C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Clanking noise after using long bolts with spare tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320
Clanking noise after using long bolts with spare tire

Hi guys! ...had to replace driver rear tire with the thin spare, and totally forgot that I needed to use the short bolts with it; I should had figured something was wrong when a couple of the long bolts gave me a hard time to completely tighten them, nevertheless I placed them all, tightened them up, jacked the car down, and when wife started to move forward of course she couldn't, but don't recall if she was able to move forward a complete turn or not, I actually think she didn't, but no matter how much she did try to move forward, it was enough to cause some issue. After I realized my mistake, I replaced the bolts -only 4 of them, since it is what came, but now as she drives you can hear a clanking noise ...I cannot see any damage after removing spare to check, but for sure placing the long bolts did something since it clanks every turn of the wheel ...I still have the spare on waiting for new tire to arrive, but wanting to know if anyone can give me a heads up as to what I may have busted, thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
The parking brake mechanism inside the rotor is toast.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 06:03 PM

2004 C320
Originally Posted by cdk4219
The parking brake mechanism inside the rotor is toast.
...thanks, but could you elaborate more? ...can I drive it to Tire Plus a couple blocks away? ...will anything from it block the wheel, etc? ...it clanks less when backing up ...already bought the tire for them to replace on Thursday, so they'll check further then ...
Old 08-21-2023, 08:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Hi guys! ...had to replace driver rear tire with the thin spare, and totally forgot that I needed to use the short bolts with it; I should had figured something was wrong when a couple of the long bolts gave me a hard time to completely tighten them, nevertheless I placed them all, tightened them up, jacked the car down, and when wife started to move forward of course she couldn't, but don't recall if she was able to move forward a complete turn or not, I actually think she didn't, but no matter how much she did try to move forward, it was enough to cause some issue. After I realized my mistake, I replaced the bolts -only 4 of them, since it is what came, but now as she drives you can hear a clanking noise ...I cannot see any damage after removing spare to check, but for sure placing the long bolts did something since it clanks every turn of the wheel ...I still have the spare on waiting for new tire to arrive, but wanting to know if anyone can give me a heads up as to what I may have busted, thanks in advance.
I know a fair amount about the W210 but almost nothing about my new to me W203. This one is definitely a file away this info moment.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600

Those threaded holes are where the wheel bolts go in, and the springs behind them are what is rolling around inside the rotor. Maybe other things as well. As for driving it, I would advise against it, it may lock up, and will definitely do further damage m, but that’s up to you
Old 08-23-2023, 01:23 PM

2004 C320
Thank you all. My mistake cost me nearly $280 to fix, between spring kit, labor and taxes ... I'm planning to put some type of note on top of spare tire to remind using short screws next time.