C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

E320 to C55 Attitude Change?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
E320 to C55 Attitude Change?

I received a letter from the dealer that the C55 is now shipped and ready
for pick up coming week. I am selling my 01' E320AV (facelift full options) to a friend at almost the same time.

It was a kind of mix feelings about having to pay 2.5 times more to get rid of a perfect conditiond more luxury E320Av ( only run for 35,000 km in 3 years) and go for a smaller size lower class model of MB for the sake of "just more fun and a AMG logo ".

Anyone has similar 'experience' like this and appreciate can share your views?

cnt
Old 08-15-2004, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
I think that the only department that you are going to be downgrading is in size. The C class is smaller. The quality, updated look, features will impress you. It probably has more features than your 320 as more options become more standard in time. The quality of the leather will be superior to your 320. The reason the car costs so much is mostly performance. It usually comes with all the options you can get on a C class and then some, but with MB version of sports car guts.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:17 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the AMGs are definitely more luxurious than the regular Benzo.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by VancouverC32
I think that the only department that you are going to be downgrading is in size. The C class is smaller. The quality, updated look, features will impress you. It probably has more features than your 320 as more options become more standard in time. The quality of the leather will be superior to your 320. The reason the car costs so much is mostly performance. It usually comes with all the options you can get on a C class and then some, but with MB version of sports car guts.
Thanks. As I mentioned, the E320 I have is an Advangarde model made in 2001 facelift with full options, and the only option of the 2001 E class it does not carry is the air conditioned seat. Major options which will not be on the C55 I ordered are:- original installed handfree mobile phone.

The nappa leather on the AMG may be 'better' in terms of the leather and perhaps a more sporty styled seat. I kind of suspect that the over quality of the interior finishing and the overall built of any models of the C class will not be better than the E class.

'Better' Options which the C55 carries are MB's Model 50 Audio system which can be better than the E320. It is also lucky that the C55 comes with the back curtain option which I really like to use it as it is on the E320.

Anyhow, what I feel , in terms of overall built, the C should still carry newer technology than the 2001 E's as it was first launhced in year 2000 , right?

I must say I am extremely satisfied with the built quality of 2001 E320. 35,000 km in three years, I don't hear a sound of any disruptive and annoying noise from any parts of the interior when I am inside the car, despite the fact that Advangarde has harder suspension than the Elegant.

cnt
Old 08-15-2004, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by FrankW
the AMGs are definitely more luxurious than the regular Benzo.

Thanks. Read my other reply. My E320AV is not a regular Benzo !
Old 08-15-2004, 07:12 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Thanks. Read my other reply. My E320AV is not a regular Benzo !
sorry, but to me the Avantgarde is just a sport version of the E. In fact that's what it is. The build quality other than the 210 E feels like a solid cage, the material used in the w203 or w211 is vasely improved to make the car feel more comfortable while still being very good instead of feeling like inside a tank.

the nappa leather is another plus to improve the overall feel, but keep in mind the nappa leather is softer and tends to worn faster than MB leather. however it won't be a problem if you are not keeping the car for like 8-10 years. If you do, then you gotta really take care it the leather.

You can get all the options for the w210 had for the C55 btw. other than the lumbar adjustable seats. Or do they have it now

also, just to let you know the w211 as of now has more problem than the w203. either way, expect the quality of MB to slide down to the bottom of the pit unless they do something about NOT COST CUTTING.

last words, DON'T worry about it, the C55 will be a great car.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
sorry, but to me the Avantgarde is just a sport version of the E. In fact that's what it is. The build quality other than the 210 E feels like a solid cage, the material used in the w203 or w211 is vasely improved to make the car feel more comfortable while still being very good instead of feeling like inside a tank.

the nappa leather is another plus to improve the overall feel, but keep in mind the nappa leather is softer and tends to worn faster than MB leather. however it won't be a problem if you are not keeping the car for like 8-10 years. If you do, then you gotta really take care it the leather.

You can get all the options for the w210 had for the C55 btw. other than the lumbar adjustable seats. Or do they have it now

also, just to let you know the w211 as of now has more problem than the w203. either way, expect the quality of MB to slide down to the bottom of the pit unless they do something about NOT COST CUTTING.

last words, DON'T worry about it, the C55 will be a great car.

FrankW

All your points are truly my concerns.

My friend 's M3 is with nappa seat, too smooth to touch, look like easy to scratch. My E320 seats are very classy , still look like new especially I don't have family members on back seats.

I also heard stories about the new E is not as reliable as my 01'E. ( guess all E's are made in Germany ). And then, I recall the current C model built based on lot of technology used on the S, so it should be quite up to standard.

Most important is what I will feel when I get on the C.

My E320 is parked and I will not drive it again as I am selling it tommorrow.
A big kiss goodbye.

cnt
Old 08-15-2004, 04:23 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
you will feel nothing except the torque pushing you into the seat when you floor that thing and a giant smirk will appear on your face and then you could give less about all the other crap.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:44 PM

ARRR
Your 210 is outdated. When I see a 211 I say "nice car". When I see a C55 AMG, I'm speechless... in awe... bow down...

You won't regret it.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
you will feel nothing except the torque pushing you into the seat when you floor that thing and a giant smirk will appear on your face and then you could give less about all the other crap.
YES YES YES :p :p
I certainly will be more busy to catch up my overtakings on all the winding roads I used to be.
THE ROADS WILL BE MINE.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Yang1815
Your 210 is outdated. When I see a 211 I say "nice car". When I see a C55 AMG, I'm speechless... in awe... bow down...

You won't regret it.

Thanks. I am pleased to hear this , I know it's too late now. This new toy costs me almost half the cost of my house I have no room to regret. Mine is going to be a brilliant sliver - a family car looking color - the C owners on the roads here will be surpirsed to hear the "V8 howling"; while they are about to look over their windows to check the numerics on back side of my car, it will be too late because we will be miles away!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:54 PM

2004 C32 AMG
You pay for performance, and the mix of luxury and performance in an AMG vehicle is like no other. Welcome to the AMG club
Old 08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by hantzis
You pay for performance, and the mix of luxury and performance in an AMG vehicle is like no other. Welcome to the AMG club

Thanks. That sounds more or less as why I did not want an M3. If everything goes smoothly, I will have mine photographed this weekend and it will take me to work next Monday :p
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by cntlaw
It was a kind of mix feelings about having to pay 2.5 times more to get rid of a perfect conditiond more luxury E320Av ( only run for 35,000 km in 3 years) and go for a smaller size lower class model of MB for the sake of "just more fun and a AMG logo ".
cnt
I share the same mixed feelings. I don't own either , but am trying to decide b/t C55 loaded and an E320 with Appearance/Sport and Premium Pkg. MSRP on both is roughly the same. Overall, I fear that if I go for the AMG, it will have just been for the "look" and status, and that the same price would have got me more car in terms of everyday driving and value with the W211.
Some things about the C55 that make me weary that others may want to consider:
Yes its truly a sexier car with loads of performance. But how often will you truly use all of that power? If you live in a conjested area as I do, there is little or no opportunity to exceed the speed limit and really open it up. Could lead to engine problems down the road. How bad are the winters where you live? I don't even want to think about driving the C55 on ice or snow. Are you prepared to buy new tires every 2 or 3 years? The Z-rated performance tires are going to wear quicker and provide less comfort for everyday driving.
For me, it's a very tough decision. The lure of the AMG exclusivity is very powerful.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 AM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by RiNsE_OuT
I share the same mixed feelings. I don't own either , but am trying to decide b/t C55 loaded and an E320 with Appearance/Sport and Premium Pkg. MSRP on both is roughly the same. Overall, I fear that if I go for the AMG, it will have just been for the "look" and status, and that the same price would have got me more car in terms of everyday driving and value with the W211.
Yes its truly a sexier car with loads of performance. But how often will you truly use all of that power? If you live in a conjested area as I do, there is little or no opportunity to exceed the speed limit and really open it up. Could lead to engine problems down the road. How bad are the winters where you live? I don't even want to think about driving the C55 on ice or snow. Are you prepared to buy new tires every 2 or 3 years? The Z-rated performance tires are going to wear quicker and provide less comfort for everyday driving.
For me, it's a very tough decision. The lure of the AMG exclusivity is very powerful.
From reading your post, I'd suggest you (personally) go with the E320. "How often will you truly use all of that power" and "could lead to engine problems down the road" are clear indications that you are not into performance but more into luxory. Many of the AMG owners are interested in a mix between performance and luxory. IMO AMG vehicles provide the best balance of the two. My recommendation is for you to go with the E320 because I don't think you'll appreciate the performance aspects of AMG.

Good luck,
Dean

Last edited by hantzis; 08-19-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
cntlaw,

I know what you're going through, I was in the same predicament, I was perfectly content w/ my 02' BMW 530i....a sexy cruiser w/ all the amenities one could ask for.....what turned me?? 5-series are a "dime a dozen" here...same goes w/ the E-class (avardgard or not)...and when I would roll up to a AMG (or "M" for that matter) vehicle all I could think of was "man, what a car.....not everyone can have one of those....." .....I give the driver a certain respect/props that I'd like to have when someone would roll up to me...

another point, our "former" vehicles have about the same HP output.....albeit decent, no where close to what you have in store for you in this BEAST...we're talking about freeway on-ramps, passing someone....etc, and I'm experience this surge of power w/o even going pass 4500rpm/85mph (still in break-in period)....trust me you won't regret it when you have that grin light up from cheek to cheek....and the respect and jocking that you'll receive parked at a stoplight.....PRICELESS......!!!!

p.s. I contemplated the M3, but after borrowing my buddy's for a week to help make my decision....there wasn't a second thought....C55 it was...M3=choppy ride(stock suspension even), sub-par sound system, and reliability factor of engine and SMG...and everyone and their mom has one in So. Cali....whereas AMG only makes about 1000 of each of the AMG models per/yr...can someone say EXCLUSiVITY!?!?!!?!??!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Cntlaw

Please let us know your experiences with the new car when you get it.
I too have thought about selling me W210 and going with the C55 but have had reservations because it was smaller.

I test drove the E500 and really didn't like the brakes. The performance was not too much improved and it was not worth it for me to upgrade to that model at this time.

Please let me know if the brakes on the C55 are responsive.

THanks
Old 08-19-2004, 04:30 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
brakes are awesome!!!! cross drilled fronts!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:32 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
my sis has an 04' E500....brakes feel weird and that air suspension is awkward..makes all this noise as it adjusts.....
Old 08-19-2004, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by RiNsE_OuT

RiNsE_OuT
I share your views. I have similar concern about road condition vs comfortness of the two cars. As I am not sure whether most readers on this C AMG thread had experiened of driving a MB on poor road conditions, the E320 satisfies all aspects i.e. a balance of handling and control and comfortness. I live in HK, we have traffic jam though not as serious as Bangkok, however, a bigger space interior makes one feel much better than a small interior under long period of traffic jam.

To be honest , I would not say C55 AMG has signifcantly more "status" than a E320. We feel superior here because this is the "owner's thread" and you know what I mean once you own a full options E class ( 320, 350 , 500 onwards ). Leave the CLS aside, I think most ladies will think you looked more "handsome and successful" on a black W211 than on a C class regardless the car's power.

My close to reality next dream car is E500 (W211), I never drive it before. I read the spec, and the airmatic , SBC ...I am inspired. I did not buy the E500 because it is based priced USD 105K in HK, with my habit of always want full options , that will add USD 30K to the tag. USD 135K is over 1 million HKD and my boss will think I am crazy.

But, then still above financial concerns are not all the main reason. There is only one reason for all of us here to get the C AMG , which is here we all love MB , and if our car can own most aspects of the MB and can do 0-100kmh in 5.2s and feel close to be a Porche performace, there is no other choice.
and as someone just said here:-

"...what a car.....not everyone can have one of those....."

cnt
Old 08-19-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by DbleNckel
cntlaw,

I know what you're going through, I was in the same predicament, I was perfectly content w/ my 02' BMW 530i....a sexy cruiser w/ all the amenities one could ask for.....what turned me?? 5-series are a "dime a dozen" here...same goes w/ the E-class (avardgard or not)...and when I would roll up to a AMG (or "M" for that matter) vehicle all I could think of was "man, what a car.....not everyone can have one of those....." .....I give the driver a certain respect/props that I'd like to have when someone would roll up to me...

another point, our "former" vehicles have about the same HP output.....albeit decent, no where close to what you have in store for you in this BEAST...we're talking about freeway on-ramps, passing someone....etc, and I'm experience this surge of power w/o even going pass 4500rpm/85mph (still in break-in period)....trust me you won't regret it when you have that grin light up from cheek to cheek....and the respect and jocking that you'll receive parked at a stoplight.....PRICELESS......!!!!

p.s. I contemplated the M3, but after borrowing my buddy's for a week to help make my decision....there wasn't a second thought....C55 it was...M3=choppy ride(stock suspension even), sub-par sound system, and reliability factor of engine and SMG...and everyone and their mom has one in So. Cali....whereas AMG only makes about 1000 of each of the AMG models per/yr...can someone say EXCLUSiVITY!?!?!!?!??!
DbleNckel

I must say I really really in sync what you say here. Thank you thank you. something here you said is tickling deep in my heart.

My first MB was the E320 - three long years - whether I left it there still for a month when I went to business trips - whether I drive it 50km daily on highways now - it never disappoints me in any aspects. ( e.g. it never ever breakdowns ). Once we own a MB saloon, it is a point of no return.

However, while I was so happy with the E320, then when it comes to situations that a 3 litre engine "isn't enough", is the takeover at critical times. Leave the E500 aside (as its high price tag in HK ), that where the coming E350 ( 7 speed, 270hp+ ) comes to live. ( MB knows EXACTLY what one wants and will offer us something with a balance of what we can afford.)

I said before in other threads, my only experience on M3 is just passenger of it. Unlike many here, I actually never compared whether I want to get a M3 or a C55. Not because I don't like the M3 but it is mainly the 3 series is fading out so I would not pay a fortune for a "new car" which is only "fashionable" for a year. When we go for a C class , I think we have more or less already managed the "fashion" expectations in different ways.
( The M3 is surely more sexy as a coupe and will impress the ladies when they sit inside the nappa brown color seats and see the awesome ****pit. Truly, the SMG shiftings may be a concern, somehow, one can surely live with it.)

Our decision process is over. I am taking a day off today and I am picking my Brilliant Silver C55 up in one hour.

many thanks

cnt
Old 08-19-2004, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by MBWorld1
Please let us know your experiences with the new car when you get it.
I too have thought about selling me W210 and going with the C55 but have had reservations because it was smaller.

I test drove the E500 and really didn't like the brakes. The performance was not too much improved and it was not worth it for me to upgrade to that model at this time.

Please let me know if the brakes on the C55 are responsive.

THanks

Thanks I surely will share.
I am picking it up in an hour , I am late already.

I am puzzled why SBC is so hard for the current MB own to appreciate??

cnt
Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
just a little difficult to get used to ... brakes felt awfully touchy when i drove my dad's w211...but very very nice indeed in panic situations..traffic can be a pain in the b*tt sometimes...

but y do i get the feeling u r not getting the c55 because for what it's supposed to bring to the table. it almost seems like what u really want is a w211 e500, even with the high price in hk...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:44 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
Originally Posted by steve s
just a little difficult to get used to ... brakes felt awfully touchy when i drove my dad's w211...but very very nice indeed in panic situations..traffic can be a pain in the b*tt sometimes...

but y do i get the feeling u r not getting the c55 because for what it's supposed to bring to the table. it almost seems like what u really want is a w211 e500, even with the high price in hk...

I can relate to cntlaw's dilemma.....

as consumers...we all have normal goods that we desire although "MY" desire is to have an E55, my financial contraints and other priorities only allow for me to shop in the $55-60KUS segment.....
Old 08-20-2004, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by DbleNckel
I can relate to cntlaw's dilemma.....

as consumers...we all have normal goods that we desire although "MY" desire is to have an E55, my financial contraints and other priorities only allow for me to shop in the $55-60KUS segment.....

Aren't we all ? I always tell myself , if I can always afford what I want , the future will be very boring. e.g. what is the excitement of getting a E55 if I can also afford a E65 , CL65 or even a Ferrari. ( sorry I make a fuzz and off topic )

But you are right, E55 will offer the E class saloon deluxe quality , latest technology (SBC,airmatic,lumber support) plus an AMG engine. And, I must admit , I love the look of the E more than CL, SL, SLK.

We will get it one day and it will be a better E55.

cnt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E320 to C55 Attitude Change?