C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Apple & Mercedes-Benz Unveil iPod Integration Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Apple & Mercedes-Benz Unveil iPod Integration Kit

I thought people might be interested in this.

Leif W.

"Mercedes-Benz is First Automaker to Deliver Full iPod Music Navigation

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AppleŽ and Mercedes-Benz USA today announced the iPodŽ Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz, making Mercedes-Benz the first automaker to provide full iPod music navigation for drivers to listen to their entire iPod music collection through the Mercedes-Benz audio system, as well as select their music using artist, album or playlist with the multifunction controls on the steering wheel and the integrated multifunction display on their instrument cluster. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year.
"Music lovers want to listen to their digital music in their cars, and we're delighted to be working with Mercedes to offer a fully integrated solution," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz features the quality and attention to detail Mercedes is famous for, perfectly complementing Apple's innovative iPod."

"We are very excited to partner with Apple to deliver this wonderful solution," said Paul Halata, president and CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA. "Bringing motorists the world's most elegant iPod offering with full navigation and display continues the Mercedes tradition of offering our customers the innovation and premium quality they expect."

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod, and conveniently connects and stores in the glove compartment. The solution also allows the driver to "See What You're Hearing" with music title or playlist information shown on the integrated multifunction display on the instrument cluster. Drivers will be able to easily access their entire iPod music library, shuffle songs and skip between tracks and playlists.

Pricing & Availability

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will be available to customers for the MSRP of $299 (US) plus installation from authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year. In addition, the solution can be retrofit to many model year 2005 Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Please visit www.mbusa.com/ipod for details. iPod products, sold separately, are available in the US through the Apple StoreŽ (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers."
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM

C32
It's about time. I wonder if the kit can be retroffited on pre 2005 models.

Originally Posted by LeifW
I thought people might be interested in this.

Leif W.

"Mercedes-Benz is First Automaker to Deliver Full iPod Music Navigation

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AppleŽ and Mercedes-Benz USA today announced the iPodŽ Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz, making Mercedes-Benz the first automaker to provide full iPod music navigation for drivers to listen to their entire iPod music collection through the Mercedes-Benz audio system, as well as select their music using artist, album or playlist with the multifunction controls on the steering wheel and the integrated multifunction display on their instrument cluster. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year.
"Music lovers want to listen to their digital music in their cars, and we're delighted to be working with Mercedes to offer a fully integrated solution," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz features the quality and attention to detail Mercedes is famous for, perfectly complementing Apple's innovative iPod."

"We are very excited to partner with Apple to deliver this wonderful solution," said Paul Halata, president and CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA. "Bringing motorists the world's most elegant iPod offering with full navigation and display continues the Mercedes tradition of offering our customers the innovation and premium quality they expect."

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod, and conveniently connects and stores in the glove compartment. The solution also allows the driver to "See What You're Hearing" with music title or playlist information shown on the integrated multifunction display on the instrument cluster. Drivers will be able to easily access their entire iPod music library, shuffle songs and skip between tracks and playlists.

Pricing & Availability

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will be available to customers for the MSRP of $299 (US) plus installation from authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year. In addition, the solution can be retrofit to many model year 2005 Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Please visit www.mbusa.com/ipod for details. iPod products, sold separately, are available in the US through the Apple StoreŽ (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers."
Old 01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
finally, just behind bmw... I gotta ask my dealer now, I wonder what's involved.

I just saw "selected 05 models", I'm gonna take a guess and say that the "selected" models are the ones with command. Who knows, hopefully all MB's can do it (probably not the 05 ML, but hopefully everyone else).

Last edited by nlpamg; 01-11-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
This is great news, and about time!! I was using iTrip with varied results but no ability to control without taking my eyes off of the road. I'm off to my dealer tp pick up my car after anoil change, i'll see if they have any idea about compatibility.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by nlpamg
finally, just behind bmw....
Behind, but by all indications far better. BMW's implementation is pretty poor, more or less tricking the head unit into thinking the iPod is a CD changer. Half the point of the iPod and other hard drive-based digital music players is to be able to pick any song you want quickly and easily: the BMW way forces you to put songs into one of 6 playlists and make you remember which playlist it's in and which number.
It's kind of a shame that BMW's version is so bad, especially since the iDrive knob would make for an intuitive substitute for the iPod click wheel while driving.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Marktini
... I'm off to my dealer tp pick up my car after anoil change, i'll see if they have any idea about compatibility.
Really interested to know what's required for current C55 IPOD compatibility.

How many miles on your ride ... for the oil change? Have you had to add any oil yet? I picked up 1qt of Mobil1 0W40 and haven't had to put any in, but I only have about 900mi so far.

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 01-11-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupč
http://www.mbusa.com/main/container....iPod/index.jsp

Here's the link to the MB/Ipod site
Old 01-16-2005, 10:54 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by noka
Really interested to know what's required for current C55 IPOD compatibility.

How many miles on your ride ... for the oil change? Have you had to add any oil yet? I picked up 1qt of Mobil1 0W40 and haven't had to put any in, but I only have about 900mi so far.

Rgds,
Norm
Norm:

First, my dealer did not yet have the iPod info, apparently they've been flooded with inquiries (damn I wish I would have bought Apple stock in 2003!!) There's a FAQ section on the web-site : http://www.mbusa.com/main/container..../iPod/faqs.jsp

From the web-site " For which vehicles is the solution available?
The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will initially be available for the newly redesigned 2006 M-Class SUV. Market availability for additional Model Year 2005 and 2006 Mercedes-Benz vehicles will also follow: C-Class, CLK-Class, B-Class, E-Class, SLK-Class (vehicles equipped with COMAND system only), R-Class, CLS-Class."

2 - I brought the car in at just under 2,500 miles. I have not had any oil loss at all, the main reason I brought it in was to get the filter changed. I ususally change at 3,000 miles but I wanted it done while the weather was still decent. 4 unexpected long trips in December added about 2,000 miles more than I expected to have on the car, I could have rented, but the car is just too much fun to drive!!

Last edited by Marktini; 01-16-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Thanks for the FAQ link. Keeping my fingers crossed that the C55 will have a kit available.

... the main reason I brought it in was to get the filter changed.
Not a bad idea. It seems the oil will outlast the small filter from what I understand.

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 01-16-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:12 PM

'05 C55
Great feature....but $299 (PLUS installation?!)???

That's more than the iPod if you own a mini. I mean, it's a neat feature and all, but ~$300 for a user interface?