C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

E55 AMG's Blower.. How much bigger then C32's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Honestly Miro this is not an area of science I am very familiar with but if your past rants about cars are any basis for your true knowledge I can say you are in left field. Using your past reasoning as a basis of how you think I would not trust you to modify a 1990 Geo Metro.

Cars need ESP and NO LSD to be safe when driven at the track because LSD's are not safe

A car needs to be heavy to drive well.. over 1700 kg

A Race car should not have an aggressive rear end...

These are all your past statements when board users thought you were completely crazy so I will continue to think that maybe you are still completely crazy.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Honestly Miro this is not an area of science I am very familiar
Old 02-06-2005, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by miroj
You contribute what ? You slept at school and now you enlighten us with your domestic platitudes.
and what have you contributed, everyone hates you. wow.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Honestly Miro this is not an area of science I am very familiar with but if your past rants about cars are any basis for your true knowledge I can say you are in left field. Using your past reasoning as a basis of how you think I would not trust you to modify a 1990 Geo Metro.

Cars need ESP and NO LSD to be safe when driven at the track because LSD's are not safe

A car needs to be heavy to drive well.. over 1700 kg

A Race car should not have an aggressive rear end...

These are all your past statements when board users thought you were completely crazy so I will continue to think that maybe you are still completely crazy.
miroj said cars have to be heavy to drive well? what a bunch of crap. tell that to the guys who have to carry around rewards weight in any competitive series.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
The max RPM is not in the same range. If you truncate both performance charts to have matching plots then it becomes apparent.

You also fail to indicate whether the differences in air-flow represent significant gains in the engine over the OEM variety (justifies the cost) or where the pressure is taken ..... plenum or output chamber ? Before or after IC.
What becomes apparent? The larger SC flows more volume at the same boost pressure.

More air in the engine = more power. It is not a difficult concept.

I have said this before, but I suggest that you pick up these books on the subject:
-Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost"
-Corky Bell's book "Supercharged!"
-Hugh MacInnes' book "Turbochargers"
-A. Graham Bell's book "Forced Induction Performance Tuning"
-A. Graham Bell's book "Four-Stroke Performance Tuning"
-Earl/Diane Davis' book "Supercharging, Turbocharging, & Nitrous Oxide" Performance"
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 PM

How can anyone at a given RPM of engine performance inject more air and not increase the pressure. The chamber of the larger SC is not a factor since the plenum of the engine is fixed.

...EDIT: Unlike Eaton, the POWER CONSUMED to crank the SC is not stated.
The larger blower is considerably more adiabatically efficient in the higher parts of the flow map per Aaron's posting of the maps. Less-Temp + Same-Dynamic-Pressure = Denser-Air. Also there is a vast difference between static and dynamic pressure measurements; it's quite easy to increase airflow without increasing static fluid pressure.

Forget Boyle; think Bernoulli and Navier-Stokes ...

Also, the power consumed is shown on the maps in green lines and Kilowatts.

As has been said though, since these blowers are not interchangeable you might as well do something reaaally wild ... like a twin turbo setup. *snickers and awaits flames* :P Hugh MacInnes is rolling in his grave!

Adrian~
Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AaronC
What becomes apparent? The larger SC flows more volume at the same boost pressure.

The problem is whether the engine will accept the additional air. In a positive displacement supercharger setup the boost will merely be the result of the volume flow from the supercharger versus the volume demand of the engine. Pressure is just a result ... not a contolled variable. (Usually.)

What's really more important in this instance is the positive displacement of air per crankshaft revolution. If the larger supercharger displaces 20% more air per crankshaft revolution then 20% more air will go into the engine; that's the beauty of a positive displacement supercharging system.

Just forget about boost pressure, it will depend on VE, the airflow velocity, and sooooo much other stuff. The mass of air displaced by the supercharger per engine revolution is the mass of air going into the engine per revolution.

The only complicated part is the density of the air entering the SC, which will determine the air-mass displacement per cycle since the SC displaces a fixed volume, which does not always have a fixed mass ...

Adrian~
Old 02-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AaronC

It would seem that air mass and air pressure are the same thing in your mind.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Almost a Member!

02 Corvette Z06, 02 C32 AMG
Why are you even bringing an Eaton into this? It's probably the worst blower to start out with because of it's Outlet temps and inefficiency.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 AM

C32
It would seem that air mass and air pressure are the same thing in your mind.
Not at all. I am quite versed in these concepts, having been playing with FI cars for years.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Z: The reality of installing bigger kompressor will involve considerable amount of fabrication.

At this time single or twin turbo will be more appealing in terms of power potential. There is room for a single if some components, like secondary pump - are moved.

However, I have actually been looking into doing a remote turbo, in place of a muffler. Keep the kompressor for low end and use a fairly big turbo for that big kick on top.

As far as "miroj", just ignore him. Simply waste of time.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

02 Corvette Z06, 02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
Z: The reality of installing bigger kompressor will involve considerable amount of fabrication.

At this time single or twin turbo will be more appealing in terms of power potential. There is room for a single if some components, like secondary pump - are moved.

However, I have actually been looking into doing a remote turbo, in place of a muffler. Keep the kompressor for low end and use a fairly big turbo for that big kick on top.

As far as "miroj", just ignore him. Simply waste of time.
Agreed. I was just thinking about it so i figured i'd ask the experts. I don't want to go too radical with the C32 anyway. I don't think i would ever swap out the Positive displacement blower. The low end torque is something i enjoy very much.

A better question to ask is if you can upgrade the factory heat exchanger. The 03+ Cobra has a very nice unit good up to 500 + Horsepower that probably could be used on our cars.

Last edited by OneFastZ; 02-07-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 PM

Twin turbo definitely sounds appealing to me. Twin GT28RS, or, if you're eventually aiming for 800+ hp, twin GT3071R's would work well. *evil grin* The latter of which is a bit crazy ... and I assume no responsibility if someone actually goes that far ...

Remote turbo would be cool as heck! Just one GT35R with a HUGE exhaust side (for best top end, blower will supply low-end) and some creative plumbing ... 600 hp, baby ... and probably good drivability with the blower still in place!

Now all I need is an unlimited supply of money; anyone wanna donate? kidding!

Adrian~
Old 02-07-2005, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HEY, my positive displacement is BIGGER than yours!

This was a funny, and informational thread. I don't know what kind of person would continue to contend in the face of the presentation of so much informtation. Thanks for the book titles.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nukblazi
HEY, my positive displacement is BIGGER than yours!

This was a funny, and informational thread. I don't know what kind of person would continue to contend in the face of the presentation of so much informtation. Thanks for the book titles.
Maybe you can do us all a favour and actually read them.