C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2006 | 05:49 AM
Banned

hi i'm a new member on this forum,i live in europe in scandinavia.i own a C43 AMG 1999.i really love the car but i don't like the weird shifting i have on the transmission when i drive in D-mode.this is what happens= from standing still when i floor the gaspedal 1st.gear works great,when changing automaticlly to 2nd. gear the car looses speed and hezitates to change to the2nd. gear,when i let of the gas pedal slightly the 2nd. gear comes,and the rest of the gears 3,4,5 changes perfectly. what's the problem with 2nd.gear=? the car runs perfectly otherwise. it's like new with only 70,000km on the clock.
is it the crappy MAS **** or what=?can u tell me what's wrong=?
do i need to uppgrade the software on the transmission, the battery died last time when the car was at the shop and they had to decode my hifisystem,windows,sunroof but they didn't program it with star computer.

have another question.

climate system looses graphics on the window it only happens sometimes.when i tap on the glass everything comes back and works great. can something be done to fix this,i do'nt want to buy new one from the bloodsucking stealership.
Old 02-01-2006 | 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by kowalski
climate system looses graphics on the window it only happens sometimes.when i tap on the glass everything comes back and works great. can something be done to fix this,i do'nt want to buy new one from the bloodsucking stealership.
I dunno about what else you can do....I just replaced mine when that started happening. Anyhow, welcome aboard!
Old 02-01-2006 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
welcome to the boards.

there was a recall of some sorts on the c43 tranny wasn't there?
Old 02-01-2006 | 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by steve s
there was a recall of some sorts on the c43 tranny wasn't there?
No recall to date.Just issues with "lifetime fill".Get the tranny FLUSHED every 30K and you're good to go!
Old 02-01-2006 | 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
oh, maybe it needs one of those remaps on this page
Old 02-01-2006 | 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by steve s
oh, maybe it needs one of those remaps on this page
Interesting.When we had the Norteast AMGFest in October at MBHQ they had their tranny guy there, I can't remeber his name.I specifically asked him about any new software or programming etc. for our cars (C43) due to the transmission issues.He stated that there is no new programming or software or anything other than the original program that is available from MB.
Old 02-01-2006 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
hi i'm a new member on this forum,i live in europe in scandinavia.i own a C43 AMG 1999.i really love the car but i don't like the weird shifting i have on the transmission when i drive in D-mode.this is what happens= from standing still when i floor the gaspedal 1st.gear works great,when changing automaticlly to 2nd. gear the car looses speed and hezitates to change to the2nd. gear,when i let of the gas pedal slightly the 2nd. gear comes,and the rest of the gears 3,4,5 changes perfectly. what's the problem with 2nd.gear=? the car runs perfectly otherwise. it's like new with only 70,000km on the clock.
is it the crappy MAS **** or what=?can u tell me what's wrong=?
do i need to uppgrade the software on the transmission, the battery died last time when the car was at the shop and they had to decode my hifisystem,windows,sunroof but they didn't program it with star computer.

have another question.

I would definitely change the MAF.Yes it will cause the tranny to shift weird when they are on their way out.it's also cheaper and good maintenance to do vs having someone telliing you your tranny is bad.Bad MAF is a common issue with MB's.And yes,change and or flush your tranny fluid as well.As far as the climate contol display.mine only gets affected when it's very cold outside,once car warms up all characters come clear.When I drive the car everyday ,i don't seem to have the missing or foggy looking character display,go figure

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2006 | 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C43AMG
No recall to date.Just issues with "lifetime fill".Get the tranny FLUSHED every 30K and you're good to go!
Thank u all for answering my questions. I did the oilchange on my benz at the stealership,i guess it did help the tranny work smoother when shifting gears.
but when i'm driving and the tranny changing gears in D-MODE from stand still and i step on the gaspedal to hard,changing from 1st to 2nd gear the tranny gets weird and i loose speed.maybe the qure is not to step to hard on the gaspedal and the car changes gears without problems,i've tried this and it worked,this forum is great.

about the climate control. on saab cars here in schweden the new ones had problems with their lcd-panels for their climate and audio system loosing graphics,they had replacing parts at discount prices,that means return the damaged one get the new one cheaper. that will never happen to a mercedes.
cheers to ya all.
Old 02-03-2006 | 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Thank u all for answering my questions. I did the oilchange on my benz at the stealership,i guess it did help the tranny work smoother when shifting gears.
but when i'm driving and the tranny changing gears in D-MODE from stand still and i step on the gaspedal to hard,changing from 1st to 2nd gear the tranny gets weird and i loose speed.maybe the qure is not to step to hard on the gaspedal and the car changes gears without problems,i've tried this and it worked,this forum is great.
Bro chng the MAF, get back to us and I guarantee you'll be a new person!If it has not been done it needs changing!Trust us!
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Bro chng the MAF, get back to us and I guarantee you'll be a new person!If it has not been done it needs changing!Trust us!
hey mr coolcarski, about the mas sensor,when my car was brand new the mascrap was changed at 2200 kilometers how much that is in miles idont know,the car now have on it's clock 70,000kilometers,do u think the mas crap is going out=? am i going to have another type of car after i changed it=?
Old 02-06-2006 | 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
hey mr coolcarski, about the mas sensor,when my car was brand new the mascrap was changed at 2200 kilometers how much that is in miles idont know,the car now have on it's clock 70,000kilometers,do u think the mas crap is going out=? am i going to have another type of car after i changed it=?
It's a possibility - on mine the CEL (check engine light) illuminated. All the symptoms you're describing sound like it's a possibility your MAF is faulty.
Old 02-07-2006 | 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StapleGun
It's a possibility - on mine the CEL (check engine light) illuminated. All the symptoms you're describing sound like it's a possibility your MAF is faulty.

heya buddy, everybody talks about the (CEL) where is it located on the dashboard which warning-light? in that case euro C43 don't have the check engine light1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can anyone post a picture of the CEL located on dashboard thanks.

i have also heard that if the mas is out u can destroy the cats if u drive (hard) with the car, the fuel is going to drain the cats and burn the ceramic inside the cats is this true?
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

things with and without wheels
The catalytic converters will get damaged if they get loaded up with too much fuel ,weather burned or unburned,ther is more inside the cats then just ceramics ( Platinum and Paladium)