C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
oil leak

my car is leaking quite a bit of oil, but the oil sensor says "OK". i bought a universal dipstick and found the measurement of what my car should be at and i found there was no oil on the dipstick except for maybe 5cm. should i trust the oil sensor? i read online many occasions that the oil sensor can go bad, can leak oil if not fitted propperly etc. at this point im just going to replace it and the valvecover gaskets, the oil pan, the sump gasket, etc. the car has leaked about half a cup of oil within 2 days, does anyone know any common places that tend to leak oil on the m112 or has anyone experienced this before. someone also told me it might be the intercooler.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
The M113 is known for it, so I'd assume the M112 has similar issues since it's essentially the same motor with 2 fewer cylinders. The oil cooler and valve covers are typically the biggest culprits and are considered normal maintenance. It could also be the rear main seal, as those are known to leak too. Start with the easy stuff (valve cover gaskets and oil cooler) and go from there. You will need a 46mm socket to get the oil cooler off.
Amazon Amazon

Buy the OEM gaskets - not the slightly cheaper aftermarket ones. Check FCP Euro for the parts - everything you buy is guaranteed for life (and you will need to do this every couple of years).

Yes, the oil level sensor can also go bad. I've had to replace mine (and found the oil level was way less than it should be). Just do it when you change the oil - easy job. Electrical connector and 3 small bolts. Pull it out of the bottom of the oil pan and insert the new one. About $90.

Last edited by Spooky55; 12-13-2020 at 03:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pda1971 (02-16-2024)
Old 12-13-2020, 08:19 PM

c32 amg
Originally Posted by Spooky55
The M113 is known for it, so I'd assume the M112 has similar issues since it's essentially the same motor with 2 fewer cylinders. The oil cooler and valve covers are typically the biggest culprits and are considered normal maintenance. It could also be the rear main seal, as those are known to leak too. Start with the easy stuff (valve cover gaskets and oil cooler) and go from there. You will need a 46mm socket to get the oil cooler off. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QO9GU6

Buy the OEM gaskets - not the slightly cheaper aftermarket ones. Check FCP Euro for the parts - everything you buy is guaranteed for life (and you will need to do this every couple of years).

Yes, the oil level sensor can also go bad. I've had to replace mine (and found the oil level was way less than it should be). Just do it when you change the oil - easy job. Electrical connector and 3 small bolts. Pull it out of the bottom of the oil pan and insert the new one. About $90.
should i use a flourescent dye like a uv leak detector to see where its leaking from?
Old 12-14-2020, 05:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
You can - that'll probably reveal the worst of the leaks since those are where it'll come out first/heaviest, but I'd almost guarantee the valve cover gaskets are leaking and/or the oil cooler. Easy enough to spot without any dye. Oil pan, rear seal, etc. will be more difficult (i.e. expensive) to fix. I believe the supercharger has it's own oil reservoir... Like I said, start with cheap and easy first and go from there.

Don't trust the oil level sensor until you know it's correct. The first thing I'd do is change your oil so you know it's at the proper level. Then check with the computer and the dipstick. If the computer is wrong, you'll know to replace the sensor at the next oil change.

Last edited by Spooky55; 12-14-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:08 PM

c32 amg
Originally Posted by Spooky55
You can - that'll probably reveal the worst of the leaks since those are where it'll come out first/heaviest, but I'd almost guarantee the valve cover gaskets are leaking and/or the oil cooler. Easy enough to spot without any dye. Oil pan, rear seal, etc. will be more difficult (i.e. expensive) to fix. I believe the supercharger has it's own oil reservoir... Like I said, start with cheap and easy first and go from there.

Don't trust the oil level sensor until you know it's correct. The first thing I'd do is change your oil so you know it's at the proper level. Then check with the computer and the dipstick. If the computer is wrong, you'll know to replace the sensor at the next oil change.
so i got my oil changed and checked. luckily its just a new oil cooler/heat exchanger. they said it might just be the hoses that are leaking as the car has been sitting for a while before my purchase. there was still a remaining 7.75 quarts of oil in my engine so its not too bad. thanks for the help!