Blown Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43
Blown Transmission

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my c43 transmission story. It was about a week ago that my trans on my 98 C43 went out on me, leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. It all happened in a day, it started to run funny, making an slight clanking noise and the when i shifted in reverse it didn't go, i hit the gas and it finally went. Then it progressively got worse as it kept as it was making a horrible metal noise, you could feel the trans scraping against itself. It sounded really bad, until it finally went out of gear and the engine would just rev and no go. Well thank god I bought an extended Warranty when i got the car.
Turns out the warranty company is gonna cover all the $4700 plus tax bill. I feel so lucky cuz they were trying to weasel out of it and not cover it. They had me take it from the benz dealer to a transmission shop for various reasons mainly cuz they didnt want to cover the dealer cost.
But turns out they will rebuild it with brand new parts from a benz dealer. HAHAHA, this is when it helps having a rare car, because they originally told me they will find a used C43 tranny in ok condition. which i didnt want but unforntunely its in the policy. The idiots didnt know these cars arent a dime a dozen, and you cant just find one at the local junk yard. Today I learned they had to use new parts because they could find any old parts, haha I laughed at them.

I just wanted to know from other members who have had their trannys rebuild how was the car afterwards? Could you feel a difference in the shifting? Anything i should look for when i get the car back, any help or advice will br greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGRebel
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my c43 transmission story. It was about a week ago that my trans on my 98 C43 went out on me, leaving me stranded in the middle of the road. It all happened in a day, it started to run funny, making an slight clanking noise and the when i shifted in reverse it didn't go, i hit the gas and it finally went. Then it progressively got worse as it kept as it was making a horrible metal noise, you could feel the trans scraping against itself. It sounded really bad, until it finally went out of gear and the engine would just rev and no go. Well thank god I bought an extended Warranty when i got the car.
Turns out the warranty company is gonna cover all the $4700 plus tax bill. I feel so lucky cuz they were trying to weasel out of it and not cover it. They had me take it from the benz dealer to a transmission shop for various reasons mainly cuz they didnt want to cover the dealer cost.
But turns out they will rebuild it with brand new parts from a benz dealer. HAHAHA, this is when it helps having a rare car, because they originally told me they will find a used C43 tranny in ok condition. which i didnt want but unforntunely its in the policy. The idiots didnt know these cars arent a dime a dozen, and you cant just find one at the local junk yard. Today I learned they had to use new parts because they could find any old parts, haha I laughed at them.

I just wanted to know from other members who have had their trannys rebuild how was the car afterwards? Could you feel a difference in the shifting? Anything i should look for when i get the car back, any help or advice will br greatly appreciated, thanks

My transmission was flaring and it was determine to be worn clutch pack, so the dealer replace it with a new unit.... (it was cover by Warranty company)..

After it was replace...dang..it shift quick...as it should be.. and I am happy camper

I am sure you will be glad that your tranny is bad now while you have the warranty. And I advise you to change the fluid every 45-60k depending on your driving style.

I wouldn't follow MBUSA recommendation that it is a maintenance-free and doesn't need replacing..

Regardz,

J Irwan
Old 08-11-2005, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by AMGRebel

Glad it was eventually covered. What is the name of your warranty company?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Warranty - who is it?

Yep, tell us who is the company. Mine has 85K and I say it's a matter of time. It was a formally starmark-certified vehicle. I replaced the fluid at 72K, which is when I got the car. That is total BS, that it does not need changing until 100K.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I wouldn't go for the "change it" deal. I am having mine "flushed" , there is to much old fluid that is still left in the torque converter when its "changed".
Old 08-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C43
The name of the warranty company is Extended Auto Warranty Corp. , I am surprised they covered it without much fuss. They were really being a holes about this when i first talked to them, but they eventually saw no way out of it. So i dont know if I would recommend them. But thankfully they are covering my busted transmission.

However I am still worried about how the car will run after all this is done. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 PM

1997 C36 AMG
See my response above..... you'll be happy.

Regardz,
Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Warranty Company

Thanks for the info and let us know how it runs...Yep, I had a flush and fill when I got my C43. I wanted to get everything, including the torque converter.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C43
Any owners that have had their transmissions rebuilt, how does the car drive after this? please comment, thanks