C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Realigned my Steering Wheel and SRS light came on >.>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, 05 Evo, 10 CTSV
Realigned my Steering Wheel and SRS light came on >.>

I have a different steering wheel on my C32 AMG, it's a oem 'AMG' one with red stitching, it came on my car when I had it, it was always really off centered.

One day I removed and realigned it that when I want to go straight the wheel wasnt at a 1 o clock position (how the previous owner managed to do this is beyond me)

Anyways the SRS light came on after I buttoned it all back up, i did NOT unplug it when doing this as it did not need to be, but we took it all apart and unplugged and plugged it and it still is on.

Is there a reset I have to do?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz C55 AMG..1967 Lotus Europa..1987 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI..2020 Mercedes Benz E350
Rob......

You may have inadvertently turned the steering wheel too far which, in turn, will actually break the steering angle sensor (clock) and that will trigger the SRS light! Unfortunately, if that's the case, it will be an expensive fix if the MB stealer does it! Get a reliable ODB II scanner and research the codes to understand the fix protocol fixes. There's plenty of good reliable experiences on these forums for help.....

Good luck.....

Rob
Old 12-02-2020, 12:03 PM

C32 AMG, 05 Evo, 10 CTSV
Originally Posted by Robjr
Rob......

You may have inadvertently turned the steering wheel too far which, in turn, will actually break the steering angle sensor (clock) and that will trigger the SRS light! Unfortunately, if that's the case, it will be an expensive fix if the MB stealer does it! Get a reliable ODB II scanner and research the codes to understand the fix protocol fixes. There's plenty of good reliable experiences on these forums for help.....

Good luck.....

Rob
Sorry that doesnt quite make sense on how that would happen
Let me try to paint a better picture

The steering wheel has a red line at the 12 o clock position
When I got the car like 8 months ago, the steering wheel would have to be at like the 1 or 2 o clock position for it to actually be straight

So before we removed the steering wheel, we set the position of the steering wheel to be straight (red line at 1 o clock), we then removed the wheel and turned it counter clockwise
The sensor clip was never touched the first time.

Wouldnt the sensor just break even before I removed the wheel ?

and I ahve a obd2 reader, I have 2 of them, one is the torque app, and I have this other one that reads only CEL and ABS. Probably gotta take it into the parts store to use theirs?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz C55 AMG..1967 Lotus Europa..1987 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI..2020 Mercedes Benz E350
Rob....

Now I understand.....As long as the splined shaft never moved after you removed and reinstalled the steering wheel...you should be ok. Since the SRS warning light came on, there will be a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) for you to research and find the fix. Could be a loose wire, etc. Also, some dtc can be eliminated by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so to reset the system. That may or may not solve the issue.

Again, good luck! Let the forum what you found out..

Rob
Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM

C32 AMG, 05 Evo, 10 CTSV
Originally Posted by Robjr
Rob....

Now I understand.....As long as the splined shaft never moved after you removed and reinstalled the steering wheel...you should be ok. Since the SRS warning light came on, there will be a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) for you to research and find the fix. Could be a loose wire, etc. Also, some dtc can be eliminated by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so to reset the system. That may or may not solve the issue.

Again, good luck! Let the forum what you found out..

Rob
ESP came on only because we disconnected the battery prior to doing the steering wheel, but it went away when we drove the road

the SRS light is on and still on.even after we tried to disconnect the battery

Old 12-10-2020, 02:29 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
I would check to see that you weren't the one that screwed up the steering wheel position causing the SRS light to stay on, which is exactly what will happen if the steering wheel is not positioned correctly on the steering splined shaft. With the airbag off and the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position there will be two locating marks at 12 and 6 on your steering wheel above and below the hole for the splined steering shaft. Those marks should line up with the two yellowish marks on the splined steering shaft. Did you note the relative positions of the marks on the steering wheel and splined shaft before you removed the steering wheel to see if the steering wheel was actually not mounted correctly?

Typically an off center steering wheel while driving straight means your alignment is off. That is, wheel/tire alignment, not steering wheel alignment. Just because your car drives relatively straight down the road and doesn't pull left or right doesn't mean your alignment isn't off. Did you ever have that checked? Did somebody tell you your wheel alignment is probably off and you took that to mean steering wheel?

If you did mess up the steering wheel position relative to the steering shaft, putting it back in the right position likely won't clear the SRS light on it's own. You will probably need to have it cleared via an appropriate obd tool.

I gotta say, not to be a D....but you have a peculiar way of diagnosing problems, a la replacing the battery when you have an ignition switch code.

Last edited by brauhaus313; 12-10-2020 at 02:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robjr (12-10-2020)