C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007
View Poll Results: Who makes the best complete suspension upgrade?
Brabus
5.56%
Carlsson
50.00%
Kleemann
5.56%
Renntech
16.67%
Custom Home-Brew
16.67%
Something cool I haven't even heard of (explain)
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Suspension Wars!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Suspension Wars!

Who makes the best suspension out of the box?

First hand experience is appreciated, rather than what you heard from your father's uncle's brother's friend's aunt's college roommate's grandson who is currently "doing some time" at an undisclosed location.

Feel free to explain why in the reply.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
You forgot Atkins.

But seriously... I think the only reliable way to tell is for some pro driver to lap identical cars using different suspensions to see which comes out on top.

The poll will just end up being a popularity contest IMO.

Last edited by oggle; 09-21-2004 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you looking for full suspension upgrade or just lowering springs? How much do you anticipated to spend?

There is no one single "the best" suspension (actually I think there are two, but some will disagree with me). Depending on your NEEDS and EXPECTATION, some will think getting a set of Renntech springs is the best or good enough for his car while some will think only a set of coilovers will do the trick.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:05 AM

You are probably right, Oggle, but I keep a candle lit for the hope that those who can "bring it" on this board will belly up to the feed trough. Really the poll is a sadistic trick to get people to explain their choices, but you clearly saw through my little ruse.

I can tell you are a slippery one, and I have my eye on you. ... the good one that is.

Last edited by rguy; 09-21-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:13 AM

Harris,

I guess I am talking about the whole shebang, as I think springs are probably only 32.7% of the equation. However, if you feel lowering the w203 CXX AMG is all it needs, feel free to post that exactly.

I am really just trying to figure out what people think it takes to make the C be all it can be.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:08 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
i've heard that the Carlsson RS coilovers are considered the best by many people. based off people's impressions, cornering is very flat, very confidence-inspiring, and overall the very best you can have. they are compression and rebound adjustable as they are designed off of the Bilstein PSS-9 Coilovers (not available for C32's by Bilstein here i believe), with custom Carlsson shock valving. Bilstein has a great motorsports reputation and work great on the street (except with 996 turbos ) but everything else is fantastic. my friend has bilstein pss9's in his car and loves it, and bilstein is very good reputation espeically with the PSS-9's. it is very highly recommended if you can afford it. i think they're about $2400 or give or take a couple hundred.

i couldn't afford it and my main goal was not to make it handle as good as possible because that's not my intentions for the car. if i wanted a better handling car without the "mercedes" steering feel, i would have gotten another E36 M3. i decided to get the H&R Coilovers, which are about $1300.

H&R Coilovers are height-adjustable but not compression or rebound. i DID however, notice a great improvement in handling. cornering is significantly flatter, more confidence-inspiring through long sweepers (less understeer), higher limit, and the car's not as quirky/tricky. i lowered mine quite a bit, and i am on stock 17's with Toyo T1-S proxes tires (stock sizes). the ride is noticably bumpier, but this is not in a bad way at all. in fact, i welcome more "road feel" and i am very pleased with the ride. it's firm but not harsh at all. still very comfortable, just lets you know what's going on more...and i don't mind the added bumpiness at all. by bumpiness i mean less travel but greater frequency and control, and while the suspenison is not as "smooth", it is more "taut". i could see this firmness coming from the factory, and i would be pleased with it for the C32 purposes, keeping in mind what this car was intended for from the factory.

for my purposes and budget, the H&R coilovers worked very well for me. i mainly wanted a drop and it gave me pretty low ride height (i have some tuck in the rear), and though it does not handle like an E36 M3, i am pleasantly-surpsied by the coilovers, because i didn't expect such an improvement in handling. it doesn't transofrm the car but is a very good addition and improvement.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 PM

Asking for the "best" suspension is a bit vague, as everyone's definition of best will vary depending on their situation and circumstances. What's best for the race track is never the same as what's best for driving customers and clients around in downtown Boston.

And of course what's best for back canyons through Mullholland could be an entirely different setup.

It's best to tell us what you're looking to get out from your suspension upgrades. Do you want/need height adjustability? Do you track the car? Do you frequently haul crap around, stereo gear, or other stuff that might weigh the car down?
How are the roads where you live? Are you upgrading wheels and tires? etc. etc.

The more information you can present of your situation, the better someone can suggest a kit or combination of spring/shock that will really work for you.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by PUREMS
Asking for the "best" suspension is a bit vague, as everyone's definition of best will vary depending on their situation and circumstances. What's best for the race track is never the same as what's best for driving customers and clients around in downtown Boston.

And of course what's best for back canyons through Mullholland could be an entirely different setup.

It's best to tell us what you're looking to get out from your suspension upgrades. Do you want/need height adjustability? Do you track the car? Do you frequently haul crap around, stereo gear, or other stuff that might weigh the car down?
How are the roads where you live? Are you upgrading wheels and tires? etc. etc.

The more information you can present of your situation, the better someone can suggest a kit or combination of spring/shock that will really work for you.
well said PUREMS. rguy, i think the board could be of more help if you specified what exactly you intend the car for and what are your habits / priorities with the car? like i said, for my purposes, which was primarily a nice drop (and knowing that H&R doesn't kill the ride), i chose the H&R's...as well as the financial considerations. the well improved handling was a big bonus for me. i appreciate how Carlsson transforms the handling, but i thought that the C32 was not meant for tracking or even taking twisties very fast. but since i don't track the car, i didn't get the Carlssons, beacuse for the money spent on that, i could have better prioritized my funds. some are happy with RENNtech springs and don't see why people would pay for more, some are happy with H&R coilovers (i'm very satisfied with them), and some will go Carlsson RS or no other way. ultimately depends on what you want out of the car. help us help you, this board can be very informative and i've gotten quite a bit of help around here hope it can be the same for you!

- kevin
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 PM

I guess the main two things I was looking for in determining the best overal suspension setup from a tuner or a collection of parts suppliers, were reduced weight transfer and retained driveability.

I don't want a suspension that dents my rims on every pothole, and I don't want a suspension that requires six hours of track time to sort out.

What I do want is a suspension that has reduced body roll, better cornering feel and ability. Lowered ride height is optional.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 PM

Honestly guys, I think this thread has gotten a little side-tracked. It has gone from a poll of which suspension you think is best, and associated descriptions as to why it is the best for you; to how I can pick the best suspension for my car.

Honestly, I have no intention of getting a new suspension, I was just trying to breathe a little life into the forum with something a little fresh.

I was hoping to encourage discussion of what everyone uses their C AMG for, why they went with the suspension they did, how happy they are with it, and why. Instead I think we have a lot of complaints as to how vague the question was. I left it vague so as not to influence the answers, but I guess it was so vague that noone understood it.

I am hoping that we can proceed with a thread that runs in the way it was intended to run.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:31 PM

i am sorry if my message was interpreted as side-tracking, i think we all only asking you to be more specific so that the board could help more. reason is i've had experience on BMW boards, where one person would ask best exhaust for m3 and most people would reply gruppem, but two of my friends have gruppem and what i'll say is that it probably won't fit everybody's tastes, or purposes. so, no harshness intended, hope none taken.

anyway, like i've said. i was very happy with the H&R coilovers...handling is sharper without being nervous, cornering is flatter with improved control, ride is sportier without being harsh. drop can be pretty low. the reason i explained so much was to help you understand an alternative that wasn't listed.

Last edited by 99e36m3; 09-21-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:08 AM

My "side-tracking" post was just a general statement about the way the thread was going as opposed to how I intended for it to go in general. It wasn't directed at anyone specifically. I am not angry with anyone. Noone was harsh. People were probably just frustrated.