C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Oil Change. . .10K what!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 Oil Change. . .10K what!

For the first service, there is no oil change according to the manual. The first time they change the oil is at 10,000 miles. Should I wait this long or just change the oil at 5,000 miles. 10,000 seems too long to wait. Please advise.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 PM

07 CLS550 & 07 Accord
Originally Posted by mwiseltier
For the first service, there is no oil change according to the manual. The first time they change the oil is at 10,000 miles. Should I wait this long or just change the oil at 5,000 miles. 10,000 seems too long to wait. Please advise.
I have the same question as well... I'm about to hit 1,000miles and I was wondering IF i need to change oil at break in period... I've done to my previous cars...but how about for this car?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by mwiseltier
I plan on doing my 1st at 5K and every 5K thereafter with Mobil1 0W40.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
I'm going to change it when the computer tells me to change it... Why would Mercedes recommend the oil be changed every 10K miles if it would compromise the life of the engine? My take is that as long as you're using synthetics like Mobile 1, then you should change the oil in the time/mileage frame suggested by the manufacturer. BUT..... I'll be doing my first oil change early due to the break-in particles that could be floating around in this new engine...It just seems like a waste of time & money to change the oil when it's not necessary..
Eric...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by EKaru
I'm going to change it when the computer tells me to change it... Why would Mercedes recommend the oil be changed every 10K miles if it would compromise the life of the engine? My take is that as long as you're using synthetics like Mobile 1, then you should change the oil in the time/mileage frame suggested by the manufacturer. BUT..... I'll be doing my first oil change early due to the break-in particles that could be floating around in this new engine...It just seems like a waste of time & money to change the oil when it's not necessary..
Eric...
Then why do even the first one early if (as you say) MB does not recommend it? If there were any break-in particles, MB would recommend to do it early by your logic, wouldn't they?

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
My contact MB/Daimler Chrysler informed me that AMG in particular uses a special breakin weight oil. This breakin oil should be left in the motor for the full 10,000 miles or 16,000 Klm

Break it in HARD and leave the oil alone til scheduled

Just my usual 2 cents>>>>>
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM

ML350 '06
From what I just read, MB recommends the 1st oil change around 13,000 miles. I believe the reminder in your car will warn you a month in advance for this service.

***EDIT***
I guess I was thinking of the 1st recommended service is 13K, unless this is when the oil gets changed? I'll have to check my manual as I read this under the "owners online" website...

http://www.mbusa.com/owners/service/...nded/index.jsp

Either way, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything to change the oil early but I'd rather save money doing it at the recommended periods as I'll be covered by my warranty if anything happens.

Nick

Last edited by Nickerz; 01-13-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by noka
Then why do even the first one early if (as you say) MB does not recommend it? If there were any break-in particles, MB would recommend to do it early by your logic, wouldn't they?

Rgds,
Norm
lol.. I'm using my own logic on this one.... Robert Feller (my engine builder) could have pissed in the crankcase for all I know.. I'll change the oil every 10K miles and I bet that won't make any difference whatsoever..
Especially on an engine that's supposed to go 250K miles easily w/out a rebuild...
Eric...
Old 01-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by Nickerz
From what I just read, MB recommendes the 1st oil change around 13,000 miles. I believe the reminder in your car will warn you a month in advance for this service.

Either way, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything to change the oil early but I'd rather save money doing it at the recommended periods as I'll be covered by my warranty if anything happens.

Nick

Old 01-13-2005, 10:32 PM

I especially wouldnt change the break in oil early. I work in the lubricating industry and factory fills oils are specially designed and are usually very robust. You'll be fine keeping it in as recommened.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 PM

1995 SL 320
break in period

MB does testing on everything on their cars and if they say 10,000 miles then 10,000 miles is accurate.Having said that,over the years I have picked up sage advice from experts and I do it a bit differently myself.It makes me feel better about my car.I change the transmisson fluid and filter after 5000 miles,and then every 30,000 miles thereafter.I changed the engine oil and filter every 4000-4500 miles.It has been told to me that 90% of the wear and tear to the engine and transmission occurs in the first 5000 miles.After the first change,the rest are just to keep fresh lubrication available for optimal performance.I have done this on 10 different cars over the years and have yet to have a transmission problem or engine problem.For the $50 for an engine oil change and $100 for a transmission fluid and filter change,it seems like a good insurance policy,especially with the heat in Dallas,Texas

Last edited by sl3204me; 01-13-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by jtt777
I especially wouldnt change the break in oil early. I work in the lubricating industry and factory fills oils are specially designed and are usually very robust. You'll be fine keeping it in as recommened.

Advice taken... I have 3K miles on the clock and will wait until the computer tells me to service it...
Eric...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Ok I am a 3k mile person and have always been such. I drive my cars very hard regardless of how many miles they have. At 150k miles I want the car to function as it did at 5k.

My question is what magic did MB pull out of their butts to make the car go 13k between oil changes? Did something change to make the car last longer with less servicing? If so I missed the memo Several years ago the oil was changed every 7.5k miles and that was under ideal conditions. Trouble is...idea conditions involve no traffic, no stop and go driving, no trips to the store and back (under 10 miles) etc. The reality is that normal driving to all of us equals severe conditions to the motor. So going with that idea, the oil should be changed twice as often as the 7.5k intervals. Has the internal combustion changed greatly in the last 3-5 years? Has Mobil changed oil to make it last 5 times as long? I really don’t think they have.

Just took my E55k in for some work (massive oil leak and a slew of other things). Having the oil changed for the 6th time (15k miles), having the trans fluid changed (been 1 year -- this 100k bs is another crock to make the car cheaper to own...to make people happy...all bs 100% bs.), and having the diff fluid changed. The only thing keeping these cars alive is the oil.... best to chagne it.

Syn oil might make a 5k interval ok but by no means is 13k smart. The people who build them change it more often... i will follow their lead!

My question is why does MB think no service program is a smart move. Audi and BMW cover everything but MB covers nothing. Way to go guys!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 01-14-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

My question is what magic did MB pull out of their butts to make the car go 13k between oil changes? !

BMW also has the same service interval periods.. Also Eric, how long do you keep your cars..? Probably 50K miles at the most?...
Eric...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C55
My contact MB/Daimler Chrysler informed me that AMG in particular uses a special breakin weight oil. This breakin oil should be left in the motor for the full 10,000 miles or 16,000 Klm

Break it in HARD and leave the oil alone til scheduled

Just my usual 2 cents>>>>>

Totally untrue. Confimred by AMG in Germany several months ago, the factory fill is STANDARD Mobil 1 0W40 ...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Mobil 1 Synthetic more than likely will last 10,000 miles without breakdown. Here is the weak link however, the oil filter. Look at the dinky oil filter MB uses on the V8 engines. I doubt it will filter effectively for 10,000 mile periods.

Also, think about this, MB says the transmission and differential fluids are life time fills. What a crock. Nothing lasts a lifetime.

My take ... If you plan to keep the car for the long haul and past the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty, change your fluids using common sense. Don't fall for the lifetime fill BS.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by awiner
... MB says the transmission and differential fluids are life time fills. What a crock. Nothing lasts a lifetime.
They probably mean it lasts the lifetime of the transmission which is defined as "until it fails".

I wonder if dealer would change the diff/tranny fluids, since MB says not necessary. I guess if it's on our dime, they would do it.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I wonder if dealer would change the diff/tranny fluids, since MB says not necessary. I guess if it's on our dime, they would do it.
Of course they would. Actually my service advisor recommends the tranny fluid change every 30-50k and the differential fluid change every 50-60k.

He doesn't beleive in MB's change intervals too much either.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Porsche
Regardless of whether it's MB or you paying for the service, the dealership still makes the bucks.. So of course they want you to bring it in as often as possible. I just think that changing the oil at 5K mile intervals (or 1/2 the mileage the manufacturer recommends) is a waste.... If the engine is turbocharged though, then it's a different story...
Eric...
Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by awiner
Totally untrue. Confimred by AMG in Germany several months ago, the factory fill is STANDARD Mobil 1 0W40 ...
Well I know that DC and BMW (and most other car manufactures) all have special factory fill fluids that are unlike anything you can buy for service fill. THey have different treats of different components, usually factory fills are extremely well designed.

Where did you hear that its standard Mobil 1? It maybe almost exactly like mobil 1 just slighlty modified... i just find this hard to believe

Mobil 1 though is damn good stuff, it can perform amazingly well
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Well I know that DC and BMW (and most other car manufactures) all have special factory fill fluids that are unlike anything you can buy for service fill. THey have different treats of different components, usually factory fills are extremely well designed.
I owned several BMW's and they do not use a special factory fill to my knowlegde. However, I would also add that you will not find agreement on most BMW forums about it. Experts only have their opinions. BMWUSA, like MBUSA, is totally useless when it comes to technical information. It seems that BMW (and MB) likes to keep their customers in the dark about what kind of oil comes from the factory.

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 01-14-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:42 PM

It seems that BMW (and MB) likes to keep their customers in the dark about what kind of oil comes from the factory.
Rgds,
Norm
Scroll down to the very bottom of this page & tell me if you're still confused about M-B's ( AMG specifically )" First Fill " .
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by meanie
Scroll down to the very bottom of this page & tell me if you're still confused about M-B's ( AMG specifically )" First Fill " .
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Well, it is not clear what the source of this document is. I find it interesting that it lists many more "229.5" type oils than my C55 owner's manual does (at least towards the bottom it does). Somehow I doubt it is MB doc because it mentions Porsche and BMW in the first table, but I could be wrong. Is there some identification of this being a) MB documentation and b) applicable to the US?

Rgds,
Norm

Last edited by noka; 01-14-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
this thread proves that leasing makes it possible for idiots to buy MBs. back in the day, you had to have all the money to afford MBs. special break-in fluid, what moron thought that up? and who at AMG did they "talk" to? what a bunch of BS. ask any real tech and they will tell you that life trans fluid is total marketing crap. they recommend renewing the fluid at the same intervals as the old hydraulic transmissions, no question.

change the trans fluid once a year
change the diff. fluid once a year
change the engine oil every 3,000 miles

guess what, my engine is original, my trans is original and shifts firmly without slip, and my diff. is OE as well... can't argue with those results.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Where did you hear that its standard Mobil 1? It maybe almost exactly like mobil 1 just slighlty modified... i just find this hard to believe

Mobil 1 though is damn good stuff, it can perform amazingly well
Speculation on a 'special' break oil has been discussed for years here at MBworld. I had the opportunity to ask an AMG engineer in Germany some questions about a year ago. One of my questions was about the oil used. Mobil 1 0W40 is the factory fill for all AMG's. No special break in oil is used.

HOWEVER, I should have asked what kind of oil they use when they run/dyno each engine before shipment to the chassis assembly plant.

I should email AMG and ask, I still have his email.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 Oil Change. . .10K what!