Need help and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Need help and advice

Photo from second code reading
So bought a new to me C32. Everything on the car runs great. These fault codes came up so I took it to a shop. They plugged it into a reader and they said it was the front left wheel speed sensor. Went to FCP Euro, bought the sensor for the front and replaced it. Turned on the car and the codes were still coming up. Took it again to try to clear the codes but they couldn’t keep them clear which means it’s a hard code. Anybody else have this or know how to fix it? Keep in mind car still drives great minus that it sometimes will pull power or not shift at the right times, most likely because it thinks one wheel is not moving?
Old 06-26-2021, 03:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2005 S55 AMG Designo, (sold)2001 ML55 Designo, (sold)2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
Did you end up figuring out what the issue was? maybe wrong tire size?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:13 AM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh
Did you end up figuring out what the issue was? maybe wrong tire size?
Nope. The tires are OEM. Going to have to take it to the dealer for them to read the actual Mercedes code and then fix it myself. From reading some other posts on this forum it could be anything from an old battery to the ESP module to the ABS pump module mounted next to the ESP module.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:28 PM

2005 S55 AMG Designo, (sold)2001 ML55 Designo, (sold)2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
Originally Posted by OddC32
Nope. The tires are OEM. Going to have to take it to the dealer for them to read the actual Mercedes code and then fix it myself. From reading some other posts on this forum it could be anything from an old battery to the ESP module to the ABS pump module mounted next to the ESP module.
you won't need a dealership to read those codes. I'm sure it's your own code reader that isn't rated higher so it can't get those advanced codes. Ask some friends or family to see if they have or know anyone with a code reader. I have a Launch Reader that gives me tons of info including ABS codes that don't show up on my mobile reader that is almost the same as yours. There are apps you can download and bluetooth obd plugins that can do dealer level diagnostics for a fair price online (amazon). The dealership is going to charge you a ton for a diagnostic when you can put that towards a better reader or parts. I doubt you have a major issue if the car is still driving. It could be something electrical like a fuse or relay or maybe even the canbus that is causing multiple codes. Was there any work recently performed on the car that is related to your codes?

Do you have issues shifting out of park or maybe your brake lights don't work?
Old 06-26-2021, 07:38 PM

2003 C32 AMG
you won't need a dealership to read those codes. I'm sure it's your own code reader that isn't rated higher so it can't get those advanced codes. Ask some friends or family to see if they have or know anyone with a code reader. I have a Launch Reader that gives me tons of info including ABS codes that don't show up on my mobile reader that is almost the same as yours. There are apps you can download and bluetooth obd plugins that can do dealer level diagnostics for a fair price online (amazon). The dealership is going to charge you a ton for a diagnostic when you can put that towards a better reader or parts. I doubt you have a major issue if the car is still driving. It could be something electrical like a fuse or relay or maybe even the canbus that is causing multiple codes. Was there any work recently performed on the car that is related to your codes?

Do you have issues shifting out of park or maybe your brake lights don't work?
zero issues. Literally everything is working. During driving it will sometimes cut power a little going around a corner because my guess it thinks that one wheel is not spinning correctly or reads the other wheels spinning out? I did see a recent YouTube video where the guys glovebox light fuse burnt out and would not allow him to start the car with the same codes on the dash. Replaced the fuse and it started up with no code. Any recommendations on code readers? I have seen and heard good things on Carly that links to phones through Bluetooth and OBD.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
have you cleaned the wheel speed sensors?
Old 06-28-2021, 11:07 PM

zero issues. Literally everything is working. During driving it will sometimes cut power a little going around a corner because my guess it thinks that one wheel is not spinning correctly or reads the other wheels spinning out? I did see a recent YouTube video where the guys glovebox light fuse burnt out and would not allow him to start the car with the same codes on the dash. Replaced the fuse and it started up with no code. Any recommendations on code readers? I have seen and heard good things on Carly that links to phones through Bluetooth and OBD.
Carly is good. I have a friend who has a similar scanner to it but he also has a regular handheld one that is specific to bmw and it wasnt expensive either. It reads dealer level codes and he can actuate things from it like fuel injectors, fans, etc. I'd say that is more what you're looking for . I personally have a launch scanner for my garage which is bit more advanced but I also have an actron scanner for on the go stuff. So, you replaced the fuse and now your code doesnt throw the code? If you havent resolved your issue your best bet for a free diagnoses is too really search the forum and other forum threads for other C32's with the same codes and see if they have matching problems and potential solutions.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:26 AM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by insame1
have you cleaned the wheel speed sensors?
Completely replaced
Old 06-29-2021, 07:32 AM

2003 C32 AMG
Carly is good. I have a friend who has a similar scanner to it but he also has a regular handheld one that is specific to bmw and it wasnt expensive either. It reads dealer level codes and he can actuate things from it like fuel injectors, fans, etc. I'd say that is more what you're looking for . I personally have a launch scanner for my garage which is bit more advanced but I also have an actron scanner for on the go stuff. So, you replaced the fuse and now your code doesnt throw the code? If you havent resolved your issue your best bet for a free diagnoses is too really search the forum and other forum threads for other C32's with the same codes and see if they have matching problems and potential solutions.
I have not gotten to the fuse box yet. Was giving an example that you were correct in saying it could be something small like a fuse. I have tried to search this forum as well as others for the issue and when I do find something there are always huge issues with the car operating like it won’t shift out of park or it goes into literal limp mode and won’t shift out of 1st gear. I have driven the car almost daily and everything other than these codes seems to be performing better as the last owner let it sit in a barn for a year without driving it. Will be doing some other paint work and deep dive into other small issues in July. Will keep the communication coming just for other people’s education if I figure it out. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 06-30-2021, 10:28 PM

I have not gotten to the fuse box yet. Was giving an example that you were correct in saying it could be something small like a fuse. I have tried to search this forum as well as others for the issue and when I do find something there are always huge issues with the car operating like it won’t shift out of park or it goes into literal limp mode and won’t shift out of 1st gear. I have driven the car almost daily and everything other than these codes seems to be performing better as the last owner let it sit in a barn for a year without driving it. Will be doing some other paint work and deep dive into other small issues in July. Will keep the communication coming just for other people’s education if I figure it out. Thank you so much for your help!
Here is an odd question for your odd C32. How old is your battery? any info on how old your alternator is? Electrical is hard to diagnose because a lot of techs don't know where to start but your charging system is responsible for a lot. Do you have anyway to test your battery? Maybe your battery isn't charging to spec and the low voltage is causing your sensor to malfunction. If you could borrow a multimeter, place the test leads to your battery terminals and see if your is battery is struggling to stay above 13.5 volts.

You could also have a grounding issue or maybe the sensor wire is exposed somewhere after years of being exposed to elements and heat. If you've replaced the sensor, then most likely it isnt the sensor itself. There could be an issue with the pins from the fuse not making contact with the fuse box because someone forced them in and damaged the contact points.

These are just some suggestions but just in case. Fortunately for you, it still runs and drives but it's good to have everything sorted
Old 07-01-2021, 01:34 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Here is an odd question for your odd C32. How old is your battery? any info on how old your alternator is? Electrical is hard to diagnose because a lot of techs don't know where to start but your charging system is responsible for a lot. Do you have anyway to test your battery? Maybe your battery isn't charging to spec and the low voltage is causing your sensor to malfunction. If you could borrow a multimeter, place the test leads to your battery terminals and see if your is battery is struggling to stay above 13.5 volts.

You could also have a grounding issue or maybe the sensor wire is exposed somewhere after years of being exposed to elements and heat. If you've replaced the sensor, then most likely it isnt the sensor itself. There could be an issue with the pins from the fuse not making contact with the fuse box because someone forced them in and damaged the contact points.

These are just some suggestions but just in case. Fortunately for you, it still runs and drives but it's good to have everything sorted
Thank you for those suggestions. I do have a shop I trust to take all those readings and will get them done here after the 4th holiday. Will post as soon as I get the results to help others.