Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
IS1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Why I should have bought HRE!!!!

My sad story,
I ordered wheels from the other company and specified they be in by a certain date or ignore the order. Well that day came and went which forced me to buy a used set of wheels and tires for $1k (the used C32 came with no wheels as the previous owner wanted to keep them). Finally they come in and with a bonus, 5 sets of locking lug nuts all using different keys! So I order a new set ($50). Go to have the tires put on and they call me says there are numerous scratches and the clear coat has a small chip. I figure no biggie I'll just polish out the scratches on the lip and keep an eye on the clearcoat. Well I have my H&R coilovers installed ($1395+$500) at the same time and guess what happens when I leave...yep the rears rub on custom made wheels. I have the shop raise the height all the way up and guess what...still rubs. I call the other company and they said H&R's are too soft and go back to stock ($500). You guessed it still rubs in the back so I go to the Mercedes dealer and they say it is the wrong offset. It gets worse now the clear coat is peeling like wallpaper on every wheel. I contact the other company and you guessed it peeling from the center is not warrantied. Now you say how can things get any worse? There is a vibration coming from the right front wheel so I exchange the Falken front tire 3 times after being told it was not "round" ($45 each time). Finally a rim shop alerts me that it was not the tire but the actual rim not being round. Of course the other company does not answer the phone and when emails are answered I'm blown off or told that I and everyone else is wrong and the wheels (according to their records were made correct). I could always pay to have them taken off the tires, my used ones put on, box them up and ship them back (of course paying freight each way, being without them for who knows how long, and paying out of pocket for the repairs), but now I find myself outside with a tongue depressor scraping the remaining clear coat off and having the one rim corrected if even possible, oh and alterations to my rear fenders. So not including countless hours of time and thousands of extra dollars I believe I should have just bought the HRE's from the beginning!
Out
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
thats what you get for buying a car without wheels!!!!

j/k, that did seem like a hassle, though, just work it all out and enjoy your ride
Old 08-11-2004, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
That "Really" bites
Old 08-11-2004, 03:24 PM

C32
That sucks! What is the "other company"?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I'm sure he has Iforge rims. All his complaints I have heard before from Iforge owners.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
That totally sucks! GL
Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
So is it IForged?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:31 AM

C230K
Thumbs up

You are right. HRE are the best. They are always on time, always perfect, and expensive.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...&highlight=hre

Originally Posted by IS1
I should have just bought the HRE's from the beginning!
Out
Old 08-13-2004, 03:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Fxyz
You are right. HRE are the best. They are always on time, always perfect, and expensive.

so far I've only really really like one set of HREs while the other style are only ok looking. IMO the HRE somehow looks plain and dull to me even tho they are made of great quality and very light.

these are the one that caught me eyes
Attached Thumbnails Why I should have bought HRE!!!!-front-pic.jpeg  
Old 08-13-2004, 11:16 AM

HRE's are the Best !!!

They are not always on time. Mine was almost 1 month late.

But they are always perfectly built

and they sure as heck are expensive.

But its all worth it somehow

OH BTW saying that HRE's are plain and dull
Old 08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I second that!!!!! Peeling, poor customer service, you name it. Bought four sets and had no end of problems. Would never buy HRE's ever again.
After seeing that quote makes me feel HRE are not better then Iforged.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
and the wait time is terrible
Old 08-13-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I second that!!!!! Peeling, poor customer service, you name it. Bought four sets and had no end of problems. Would never buy HRE's ever again. "

Was this quote in this thread? I could not find it. HRE, Kenisys, Fiske, BBS, and other reputable three piece wheel manufacturers produce wheels according to demand. When they are busy, especially during race season, you may have to wait over 12 weeks to get a set. It is actually very easy to assemble a wheel and produce it for a particular order. It is the backlog that eats up the time, and a repeat race costumer has priority over any end user and may push your order back even more.

If you spend the time taking the proper measurements required to make the wheel fit in your application prior to placing the order, they will fit perfect ever time. The problems arise when resellers order a "generic" fit for a particular application based on previous orders that are deemed "acceptable" for fitment. Backspace, offset, and spoke clearance are critical measurements and must be made prior to ordering and recorded on the manufacturer's wheel fitment order sheet prior to ordering. If not, no manufacturer will guarantee their wheels for fitment. HRE's finish is very good and should not peel more than another's if properly cared for. HRE has more fitments for any application than any other manufacturer due to their ability to custom piece together, drill, and shave their stock to fit the customer's needs. HRE's tolerances are much closer than any other manufacturer in terms of pad thickness capabilities.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by smgC32
"I second that!!!!! Peeling, poor customer service, you name it. Bought four sets and had no end of problems. Would never buy HRE's ever again. "

Was this quote in this thread? I could not find it.

No, that was on 6speedonlone it was the 5th reply from the bottom by member Y65MPH in that thread link posted.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will always find someone who does not like a particular product for some reason. Overall HRE has an impecable reputation. My friends with Porsches either have HRE's or Fikse's. And you can drive down to their offices in So Cal and get fitted if you wish. They are too much money for what they are, but then again so are Rolex's.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 AM

C230K
Talking

Agreed. Look at this piece of crap iForged on this crancker and a set of funny iForged wheel.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d&pagenumber=2

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...hlight=iforged

Originally Posted by smgC32
You will always find someone who does not like a particular product for some reason. Overall HRE has an impecable reputation. My friends with Porsches either have HRE's or Fikse's. And you can drive down to their offices in So Cal and get fitted if you wish. They are too much money for what they are, but then again so are Rolex's.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Agreed. Look at this piece of crap iForged on this crancker and a set of funny iForged wheel.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d&pagenumber=2

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...hlight=iforged

DAMN! those copy 547R looks sick tho! I'd get Iforged. Although i still LOVE HRE.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:09 PM

'12 CLS550, '08 M6, '04 E500
It seems like there are other people who are having "clear coat peeling" problem and poor customer service with their HRE wheels. After hearing those bad stories about HRE and Iforged, I am starting to thinking maybe this is a common problem among custom forged wheels? Should I stay away from custom foregd wheel? Take a look at this thread:

http://www.viperalley.com/showflat.p...l/fpart/1/vc/1

Here is a quote from one of the posts on the viper forum:

"This is all too familiar. I have a set of fully polished HRE 547R's. It took forever to get them, as I think most have experienced when purchasing from HRE (suppliers). No biggie, you want them perfect so you wait. After I finally got mine they looked great EXCEPT for a place on the back left outer rim where the damn clear is peeling. I have been in "negotiations" for over a week now. WTF? The rim is screwed up, for this much damn money they should simply say, we will pick it up, have it over nighted to us, fix it ASAP ( I want it turned in a week), and ship it back to you overnight. I run a business and this is how I correct any problems I have with customers. HELLO, the customer is always right.....I think HRE has forgotten or never learned this. I mean these are not cheap wheels by any stretch. Rest assured this will be my last set I ever buy or recommend anyone buy. There are way to many other choices out there to have to put up with this kind of customer service. IMHO. "
Old 11-13-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C320 (For Sale), 08 Audi TT
I'm still waiting for my HREs and I ordered them the third week of Sept.!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Hmm... My HRE's are still perfect after 12,000 miles of use in good weather and poor weather.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
they are all the same, HRE, Iforged... same construction same finisher and bascially all the same designs. you can pay more for the brand name, it does make some people feel more superior.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
In this thread I know I once said I would get Iforged wheels. But after hearing some complaints from people that they have bad vibration because the wheels are not hubcentric I changed completely. I believe they also use centering rings and HRE does not. With that said, I cant wait for my HREs to arrive already.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
wth... i do not have centering rings... how can the wheel not be hubcentric? where are you gettin this from?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by SiLvaC32
wth... i do not have centering rings... how can the wheel not be hubcentric? where are you gettin this from?

Someone i know and many wheel shops told me NOT ALL Iforged wheels are hubcentric. I have seen it on a 350Z before at the shop as well. And about the centering rings, i am only quoting what Vince Wong at Iforged told me. He said any Iforged wheels i pick for my C55 will have centering rings.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:34 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 AMG
HRE and iForged use the same finisher!