Airmatic for C AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Airmatic for C AMG

Anypne votes for airmatic ( whatever you call it , automatic suspensions ) for next gen of C AMG ? The SL55 and E55 all have it, the 997S also have similar technology and it is even active like the one on SL55. That makes less pain for C AMG fans to ride on bumpy roads :p
Old 02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Anypne votes for airmatic ( whatever you call it , automatic suspensions ) for next gen of C AMG ? The SL55 and E55 all have it, the 997S also have similar technology and it is even active like the one on SL55. That makes less pain for C AMG fans to ride on bumpy roads :p
From what I recall, I don't find the C55 suspension all that much different stiffness-wise, going over bumps, etc, than my E36-M3. It was not as forgiving as regular 3-series. That's a trade-off. You want plush, don't buy AMG with a sportier suspension.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 02-05-2005, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by noka
From what I recall, I don't find the C55 suspension all that much different stiffness-wise, going over bumps, etc, than my E36-M3. It was not as forgiving as regular 3-series. That's a trade-off. You want plush, don't buy AMG with a sportier suspension.

Rgds,
Norm
Surely. I love the hard suspension of C55 which gives me safety feel
But if you have a chance to ride here in HK, you know what I mean.
If cheaper AMG cars offer alternative such as airmatic, I love to have it, provided that I do not have to pay more to go for a 997, SL55 or a E55.
Yesterday, I injected 37psi into the rear tires , and I tell you, the C55 was jumping! :p
Old 02-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmatic suspensions are an aweful idea for the C AMG. The C AMG has consistently been the value leader for AMG, which should continue. Airmatic is expensive. Airmatic is heavy. Airmatic breaks down a lot, but mechanical springs just seem to work, go figure I guess. Airmatic cannot be upgraded easily or relatively inexpensively.

The C AMG has also been AMG's viper or back to basics car, as much as mercedes will ever allow a back to basics car. It is de-technofied from the E and S AMGs. It produces the best track experience and the most direct road feel of any AMG I have driven of the latest iteration (I have driven the CL55, SL55, E55 and my C55). I have also seen videos with substantially competent drivers where the C can hang with the kompressor engines on the road courses because it carries significantly more entry, cornering, and exit speeds than the kompressor cars. The kompressor definitely owns the straights though, and so always maintains a slight lead, but it clearly does not run away from a car with probably 150 hp less and 200 lb-ft of torque less at the crank if you actually slapped these things on the same dyno under the same conditions.

I would like the C to become more aggressive and more purist, and leave the techno sportiness to the E, S, CLS, and SL. I would like to see the SLK continue to follow the same kind of innervation that the C does and the SL to get more SLK like. Less straightline and boulevardier, more nasty.

They are all great cars and all serve their purpose, no insults or offense meant.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by rguy
Airmatic suspensions are an aweful idea for the C AMG. The C AMG has consistently been the value leader for AMG, which should continue.
I think reduce the tire pressure will solve a bit of the stiff suspension problem.
I been hearing 33/37 psi is the right setting; but I prefer 33/35, is this ok?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM

33/35 should be okay, but it will increase the tire wear on the rears a bit. You should get slightly better grip off the line, slightly less understeer, and slightly softer ride. Are any of these truly noticeable or measurable? Well, the car handling balance probably would be, but I am not so sure about acceleration times and ride harshness.

If you truly want a softer suspension, replace your springs with ones that are more progressive. They will be softer at first, and just as firm or firmer at the limit. Many MB tuners sell suspensions that are more progressive. Kleemann and RENNtech are two that have been reported to do an unusually good job of softening the daily ride, but increasing at the limit handling.

Springs are cheap, that's the beauty. Keep it metal. Rock on.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 AM

33/35 should be okay, but it will increase the tire wear on the rears a bit. You should get slightly better grip off the line, slightly less understeer, and slightly softer ride. Are any of these truly noticeable or measurable? Well, the car handling balance probably would be, but I am not so sure about acceleration times and ride harshness.

If you truly want a softer suspension, replace your springs with ones that are more progressive. They will be softer at first, and just as firm or firmer at the limit. Many MB tuners sell suspensions that are more progressive. Kleemann and RENNtech are two that have been reported to do an unusually good job of softening the daily ride, but increasing at the limit handling.

I'm in total agreement with you here. I like the concept of air springs but to me they won't give you teh feel and feedback that metal springs will. I am however, for AMG using a variable rate shock absorber like Porsche and the Vette has - I think that these are useful and do not cause a severe degredation in handling ability.

I hope they keep the C55 more purist - but I think that they really need to address weight distritbution in the new car.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90

Thanks. Yes, I released the pressure 2 psi for both F/R this morning, it was very noticable on the roads I ride comparing with yesterday - much 'softer'. ( I actually suspected the gas station's airpump is incorrect, that was why I probbaly pumped in too much air the day before. Since my pressure meter might also be inaccurate, I will buy one more tire pressure meter to verify this again.) Not sure about whether changing the spring will lose the warranty or lose the value of the AMG :p
Old 02-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Cntlaw,

Car warranties should not be able to be cancelled by mercedes for changing springs. Kleemann is one company that, at least in Germany, has nearly blanket permission to replace parts without warranty problems because they keep Mercedes and AMG informed of everything they are doing. Here in the states, even if a dealer cancels warranty on a non MB part, they generally keep the rest of the warranty intact. Companies like RENNtech replace the warranty for the part and all parts that are affected by the install and use of their product.

However, you live in Hong Kong, and therefore don't follow the rules of the US or MBUSA. I strongly encourage you to double check with the dealer about Hong Kong law when it comes to altering your vehicle.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Neoprufrock,

I would kill to see progressive dampers on the next C AMG. And yes, weight distribution is a major issue with the car's handling balance. I was a little pissed when I saw the battery in the front of the vehicle. It is like they stopped trying.

The reason being, if you don't even keep the battery in its Mercedes heritage location (the warm, dry, and snuggly trunk) then what else have you given up for the sake of not buying some extra cables or lenghtening connecting parts?

One thing that would be hotter than hot, and would fix a good deal of the distribution problem would be to do a rear transaxle a la corvette and other well weight balanced vehicles. Since the transmission would be weighing down the rear axle, this would have a two pronged effect. (1) get weight off the front axle to reduce understeer. (2) simultaneously load the rear axle enhancing oversteer balance and enhancing jackrabbit quick starts off the line. I know car manufacturer's have to be careful not sell cars that have totally neutral balance because they are worried to be sued, but have me sign a waiver or something.

Lastly, thanks for the support. It is nice to know that people agree and get it too.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:42 AM

We think alike on this issue!

I agree that the whole battery thing annoyed me as well.

I really hope that AMG turns around and pursues more of a true enthusiast line - I think they're straying to too much luxury supplemented by a harsh ride and brutal power. While I like brutal power - I think that they can learn a thing or two from the M Division and throw some finesse into their engineering to get a car more tuned toward's performance driving rather than simply brutally fast luxury.

That said, I would love to see a rear transaxle to get the car more neutral. I think that setting a car up for neutrality these days is possible thanks to the traction control mechanisms in place.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the reply..

Paraphrasing AMG's original model: Balance in all things.

I believe, particularly with the kompressor cars, things have gotten out of balance. We are now getting very powerful power plants, and pretty good luxury (probably the best in the factory tuner class), but the weight distribution is way off, which causes most of the moderate understeer balance in the car.

A word of clarification of my position. I don't want AMG cars to be just like M cars. There is a reason I am not driving an M3 (more than one actually, but that is a different conversation). I would like the luxury to stay the same or improve, the ride to stay the same, but I don't want flashy body kits or chromed wheels (standard forged ones would be a big improvement though). I wouldn't mind a six-speed, but I think AMG can hold on to that as part of their heritage and something that makes them different. I wouldn't mind AMG building a clutchless manual with automatic mode that shows the world how it should be done. Lots of attempts, just haven't found one that could be categorized as a success. Or a transmission of the new Audi style where the gear changes are more of a relay baton passing than distinct gear changes.

My point is mercedes and amg have hit it out of the park with the formula as a whole, but there is lots of room for improvement in the handling balance arena. If that would be achieved, then I think AMG could be proud that it had met its mandate and vision.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb Hydraulic suspension on W203s

Mr. cntlaw:

Hydraulic suspension is avalialble for W203 C classes. Like on the other chasis, it cost extra and it is an available option. MB's EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) has all the parts listed.

I talked to Mr Sunman as why he had not done that "mod" on his W203... the answer... wayyyyy too complicated as you have to basically replace everytihng related to suspension... but probably worth if you are willing to pay the price... a super equiped C class will cost just as much as an E class will.

Wiedermann
Old 02-15-2005, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Mr. cntlaw:

Hydraulic suspension is avalialble for W203 C classes. Like on the other chasis, it cost extra and it is an available option. MB's EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) has all the parts listed.

I talked to Mr Sunman as why he had not done that "mod" on his W203... the answer... wayyyyy too complicated as you have to basically replace everytihng related to suspension... but probably worth if you are willing to pay the price... a super equiped C class will cost just as much as an E class will.

Wiedermann
Would some one steal this guys crack pipe please?

There is NO W203 with an AirMatic or ABC suspension system. Plain and simple... NONE. I have checked EPC and WIS... does not exist in any way shape or form. No, not even AMG had that feature.

If I am wrong a simple list of part numbrs from EPC could solve the issue.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 02-15-2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I don't know which EPC mario saw but as far as I remember, there are no ABC or Airmatic parts for a 203 and there never were any parts. I have catalogs from 02 and none list parts for airmatic. I don't know anyone who has ever transplanted airmatic in another car. Especially the 203 since it was never meant to have it in the first place, it would mean that you would have to use another car's suspension components which I highly doubt would fit. WIS does not list ANY documents for ABC or Airmatic on a 203 and NEVER did.

Last edited by SUNILP; 02-15-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb Airmatic?

I don't recall Airmatic beeing an option, however a hydraulic self leveling suspension was available.

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
I don't recall Airmatic beeing an option, however a hydraulic self leveling suspension was available.

Cheers

Wiedermann
MBworld.org Ambassador Wiedermann,

A self-leveling rear axle I think is an option in the European market but that is not very difficult to install. It is just a matter of a ride level sensor and a set of adjustable height shocks. People have fitted this option to W124 and W210 cars after factory production so I do not see why it would require "replacing basically everything related to the suspension."

This feature would not improve driving dynamics unless you had a stack of sand bags in your trunk.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb Hydraulics

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
MBworld.org Ambassador Wiedermann,

A self-leveling rear axle I think is an option in the European market but that is not very difficult to install. It is just a matter of a ride level sensor and a set of adjustable height shocks. People have fitted this option to W124 and W210 cars after factory production so I do not see why it would require "replacing basically everything related to the suspension."

This feature would not improve driving dynamics unless you had a stack of sand bags in your trunk.
As indicated before, I am aware of a Hydraulic suspenssion option for a W203.

My original post indicated of a Hydraulic suspenssion option available, not Airmatic.

Hydraulic suspension on W203s
Mr. cntlaw:

Wiedermann
The only person I spoke about a W203 Hydraulic suspension retrofit was Mr Sunman, his comment that was too coplicated to do is that I based my comment in my previous post. If he would not recall that conversation, I then will stand corrected and leave those whom have done the work in their cars share their experience.

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 02-15-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-15-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
i don't even see the self levelling suspension option for the 203? Where did you guys see this. EPC does not have anything??
Old 02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb W203 Self leveling suspension

Originally Posted by sunman
i don't even see the self levelling suspension option for the 203? Where did you guys see this. EPC does not have anything??
Next time I go home, I will bring all the information

Cheers

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 02-15-2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Comment correction
Old 02-15-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Mr. cntlaw:

Wiedermann
Herr Wiedermann

I like the idea of a super luxury C ;
consider we pay a fortune for a new car here,
if luxury mods can make me keep the car for 5 yrs+ , it is worth the investment. However, I would like to know if someone has done that?
Thanks for the info.

cnt
Old 02-15-2005, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb W203 Projects

Herr Wiedermann

I like the idea of a super luxury C ;
consider we pay a fortune for a new car here,
if luxury mods can make me keep the car for 5 yrs+ , it is worth the investment. However, I would like to know if someone has done that?
Thanks for the info.

cnt
Mr. cntlaw:

I have seen W203 both sedan (limousine as called in Europe) and wagons (estate as called in Europe) with that option installed at the dealer, actually both cars I saw had cloth seats and Parktronic . I think other forum members may have experience on this retrofit or know someone who has done it after they took delivery of their vehicle.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
I don't believe there is a single 203 with self levelling rear suspension in the USA. I have plenty of luxury items in my car and this is the main reason i will keep it forever. www.mercdocs.com
Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
EPC shows no self-leveling rear axle. Not even for wagon versions.

So this bs of a hydraulic suspension was exactly that.... bs...

So where is that crack pipe... we need to confiscate that thing.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb W203 Self leveling suspension

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
EPC shows no self-leveling rear axle. Not even for wagon versions.

So this bs of a hydraulic suspension was exactly that.... bs...

So where is that crack pipe... we need to confiscate that thing.
As offered before to Sunman, next time I go to Austria to visit my family, I plan to include in my visits/tasks to get and bring all the pertinent information, brochures, etc.

When I get the information I will be happy to post it on the board for everyone to see.

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 02-15-2005 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Comment correction

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic for C AMG