C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

NEW C55 revisions + other benz news!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes comes out with that new engine for MY2006. Just look at the CLK55. 2004 came with twin exhaust pipes and 17 inch tires. 2005 now comes with 18 inch tires and quad exhaust. If I had known that in 2003 when I got mine, I would've definitely waited. I just assumed that my car was the way the body style was going to be until they came out with a whole new model of CLK. But unfortunately it seems Mercedes likes to change their models every few years. It makes me mad. How would you like to know that your C55 will be out powered in just a few short years?? If it was 4 or 5 years then I guess you couldn't complain, that is expected, but to keep changing in the time frame of 2 to 3 years is bad.
Anyone feel this way.

I'm just pissed that my 2003 CLK55 is outdated now thans to the new 2005. Plus the dealer says my car is worth *****.
I'm with you on this one.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by VancouverC32
That article was talking about the future generations of th C-Class. The W204 will be a 408 hp AMG and there will be an even more powerful version available in Europe (C63). The motor will not be supercharged but will be the new replacement for the M113 V8 -- based on the V6 in the SLK. No Bi-Turbo V12 or blown V8 for a C-Class. That is pointless!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:07 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by VancouverC32
I'm glad my sis didn't trade in her 208 for the 209 in 03. Now we can be sure that the 05 209 will stay for at least 4-5 years from now.

BUT honestly I have to say that if you like to have a car before anyone else does, it's good to have the first year car. I did w/ my 00 328Ci before they changed to 330 in 2001, and as well as the 02 C32 before they made some cheap changes in 2003 (other than the bixenon of course).
Old 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by pookie
wow. that is just insane. a 6.3L v8 is cool on paper, but the handling must be crap with all the weight in the front.
I just want to clear this up quickly. Everyone keeps making comments about how a V8 W203 must drive poorly because of the big motor up front.

1. The C55 weighs less than a C32 going by mbusa stats... it is the same using amg's german stats.
2. THe motor it self weighs just 11 lbs more than a C32 motor
3. The V8 has a lower center of gravity and therefore allows for better transition of weight. The 90 lb blower is bolted to the top of the motor and this is equal to having a 13 year old tied to the hood of the car. Not a good thing for asking the front of the car to change direction.
4. A 5.5L motor does not weigh any more than 5.0L motor. Same goes for a 5.5L to a 6.3L motor (holding all other items equal -- ceteris paribus). When the new direct injection motor comes to maket in V8 form, the 6.3L version will not be heavier than the 5.0 or 5.5L version because the extra displacement comes from lengthening the stroke and increasing the bore and not from a larger or heavier block. The Kompressor motors have a reenforced block beause of the added stress of forced induction but a NA motor does not require such strengthening.

Hope this clears this up. The C55 handles better than a C32 (stock to stock) so the motor is not a hinderence to the chassis in any way. It actually makes it drive better IMHO.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes comes out with that new engine for MY2006. Just look at the CLK55. 2004 came with twin exhaust pipes and 17 inch tires. 2005 now comes with 18 inch tires and quad exhaust. If I had known that in 2003 when I got mine, I would've definitely waited. I just assumed that my car was the way the body style was going to be until they came out with a whole new model of CLK. But unfortunately it seems Mercedes likes to change their models every few years. It makes me mad. How would you like to know that your C55 will be out powered in just a few short years?? If it was 4 or 5 years then I guess you couldn't complain, that is expected, but to keep changing in the time frame of 2 to 3 years is bad.
Anyone feel this way.

I'm just pissed that my 2003 CLK55 is outdated now thans to the new 2005. Plus the dealer says my car is worth *****.
I feel the same way. I tried to find out how much my car is worth if I traded it in they told me about 30K... when I almost paid 60k a year ago. At this rate I don't think I want to buy another expensive car since it depreciate so much in the first couple of years. I hate when they take the trade in, and then sell the car for twice as much.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
But unfortunately it seems Mercedes likes to change their models every few years. It makes me mad. How would you like to know that your C55 will be out powered in just a few short years?? If it was 4 or 5 years then I guess you couldn't complain, that is expected, but to keep changing in the time frame of 2 to 3 years is bad.
Anyone feel this way.

Stiggs

I am definitely the ONE feel the same. We pay 80% more than USA here in H.K. to go for any cars, this means big big loans which go on for 3-5 years. Used cars are so worthless in my country, nevertheless, MB is still on top of the used cars market. I got my 2001 E320 full options at lowest price ~USD 65K, and sold at ~37K after three years. A new E320 full options now will cost USD 95K here.

I am waiting for my first ( first and the cheapest AMG ) C55 ( ~USD 107K ) in a week or two. A huge loan that I knew I have to stick with the little monster for at least another 3 years.

There is surely 'not much' I can do if the new C AMG in a year or two are more powerful and even with dynamic suspension like the SL's. The C55 I am getting soon is not even with a new 7-speed like they sell it on the new SLK350+ models Well, what it can make me feel better is there is unlikely to be another facelift of C but a new generation instead.

What I am really trying to point out here is , no matter how long we can wait and how much we can tell in advance about changes in car market and technology, not everyone ( financially ) can make the best decision at the best time. Nevertheless, look back to my good old last generation E, I truly appreciate that had given me three years of joy , comfort and I am proud of once being the owner!

Have a nice day.

cnt
Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Stiggs

I am definitely the ONE feel the same. We pay 80% more than USA here in H.K. to go for any cars, this means big big loans which go on for 3-5 years. Used cars are so worthless in my country, nevertheless, MB is still on top of the used cars market. I got my 2001 E320 full options at lowest price ~USD 65K, and sold at ~37K after three years. A new E320 full options now will cost USD 95K here.

I am waiting for my first ( first and the cheapest AMG ) C55 ( ~USD 107K ) in a week or two. A huge loan that I knew I have to stick with the little monster for at least another 3 years.

There is surely 'not much' I can do if the new C AMG in a year or two are more powerful and even with dynamic suspension like the SL's. The C55 I am getting soon is not even with a new 7-speed like they sell it on the new SLK350+ models Well, what it can make me feel better is there is unlikely to be another facelift of C but a new generation instead.

What I am really trying to point out here is , no matter how long we can wait and how much we can tell in advance about changes in car market and technology, not everyone ( financially ) can make the best decision at the best time. Nevertheless, look back to my good old last generation E, I truly appreciate that had given me three years of joy , comfort and I am proud of once being the owner!

Have a nice day.

cnt

Good point. I guess I should be looking at it like the computer market. No matter what you get, it will be outdated in 3 to 4 years anyways. As long as you enjoy it ...right?
Now I think I will go burn some rubber to release the anger of the new CLK coming out.