Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
There is no tooth ferry?
I bet next thing you'll tell me that Santa Clause is not real too
No way ... explain to me how i got my Benz.
All kidding aside you push your vehicle hard it's going to need attention more often,if you use your vehicle like the old lady from Pasedina frequent maintenance is not nesccessary.If everyone drove like bat out of hell than there might not be any traffic jams.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
I have to tell you that I mostly disagree with the comments I have read so far. My comments below actually come from classes that I took at the University of Maryland many moons ago when Synthetic Motor Oils (mainly Mobil One) were first coming out.

Are the additives used today better than traditional oils at preventing the oil's molecular structure changing to a kind of varnish....the answer is absolutely!

Are they better at their heat dissapation rates....yes! Just look at the viscousity spread 5W-60 Racing Castrol as an example as opposed to tradition 10W-40.

But I think everyone needs to remember that the combustion phase of the four stroke engine is violent with extreme temperatures naturally creating a carbonized byproduct. Basically a contolled explosion!

Dirt and impurities can remain somewhat suspended in oil, but as time goes by will and can cause frictional wear nonetheless. However, impurities at any point are still there and the longer you delay the changing of your oil, the dirtier that oil gets. 500 mile oil has less impurities than 10,000 mile oil....obviously.

Can todays synthetic oils still perform their primary function of adequate lubrication over time....the answer is yes.

But.......

Take an engine that has its oil changed every 3000 or so miles versus oil changes performed 10,000-13,000 miles and you will see a big difference.

I personally prefer getting rid of as much of the impurities as is possible, without becoming impractical.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by RobertG
If everyone drove like bat out of hell than there might not be any traffic jams.
ok everone in Los Angelse floor your cars on "3"

1..... 2....... 3 GO GO GO!!!

traffic solved....no wait the 405 still is a parking lot. shucks !!!

well i tried
Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK OK i give up you win and you completly convinced me i will change my routine of servicing my vehicles ASAP.I guess i've been schooled also feel enlightened thank you
lesson 1 : buy stock in mobil - i should see fat divident soon.
lesson 2 : my vehicles are running on their last leg - i just dont know it
lesson 3 : the oil theat drains from my oil pan is really darker and filter full of metal particles i'm just too blind to see
lesson 4 : people take thing out of context- get over it
Old 06-14-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wait a minute news flash on ch.5 reported that the cause of traffic on 405 is a broken down Benz with transmission parts scattered everywhere all because he didnt change the fluid at 30k or was it a neutral drop from 6000 rpm too much static in the reception hard to tell. Shucks i'm out of crack.

Last edited by RobertG; 06-14-2005 at 10:30 PM.