C55: Can't find coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 AMG
Big Update

Originally Posted by brauhaus313
Why not use the right tool for the job instead of prybars and hammers around your windshield and on parts that aren't supposed to be hammered or pried? Not trying to be a jerk but you've been held up for how long now because you can't get a wiper arm off? Hope your headgasket isn't leaking. Good luck.
So I bought that tool: took a little while but the wiper arms came off unscathed! The rest of the cowl removal was straightforward. Here's the weird part; after removing the wiper assembly to see the coolant pipes in question, there are no major visible signs of leakage. I started the car, let it warm up fully for about 15-20 minutes. I did see a minuscule (I mean like 1/10th of a mm) dot of coolant on the plastic line, however it did not get any larger even after revving, and getting the engine very hot! (see pictures below) Very confused right now as I can't imagine this is the problem causing the expansion tank to drop 1 inch every week! Taking it to an Indy shop in a couple days to replace (with warranty) the expansion tank as it has a small hole in the top of the screw hole (was replaced only 6 months ago). Praying this will maybe fix it!

Small spot here

The following users liked this post:
brauhaus313 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:01 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Probably a good idea to replace that y-pipe proactively. That little dot of coolant isn't going to go away and will likely get bigger. Can you see into the hole in your reservoir and if it is opens into the fluid chamber?
Old 06-27-2022, 02:12 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by brauhaus313
Probably a good idea to replace that y-pipe proactively. That little dot of coolant isn't going to go away and will likely get bigger. Can you see into the hole in your reservoir and if it is opens into the fluid chamber?
its too small to see while shining a light in it. Looked there too when the car was running but to leak signs. Going to the shop for expansion tank today. Will update.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:49 PM

C55 AMG
Yeah, shop found absolutely nothing... I would think it could be seeping into the transmission via the radiator, but the radiator was also replaced only 6 months ago! Guess I'm back to topping it off every week!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 PM

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Check the washer fluid reservoir. If you have the heated package there's a coil that runs through the washer fluid reservoir to keep it was to spray properly when below freezing. It runs coolant through it and mine split. Took forever to figure out where it was disappearing to.

Pop the cap and just smell inside the reservoir. Mine was really obvious. 👍
Robjr (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 09:59 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
Check the washer fluid reservoir. If you have the heated package there's a coil that runs through the washer fluid reservoir to keep it was to spray properly when below freezing. It runs coolant through it and mine split. Took forever to figure out where it was disappearing to.

Pop the cap and just smell inside the reservoir. Mine was really obvious. 👍
ill check it out today; thanks for the info!
Old 07-03-2022, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 284 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Definetly replace the Y pipe its a cheap part. Mine was barely leaking but i lightly poked at it with a screw driver and it crumbled to pieces on that round flat area
Robjr (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 01:53 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by PJmak
Definetly replace the Y pipe its a cheap part. Mine was barely leaking but i lightly poked at it with a screw driver and it crumbled to pieces on that round flat area
How difficult is it to replace the y-pipe? I don't mind disassembling the cowl again to get to it, but I couldn't figure out how to get that y-pipe out...