C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pinging sound and red header

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C32 amg
Pinging sound and red header

So I recently replaced my tps map sensor throttle body, new o2 sensors due to code p0221, car was running like **** but after all that it’s gotten better still idled a little high. After replacing I started up the car after about 3-5 min I noticed my header (driver side) was starting to flow red. What could be the cause of this? Also there’s a pinging sound.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcruz559
So I recently replaced my tps map sensor throttle body, new o2 sensors due to code p0221, car was running like **** but after all that it’s gotten better still idled a little high. After replacing I started up the car after about 3-5 min I noticed my header (driver side) was starting to flow red. What could be the cause of this? Also there’s a pinging sound.
Some OEM headers tend to crack on the inside without you noticing it, since the material is double-walled. The loose metal parts can clog the header and cause high temperatures. The other issue could be a melting or clogged catalytic converter. Oil consumption or aging can cause the cat to melt or break. Then the engine could suck parts of the cat into the header or (worst case) combustion chamber. This could cause severe damage to your engine.

I recommend that you remove your exhaust system to check the header and cats for any signs of wear. I would not drive the vehicle in the meanwhile, to avoid any further serious damage.

Did you record the a video or sound file?

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:01 AM

W203 C32 amg
Originally Posted by amgfreak87
Some OEM headers tend to crack on the inside without you noticing it, since the material is double-walled. The loose metal parts can clog the header and cause high temperatures. The other issue could be a melting or clogged catalytic converter. Oil consumption or aging can cause the cat to melt or break. Then the engine could suck parts of the cat into the header or (worst case) combustion chamber. This could cause severe damage to your engine.

I recommend that you remove your exhaust system to check the header and cats for any signs of wear. I would not drive the vehicle in the meanwhile, to avoid any further serious damage.

Did you record the a video or sound file?

Hope that helps.
Sorry forgot to mention I have shorty EC headers and needs wings catless down pipes. Have a video of the sound but for some reason won’t let me upload. I’ll keep trying
Old 02-02-2021, 01:02 AM

W203 C32 amg
Ping sound

Here is a video on of the sound it makes
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0790.MOV (13.12 MB, 27 views)
Old 02-02-2021, 05:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a video on of the sound it makes

If you don’t have cats and a single walled header, you can ignore my post above.

Sounds more like a bearing to me. Have you tried running the engine with the belt off(only for a few seconds because everything with a belt is out of operation)? Could also be a bad supercharger bearing.

This would not explain the glowing header on the driver side though.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:04 AM

W203 C32 amg
Originally Posted by amgfreak87
If you don’t have cats and a single walled header, you can ignore my post above.

Sounds more like a bearing to me. Have you tried running the engine with the belt off(only for a few seconds because everything with a belt is out of operation)? Could also be a bad supercharger bearing.

This would not explain the glowing header on the driver side though.

Keep us posted and good luck!
I haven’t, not really worried about the bearing atm I have a unused oem. Have read it could be timing is off or really bad vacuum leak.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Running super lean would cause excessive engine temps to the point of meltdown (it would also explain the pinging). Since you just replaced the TPS and O2 sensors, I'd start there. Either one or more of the new sensors is bad or the wrong specs - did you use OEM or universal/aftermarket sensors? Check the fuel trims, O2 sensor readings, MAF rate etc. A scan tool with live data would pick that up...

Did you replace just the TPS sensor or the whole MAF and or throttle body? Many have problems with non-OEM MAF sensors. Buy only OEM or genuine Bosch from a reputable seller. There is a strong possibility that there's a massive air leak somewhere. Did you get everything sealed up?

Swap the old sensors back in to troubleshoot.

Code P0221 is Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The accelerator pedals themselves also occasionally go bad. You may have been barking up the wrong tree with O2 sensors and need a new pedal. There are threads here about that.

Last edited by Spooky55; 02-08-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:37 AM

W203 C32 amg
Originally Posted by Spooky55
Running super lean would cause excessive engine temps to the point of meltdown (it would also explain the pinging). Since you just replaced the TPS and O2 sensors, I'd start there. Either one or more of the new sensors is bad or the wrong specs - did you use OEM or universal/aftermarket sensors? Check the fuel trims, O2 sensor readings, MAF rate etc. A scan tool with live data would pick that up...

Did you replace just the TPS sensor or the whole MAF and or throttle body? Many have problems with non-OEM MAF sensors. Buy only OEM or genuine Bosch from a reputable seller. There is a strong possibility that there's a massive air leak somewhere. Did you get everything sealed up?

Swap the old sensors back in to troubleshoot.

Code P0221 is Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The accelerator pedals themselves also occasionally go bad. You may have been barking up the wrong tree with O2 sensors and need a new pedal. There are threads here about that.

replaced entire throttle body, besides harness. So new throttle body, new map sensor new tps, new o2 sensors. Everything is oem from fcpeuro.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Well, it sounds like you bought all the right parts... I still suspect a lean condition from a large air leak or bad sensor causing excessive fuel trims. If it's a bad sensor, at least FCP is good about replacements but you don't want to melt your motor in the meantime. Could also be a leak after the MAF or around the throttle body or even something as simple as a clogged fuel filter or injectors. Spray some starting fluid down around the throttle body and see if the idle changes.

Did you change the fuel filter by chance? It sounds like you're buying everything OEM, but on the off chance - the fuel regulator is built into the stock fuel filter.

When did the car start running poorly and throwing codes? Were the headers and downpipes installed recently or had they been there awhile? You may need a tune to compensate for the freer flowing exhaust - that may be beyond the ECU's ability to adjust enough without help.

Take a look at the fuel trims, MAF rates, and O2 sensor readings. I wouldn't spend any more money throwing parts at it. Look at the data - the answer is there somewhere.

Last edited by Spooky55; 02-10-2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
replaced entire throttle body, besides harness. So new throttle body, new map sensor new tps, new o2 sensors. Everything is oem from fcpeuro.
What's the more detailed code? P0221 is generic - star, autel, icarsoft scanners will give you specific codes. Either way, this can relate to either your TPS plug or TB plug depending on the code. In my case, I had codes for TB actuators, replaced it and it persisted. Replacing the plug of the harness solved it.