ.wmv
Old 08-08-2004, 05:49 PM

ex-C32
Chris, have you done evosport's I/C pump coolant update?

Nice timing bump in their software under light load.

Thanks for the video!

Norm
Bordeau/Merlot
Old 08-08-2004, 05:55 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Originally Posted by Norm C32
Chris, have you done evosport's I/C pump coolant update?

The only power related mods on the car right now is the Stage-1 software. All the hardware I ordered will be shipped together, so the re-direct of the I/C coolant circuit to the washer bottle isn't yet installed in the car. It would be interesting to see how the IATs are affected with the stage-1 hardware installed as well, if the Summit Point DE for Ferrari Club next month is under a similarly cool climate, a data comparison might be possible.

Does Evosport have more I/C system upgrades beyond whats normally in stage 1? I seem to remember Vadim alluding recently to a pump upgrade, months ago to a core upgrade, and Evosport told me they were working on an I/C radiator upgrade, but when I placed my order for stage-1 I was told that anything having to do with the I/C system is only currently being developed for the E55, and it may be months before anything migrates (if at all) to the C32.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:22 PM

ex-C32
They are using a Laminova core under the SC in Vadim's C32.

Nice camera work. How is mounted? Looks like it is mounted to the rear view mirror. The video is nice and smooth. Poor ground hog/woodchuck.

Norm
Old 08-08-2004, 08:37 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
I'm using the autoxcam II, with the suction cup mount, and using the cigarette lighter power adapter to power both the camera and the microphone. The mount is attached to the windshield, the camcorder is in VCR mode and in the glove box. You can see the apparatus on my windshield in the track pictures on the previous page if you look carefully.

The autoxcam:
http://www.autoxcam.com/product_cameraII.htm

The suction cup mount:

The suction cup mount is very nice. You suction out the air using the white pump, and there is a visual indicator which reminds you to suction more air out as you need to, which is not often as it has a pretty good grip.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:08 AM

Great video! Very easy track for brakes. No gold caliper disease from there. Looks like a very fluid track for consistant fun around the entire circuit.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 AM

Hey Lap, come on down. We can all go karting within one hours drive of LA at Jim Hall's track in Oxnard. Great organization, fun track, and they offer midweek schedules. I'm in. Prasith, how about you? Eric, Jon ? Always looking for a way to not go into the office... They run four hour blocks, so it's either 8am or 1pm call time, and only a few hundred bucks. Let me know when and who is interested. I can make all the arrangements.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 AM
lap

2002 c32
Thanks for the invite!

Originally Posted by smgC32
Hey Lap, come on down. We can all go karting within one hours drive of LA at Jim Hall's track in Oxnard. Great organization, fun track, and they offer midweek schedules. I'm in. Prasith, how about you? Eric, Jon ? Always looking for a way to not go into the office... They run four hour blocks, so it's either 8am or 1pm call time, and only a few hundred bucks. Let me know when and who is interested. I can make all the arrangements.
Steve, It looks like I will be heading down sometime after Sept 7th (+ at least a couple of days worth of driving!!!). It all depends on when my Air Mass Sensor for my 911 will be ready for pick up.

I will keep in touch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBCA/GWS DE - Summit Point (Aug. 7-8)