C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

2 week old C43....1st major problem!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2005 | 04:05 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
Showing my ignorance when it comes to cars here, but what exactly is the Harmonic Balancer? I am taking my car into Mercedes to have them check it over tomorrow just so I know all is well and can build a relationship wth them since I am warrantied until 1/07. I want to check this part as I have already checked and they said it was not a part of any recalls. I want to compare mine to part numbers affected.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2005 | 04:47 PM

1999 C43
I was a lucky one as well. My harmonic balancer went and I thought I had seriously messed up my car, but they could not find a scratch.

I think that the damage is caused by the belt coming off and being whipped around on everything.
Old 08-24-2005 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by VAamg
Showing my ignorance when it comes to cars here, but what exactly is the Harmonic Balancer? I am taking my car into Mercedes to have them check it over tomorrow just so I know all is well and can build a relationship wth them since I am warrantied until 1/07. I want to check this part as I have already checked and they said it was not a part of any recalls. I want to compare mine to part numbers affected.

Jeff

its yoru lower crankshaft pulley, front center of youre engine where the serpentine belt goes.
Old 08-24-2005 | 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
nitrogenbalance,
even if the HB was replaced 4 years agao they could have still replaced the part with another faulty HB as the new updated ones were not available during that time. check the PN on the HB and if the PN matches any of thses two, you still have a defective HB that could go bad. the PN that are affected are PN A112 035 00 00 or A112 035 06 00. with a flash light you should be able to easily read the PN on the HB, you might have to crank the engine a few times to get the PN to show form the top of the engine area, easy to do, worth the check. also in my opinion, the oil pan should still be covered under warranty because that is one of the items that HB messes up when it fails. i hope they dont give you the run around, any mercedes dealer shold be able to just take care of the situation without hassle, because MBUSA pays the dealer for the indicident anyways.
You are a tremendous help. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to find those #'s. From here on the hunt continues. Man this is becoming insane.
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:44 PM

2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Man, this is like a bad soap opera that you can't stop watching! Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow. Keep pushing NB, win one for us!
Old 08-25-2005 | 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
How do you locate the PN # on the HB?????

Turned the engine over a few times and couldn't see anything. I saw timing marks and thats it. I may be stupid and looking in the wrong area......

Just where exactly is the number located in reference to the crank pully???
Old 08-25-2005 | 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Found it. PN # A112 035 0900

How was this available 4 years ago........
Old 08-25-2005 | 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Found it. PN # A112 035 0900

How was this available 4 years ago........

it could have been from a different distribution center. at least we know that you do not have the defective part. I also checked my wife's c280 last night, hers went out like a year and half ago, and they also replaced hers with the non defective HB, so she's all good.

but keep pressing the dealer about your situation, they should fix the oil pan for you. actually coolcarlski was the one who found the link to the recall article, (up a few post) it has very good infromation about the recall campain. in the article, i believe i read that they will replace and repair any damage that was the cause of the defective HB at no charge and if you did pay for repairs prior to the campain that they will reimburse the owner. now how long it will take to get the reimbursement check i dont know lastly, when you called the dealer and the service advisor was not helpful, hangup and ask for some one new, tell them that the HB went out, did some damage, had the HB replaced, but they did not replace the damaged oil pan. also tell them that you can not drive the car cause of the leak, they should take you in right away.
Old 08-25-2005 | 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
just like a doctor's visit . make it sound as bad as it can be so they will listen to you.. otherwise they'll just send u home and ask u to rest
Old 08-25-2005 | 02:17 PM

also here isthe link to the recall campain

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pix/SC2005020003.pdf
Old 08-25-2005 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
also here isthe link to the recall campain

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/pix/SC2005020003.pdf
Presented my case to both the MB dealer and the Bentley dealer which I bought the car from. I bought the car out of Chicago and I'm in NH which presents another problem. The MB dealer left me with "I'll have to contact my regional manager". She is tired of hearing from me and she knows I'm not going away so I'll be sure to hear back from them soon.

The Bentley dealer was surprised to hear this but was understanding and has also told me they will call me back. I faxed them everything pertaining to this matter......I do feel that it is MB's issue and not so much the Bentley dealer. However, either one should fix it in the end..

I printed the campaign bulletin(thanks for that) and will present that if I should not get an answer in my favor. Thanks again for helping out guys!!

.....To be continued.....up next at the top of the hour, your evening news.
Old 08-25-2005 | 03:41 PM

'95 S500C, '96 C36, '86 190E, '72 280SEL
Let me guess, Luxury Motors? Good luck!
Old 08-25-2005 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by stox
Let me guess, Luxury Motors? Good luck!
Yup.........

Bad experience????
Old 08-26-2005 | 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
MB seems to think that because the repair was done over 3 years ago that the issue should have been brought up sooner. They seem to believe that the car couldn't have gone 3 + years with a leak. Yet they argree that the initial damage from the pulley caused the leak.....

So the service manager thinks that the blame goes to the MB dealer out in Chicago and it was a case of "poor judgement" on the integrity of the oil pan after the initial hit. All I can get from what dealer performed the work is a dealer code : 75565 which tells me nothing about where and who did it.

The service bulletin reads "only when a issue arises from a faulty HB should the customer be serviced without a letter". I defenitly have a isse arising from a faulty HB.

What do you guys think?? I'm still waiting on the dealer who sold me the car and what they have to say. It was a Bentley dealer and not an MB.
Old 08-26-2005 | 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
MB seems to think that because the repair was done over 3 years ago that the issue should have been brought up sooner. They seem to believe that the car couldn't have gone 3 + years with a leak. Yet they argree that the initial damage from the pulley caused the leak.....

So the service manager thinks that the blame goes to the MB dealer out in Chicago and it was a case of "poor judgement" on the integrity of the oil pan after the initial hit. All I can get from what dealer performed the work is a dealer code : 75565 which tells me nothing about where and who did it.

The service bulletin reads "only when a issue arises from a faulty HB should the customer be serviced without a letter". I defenitly have a isse arising from a faulty HB.

What do you guys think?? I'm still waiting on the dealer who sold me the car and what they have to say. It was a Bentley dealer and not an MB.
no matter the dealer,Mercedes Benz still is responsible and has to cover it unless they want to be taken to small claims or civil court and have you complain to the Bureau that issues these recalls.these folks are ridiculous!These stupid dealers need to understand that they represent the Company (Mercedes Benz), and that they need to stop acting like they personnally made the damn car.it should not matter whether you bought the car in Tanzania for that matter,any MB dealer is supposed to handle the issue regardless.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-26-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2005 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Well....I have contacted 2 other dealers in my area. They were much more polite but left me with the answer of "contact MB directly"...nice dodge.

So I spoke with MBUSA today and they tell me that it is a service manager decision. Stating that it is up to the dealer if they want to assist and fix this issue. This basically = pay up, as no dealer is going to pay for this if they don't have too.

I have contacted a lawyer in the area about this matter but haven't heard anything back yet. It still seems plain as day to me that "their bad part caused this" so WTF...

Anyone know of a good dealer or small claims lawyer in the Boston area???

I really don't want to pay for this...
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:27 PM

hey nitro, i feel for you bro. in reading some of your post above, you mentioned that you purchased this car from the Bently dealer. yes its true that its really an MB issue, but in reality the Bently dealer should be the one taking care of you, why because they ultimately was the dealer that sold you the car. bently should either eat the cost, or they should be the one getting in touch with the MB to work somehting out, technically you shouldn't have to be the one to burden the stress, nor the cost. now, bently will try to sweet talk their way out of it, because i'm sure that they know that it is also their problem because they sold the car without any disclosure to the problem. if the bently dealer doesn't want to do anything for you, you will want to take claim with the bently, or flat out ask for your full refund. ask your lawyer about that and make sure to document every conversation you has thus far with bently, mb dealer and also mbusa. write down whom you spoke with, dates all that, it will help your lawyer build a stronger case.

Last edited by linuxfoo; 09-01-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:41 PM

'95 S500C, '96 C36, '86 190E, '72 280SEL
Let me guess, you bought the car from Luxury Motors. It seems that every time I hear of someone buying a car from them, there is a problem. They were recently investigated by the DA, but nothing seems to have come of it. I can't put my finger on it, but something just smells about that operation.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:00 PM

I just took mine in to have it checked to see if I can get it (HB) repaired... no problems.

Of course they did point out that I need a new engine mount, a new cat back, new suspension bushings, and my head gasket is leaking. Good thing I got a 3000 mile warranty. I have 1 month to get the repairs before the warranty runs out.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by keynote22
I just took mine in to have it checked to see if I can get it (HB) repaired... no problems.

Of course they did point out that I need a new engine mount, a new cat back, new suspension bushings, and my head gasket is leaking. Good thing I got a 3000 mile warranty. I have 1 month to get the repairs before the warranty runs out.
How many miles do you have on the clock ?
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:26 PM

78k 1998 c43. The warranty was the ebay "buy it now" freebe option. So far they seem pretty easy to work with.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I have my vehicle having the HB recall being looked at today.Thanks for the heads up about the engine mounts.
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:25 PM

I cant unerstand why the dealership would not honor the HB Recall. This would be a MW corp warranty issue. The dealership would get top dollar from MB for the work. It's not like they would be out anything... in fact they would likely get more as there would be a set hourly rate for the job. My dealership said they love doing this recall as they have the job down to 1 hour our since they have done so many.
Old 09-03-2005 | 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I told Silver Star mercedes about the recall yesterday and they said "no problem" bring the car in Tuesday after labour day and "we are well aware of the recall". Those *** holes are feeding You alot of BS redtape nitro. They are all aware of the recall.

PS.I would make a copy of this thread and mail it Mercedes USA. Take it to the dealer as well.make a real stink about it and please do not lay out any $$.That would be a big mistake!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 09-03-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2005 | 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
I told Silver Star mercedes about the recall yesterday and they said "no problem" bring the car in Tuesday after labour day and "we are well aware of the recall". Those *** holes are feeding You alot of BS redtape nitro. They are all aware of the recall.

PS.I would make a copy of this thread and mail it Mercedes USA. Take it to the dealer as well.make a real stink about it and please do not lay out any $$.That would be a big mistake!
Oh they know about the recall, it was done on my vehicle about 3.5 years ago. The fuss with this is that they think the oil pan should have been fixed at the time of the recall. Since the MB dealer saw the pan as "ok" during the recall repair it was left. Now that the part failed 3.5 years later they think it is not their problem. I'm still on this....but man would I love avoiding a legal battle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 week old C43....1st major problem!!