C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2003 C32 more bad parts replaced - engine and transmission mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 10:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 C36 AMG, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 2023 Lectric XP 3.0, 2010 Cervelo
2003 C32 more bad parts replaced - engine and transmission mounts

I had another good day turning wrenches, with one exception. In the process of removing a failed motor mount, I managed to dump all the old hydraulic fluid right in the middle of my chest. Needless to say, that t-shirt went straight in the trash. Yesterday was a 3-shower day.

New Creative Steel motor and transmission mounts are in. I also completed both an engine and transmission fluid and filter change. The engine oil was pretty good, but the transmission fluid was very foul, brown and the level was low. I have purchased dip sticks to test the levels. I did use the car oil level sensor to be sure and get the full 7 quarts and the sensor seems to be very accurate. Today, I will get a good measurement on the dipstick for future reference.

However, I do not have a good frame of reference for the transmission. It is shifting well, and the dipstick showed a good amount when cold. After cycling through the gears, the fluid was off the dipstick again, so I put in some more fluid for a total of 4 quarts. It was dark and I was very tired after the test drive, so I will get some readings on the dipstick later today. Since the transmission fluid was so nasty, I purchased a second change and will probably do both the engine and transmission again this fall, once the weather cools off. I may go through the transmission and put in a conductor plate, blue top solenoids and new valve body parts. I would like to get a tuned transmission control unit, but want to be sure the transmission is in good shape first. How long do the discs, and other friction parts last in these?

The new mounts are stiffer than original, but this car is so much smoother now with new ones that I will never know how the original mounts compare. This car feels like a different machine.

I think I have addressed all of the leaks, with the exception of the rear main seal. I have to decide if I want to tackle that when I update the transmission - probably so. Now, I am moving on to the AC system and suspension. I will create separate threads for those endeavors.

Open Air Shop

The Humble Abode

Automotive Jewelry That Will Never Be Seen

Over 4 decades of wrenching on the ground

Thanks for your service

The following users liked this post:
Celeris AMG (07-24-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 05:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas

Originally Posted by tensleep80
The new mounts are stiffer than original, but this car is so much smoother now with new ones that I will never know how the original mounts compare. This car feels like a different machine.
Is idle smooth? Notice any more or different engine noise?
Old 07-22-2023, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by brauhaus313

Is idle smooth? Notice any more or different engine noise?
The idle was very rough when I first got the car in April, so anything I've done to it has been an improvement. The new motor mounts don't seem to cause any kind of a rough idle at all. In fact, they help to smooth the idle out more than the old worn out units.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:53 AM

How to read aftermarket dipsticks

I purchased aftermarket dipsticks to help figure out what the levels are supposed to be on the transmission fluid and the engine oil. I used the engine computer to determine the oil level first. I added 5 quarts, check the level and it said to add two more quarts, which brings it to seven quarts. I believe this is the correct amount for the C32 from what I've read. Sometimes the information is contradictory but I think this is right. Using the aftermarket dipstick with the engine cold, I get a reading of 105. Does this sound right?

Next, I put in the transmission fluid, 4 quarts total. The transmission fluid level was very low when I pulled out the old fluid. It wasn't even on the dipstick. Now, when cold, the fluid is on the dipstick in the cold range. I'll check the hot range this morning when I get home from work. Does this sound right?

The last image is of a chart that somebody posted on my Facebook post. I'm trying to find a better image because I can hardly see this. Here are some pictures...

Old 07-23-2023, 12:35 PM

Looks like 8 liters or 8.454 quarts is correct. Hmmm, I am down at least one quart.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:37 PM

Found it. Looks like I need to add 2 quarts.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:39 PM

I found some oil data, regarding the capacity and the fill levels. The engine computer says that my oil level is ok, but these charts indicate that I am at least one quart low. Insite would be most welcome.
EDIT: added a quart to the motor oil and a quart to the transmission fluid. Took the car for a 20 minute highway run, the oil dipstick measured around 170, gonna let the oil settle a little. The transmission fluid dipstick measured between the big lines, dead center, with the engine off. I will drive it for a day or two, may add another half quart, depending upon behavior. Feels like a different car with the transmission shifting much more smoothly and the transmission is much quieter.

Dead center, hot, engine off

Last edited by tensleep80; 07-23-2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C32 AMG by Celeris
wouh, those mounts look great, good job!
tensleep80 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 & 2011 E63
I found some oil data, regarding the capacity and the fill levels. The engine computer says that my oil level is ok, but these charts indicate that I am at least one quart low. Insite would be most welcome.
EDIT: added a quart to the motor oil and a quart to the transmission fluid. Took the car for a 20 minute highway run, the oil dipstick measured around 170, gonna let the oil settle a little. The transmission fluid dipstick measured between the big lines, dead center, with the engine off. I will drive it for a day or two, may add another half quart, depending upon behavior. Feels like a different car with the transmission shifting much more smoothly and the transmission is much quieter.

Dead center, hot, engine off
Just my personal experience:
For engine oil hot and 10 min shut off, I prefer to see oil at 170 on the stick. Any more than that I've seen a "reduce engine oil" message.

Your trans fluid is low if you measured it when the trans temp was 80c. Best to be in between the top to hash marks.

Been thinking hard about the Creative Steel motor mounts. Thanks for the review!
Old 07-26-2023, 01:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
I had another good day turning wrenches, with one exception. In the process of removing a failed motor mount, I managed to dump all the old hydraulic fluid right in the middle of my chest. Needless to say, that t-shirt went straight in the trash. Yesterday was a 3-shower day.

New Creative Steel motor and transmission mounts are in. I also completed both an engine and transmission fluid and filter change. The engine oil was pretty good, but the transmission fluid was very foul, brown and the level was low. I have purchased dip sticks to test the levels. I did use the car oil level sensor to be sure and get the full 7 quarts and the sensor seems to be very accurate. Today, I will get a good measurement on the dipstick for future reference.

However, I do not have a good frame of reference for the transmission. It is shifting well, and the dipstick showed a good amount when cold. After cycling through the gears, the fluid was off the dipstick again, so I put in some more fluid for a total of 4 quarts. It was dark and I was very tired after the test drive, so I will get some readings on the dipstick later today. Since the transmission fluid was so nasty, I purchased a second change and will probably do both the engine and transmission again this fall, once the weather cools off. I may go through the transmission and put in a conductor plate, blue top solenoids and new valve body parts. I would like to get a tuned transmission control unit, but want to be sure the transmission is in good shape first. How long do the discs, and other friction parts last in these?

I think I have addressed all of the leaks, with the exception of the rear main seal. I have to decide if I want to tackle that when I update the transmission - probably so. Now, I am moving on to the AC system and suspension. I will create separate threads for those endeavors.

Open Air Shop

The Humble Abode

Automotive Jewelry That Will Never Be Seen

Over 4 decades of wrenching on the ground

Thanks for your service

Thank you for the positive feedback! We genuinely love to see our customers builds and the work they are doing. If you wouldn't mind leaving a review on our website it would be greatly appreciated. All you have to do it click on the "review" tab below the product image to leave a review. Thank you again for the support!

To leave a review: 02-04 Mercedes C32 AMG (ELIMIVIBE™) Engine Mounts
Old 07-26-2023, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
Thank you for the positive feedback! We genuinely love to see our customers builds and the work they are doing. If you wouldn't mind leaving a review on our website it would be greatly appreciated. All you have to do it click on the "review" tab below the product image to leave a review. Thank you again for the support!

To leave a review: 02-04 Mercedes C32 AMG (ELIMIVIBE™) Engine Mounts
I will sure do that! I work nights though and I just finished repairing my air conditioner in 100° heat for the house, so I'm going to bed now. But I'll make sure and get it done over the weekend at least. I love these motor and transmission mounts - they make a big difference in the car's driveability.

Last edited by tensleep80; 07-27-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Creative Steel (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evansaero
Just my personal experience:
For engine oil hot and 10 min shut off, I prefer to see oil at 170 on the stick. Any more than that I've seen a "reduce engine oil" message.

Your trans fluid is low if you measured it when the trans temp was 80c. Best to be in between the top to hash marks.

Been thinking hard about the Creative Steel motor mounts. Thanks for the review!
Yep, I put in a little more transmission fluid to get it between those top two marks when it's hot and it did make a positive difference in how the transmission performs. I have a rough road on my way to work, and I've noticed the oil overfill light pop on briefly after I've gone over to dip or two or around the corner driving hard. I'll probably pull just a little bit out this weekend. It doesn't happen every time I drive the car but it won't hurt to bring it down a little bit. If you're considering motor mounts, I think these are really good units and are worth the price. And I got them on sale, so I think I saved $70.