W203 Carlsson quad exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Exclamation W203 Carlsson quad exhaust set up

I had the diagram faxed to me today of how the Carlsson exhaust is installed. As you can see from the picture below, the installation is "similar" to the Lorinser exhaust (Lorinser's transverse pipe is installed directly into the muffler whereas Carlsson's version is installed into one of the actual exhaust pipes.

Wiedermann
Attached Thumbnails W203 Carlsson quad exhaust set up-carlssonquadexsetup002.gif  
Old 08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb W203 Carlsson quad exhaust final product

How the system looks after the install (on C32's, bumper has to be custom cut)

Wiedermann
Attached Thumbnails W203 Carlsson quad exhaust set up-c7_rearangle_email001.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation W203 Class exhaust configurations

C32 6 cylinder engine configuration

C class 6 cylinder engine configuration

C55 8 cylinder engine configuration (C55) (Clossest set up to a true quad exhaust system)

Optional 6 cylinder engine configuration

4 cylinder engine configuration

Wiedermann
Old 08-06-2004, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I assume you have the system ordered?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation W203 Carlsson quad exhaust

Mr. Jon200:
Originally Posted by Jon200
I assume you have the system ordered?
I have not ordered the system. Before C55's arrival, I had (and always wanted) to hae a quad exhaust, prefereably a true quad exhaust (though that is harder to find on existing vehicles out there) or a system with the Y split, like the C55 has

Problem is the lack of space on C32's... the only system that I had not seen was the Carlsson's set up... finally that I got the fax today I put that thought to rest..

In case other members were interested, and having the information available is that I wanted to share the information on the thread.

Costs of the Carlsson system goes along with the prices of the Lorinser kit (a couple of grand retail aprox).. that is for the system itself... it does not count labor for installation, cutting the right side of the bumper (normally a couple of hundred bucks for install and cut of bumper)

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

looks damn good to me
Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking Mr Harris is alive!!..

Originally Posted by Harris
Mario: who faxed you the instructions???? Ummm....there are only a number of Carlsson quad exhaust in the US and most of them are sold by me! Ummm....I wonder who sent that to you!

It is just way too much work to retrofit a C55 exhaust on a C32 (I wouldnt say its "impossible" because money talks). Those are totally two different setups. The best bet is either custom-build one on your own or buy the Carlsson ones.
Mr. Harris!!:

Not that I was saying that you were dead or anything!!!... but I never got a response from you to my last emails... ...lol... (oh yeah..., Imagine my posts on the board are messy, what is like when I email people... lol)

The fax came from Carlsson North America. In the Carlsson website there is a link with phone number of the USA re-seller for their products.. that re-seller is based out of Miami, FL.

Since you had not been able to get back to me, I imagine you have to be busy on your shop, I contacted them and inquired about the Carlsson system.

The Carlsson exhaust set up and the Lorinser one are much alike... the same pipe runs transverse practically behind the rear bumper... C55 aside --as you said and as most people know, C55's have a different configuration for the spare tire, so retrofitting the C55's exhaust system is not possible on a C32 without heavy modifications--, I only exhaust systems that I have seen I liked for a possible quad tip exhaust is the custom set up that I saw on SilvaC32 (aka Jerry). That system was custom built for SilvaC32 at his local muffler shop in Santa Barbara, Ca. I got the chance to visit the same shop (thanks to the info SilvaC32 provided) for a possible install on my C32... however... (yup.. there is the "Wiedermann" "however"...lol)... I have not still decided to chop an authentic AMG exhaust set up, for a custom one.

This is amazing!!... as I am typing the response to Mr Harris's post... I got an email from him!!!... yeah!!!... ( )

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! my exhaust was posted again! :p
Old 08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation C55 exhaust...

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
Mr.BlackC230Coupe:

I said it before.... you have the curse of the C555 exhaust!!!... lol

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
Check this out...someone else's exhaust! C55 Exhaust
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
i got the carlsson quad just sitting in my garage.. begging to be installed.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking More Carlsson Exhaust pics?

Originally Posted by AMG BRED
Mr. AMG BRED:

It is time for some pictures of your set BEFORE install

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 08-06-2004, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Mr. AMG BRED:

Cheers

Wiedermann
of the exhaust system?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up Weidermann. I believe that the picture of the rear valance is not one of a modified stock bumper cover, but a Carlsson replacement unit to accomodate their quad tip exhaust. Given the flow characteristics of the Carlsson, Lorinser, and Jerry's custom unit, I don't believe there are any HP benefits gained, only increased visual appeal, which is OK with me.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Exclamation Exhaust systems

Originally Posted by smgC32
Great write up Weidermann. I believe that the picture of the rear valance is not one of a modified stock bumper cover, but a Carlsson replacement unit to accomodate their quad tip exhaust. Given the flow characteristics of the Carlsson, Lorinser, and Jerry's custom unit, I don't believe there are any HP benefits gained, only increased visual appeal, which is OK with me.
Mr. smgC32:

You are correct on your comment. In part of the reply I received from Carlsson this past week, they informed me that the quad tips did not hae any significat "improvement" in horse power, performance, flow of the exhaust whatsoever... basically the MAIN reason for the upgrade was mostly for visual appearence.

Regarding Jerry's (SilvaC32) custom exhaust system, though I don't have any data or information from him as to whether or not he has experience an increase in performance... just with the description that I gave of his system (again, there is no data, nor measurements, anything, just word of moouth "explaining" on my part) the comment that I received was that on Jerry's car, there should be an initial improovement on start up acceleration (which was proven to me mathematically speaking), however, at road speed, he should encounter an slight decrease in acceleration performance due to the smaller diameter in the custom exhaust (piping) system.

Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Mr. AMG BRED:

Cheers

Wiedermann
of the exhaust system?
Mr. AMG BRED:

Oh Yeah!...please do post pics of the pipes and all hardware (Mr. Harris will turn blue, black and other colors... but he'll survive!! )

Wiedermann
Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
If Harris gets mad at me, i am sending him to you. :v

here are the pics..

Sorry, i didn't remove them from the packing but basically everything is shown in the pics. The only hardware i didn't pic of was hte bolts and nuts. getting the exhaust installed tomorrow.. hopefully everything goes smoothly, looking thru the instructions, everything is in german, i doubt the shop will be able to read 'em..
Old 08-09-2004, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking W203 Carlsson exhaust set up

If Harris gets mad at me, i am sending him to you. :v

Sorry, i didn't remove them from the packing but basically everything is shown in the pics. The only hardware i didn't pic of was hte bolts and nuts. getting the exhaust installed tomorrow.. hopefully everything goes smoothly, looking thru the instructions, everything is in german, i doubt the shop will be able to read 'em..
Mr. AMG BRED:

Thanks for the pics. That gives everyone plenty to look at (hopefully that will put any questions regarding the Carlsson set up to rest )

I already have Mr. Harris turned in blue color on the Carlsson diagrams I posted..lol... just send him by 08-21-2004 @ 16:30 hrs PST @ the meet we have ... at least he gets to meet everyone there too!...lol.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes c320 3.2L
Okay guys today I was at the wrecking yard and came across a s55 amg with its full quad exhaust still intact. They want FORTY bucks for the full system! I'm picking it up tomorrow to either sale or......put it on my c320? Lol my question is, is it possible to put it on the c320? Obviously I'll need to modify the spare tire well, I don't use it because it didn't have a spare when I bought it...but is it possible to basically "plug and play" ? The have a similar body style except for the front end. Also can I mount the side skirts as well as the rear bumper? Thank you so much for your advice in advance!!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
This thread is 14 years old......
The following users liked this post:
Gorilla Jones (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 11:35 AM

W203 Sport
Originally Posted by Nokiemon
This thread is 14 years old......
Still valid information as there are still fans of these cars and these exhausts are still surprisingly available. I am learning a lot just reading these and may second and third owners would like to make the mod. I just picked up a one owner C230 and I’m definitely going to do this.

also, what is WIS? Thanks