Second bulb in low beam reflector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43, 96 328is, Focus ZX5
Second bulb in low beam reflector

Sup guys! I was just changing my low beam bulb and I noticed that there is another bulb right under it. I never seen it light up but its connected with two wires so that must mean that it's functional. In the manual it says that the bulb is a fog light wtf?? I got fogs in the bumper. I am confused can somebody clear that up for me. Thanks.

p.s. I have no HID's
Old 03-06-2006, 12:16 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
Not sure this is related, but maybe while we are talkign lights someone can answer this one for me. On our cars we have I think the manual calls them curb lights and either one side or the other of the car will light up the signals. What the hell are these for? Am I supposed to use the ones on the side that the curb is on, or the opposite? Is this the extra bulb he is referring too?

Also, I know there is a fog light on the rear of the car that is just a single bulb that illuminates when you pull the fog switch out two notches, is there a mirror of this on the front you have found?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Well you cant really see it from the out side but from behing the headlight you can see a fog light light bubl stuck right under the low beam bulb. There must be a way to turn it on. I actually seen a photo of somebodys benz on the forum with just the lower portion of the low beam being on. It looks real cool but how do you activate them??
Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
I think those are "city" lights versus DRL aka daytime running lights...a low wattage bulb lights up akin to parking lights. My old 911 SC had euro-spec lights and had a small lamp in the housing too.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by C43ing
Well you cant really see it from the out side but from behing the headlight you can see a fog light light bubl stuck right under the low beam bulb. There must be a way to turn it on. I actually seen a photo of somebodys benz on the forum with just the lower portion of the low beam being on. It looks real cool but how do you activate them??
I know that lamp illuminate's on my gf's 00' C230K - turn the light switch knob 1 position to the right and pull out.This is the same lamp that illuminates when you lock the car.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Almost a Member!

I did that and only the bumper fogs turn on and parking lights. I am confused. Grrr....
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by C43ing
I did that and only the bumper fogs turn on and parking lights. I am confused. Grrr....
Only works on the C230K - no foglights in bumper !
Old 03-06-2006, 02:49 PM

1999 C43
These are Park lights. Also safety lights when you leave the signal on before you park. You gotta turn signal to right or left before you turn the engine off. It is for visiuality when you park it on the curb. This way you can pick the one which side of car is visible to traffic depend on where you park. I know it is confusing, but I drove Benzes before, thats what they are for.

Thank you
Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Isn't that fuction only to work with the parking lights. That works by turning the light swith to the left one or two clicks. The manual illustrates that the bulb is a "fog light". The original owner even put a hyper blue in there. I think I am going to check my fuses next.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
Originally Posted by VAamg
Not sure this is related, but maybe while we are talkign lights someone can answer this one for me. On our cars we have I think the manual calls them curb lights and either one side or the other of the car will light up the signals. What the hell are these for? Am I supposed to use the ones on the side that the curb is on, or the opposite? Is this the extra bulb he is referring too?
that is the afore mentioned parking lights. from what i gathered, it is relevant in europe. u parallel park. and whichever side the curb is, u turn on the bulb on the other side. i believe the switch for this is by turning the light switch counterclockwise, and has those two sets with two opposing arrows.

Originally Posted by VAamg
Also, I know there is a fog light on the rear of the car that is just a single bulb that illuminates when you pull the fog switch out two notches, is there a mirror of this on the front you have found?
mirror on the front?

there should be a noticeable difference in the fog lights. when u turn on the normal headlights, there is two options available. pull one notch, and u get this pattern that illuminates just a few feet in front of the car, lighting up the ground, and the bulb comes from the highbeam area. this will not result in the rear fog light coming on. i use this in the city all the time, very useful for lighting up potholes. perhaps the c43 has been relocated to the low beam area. u should try pulling the light switch up and out.

then there is pulling the light switch to the second notch. this will light up the rear fog light (which is only on one side). the fronts that used to light up with the one notch will shut off, and the fogs located at the corner of the front air damn (which normal non amg front skirts normally don't have) turn on, and they are true fog lights, where they start low and have a long projection that point slightly upward. they work great in fog.

this is what came standard on the c36.

Last edited by steve s; 03-06-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 AM

1998 C43, White over two tone
Mine work a little differently, one notch lights up the front fogs, in the lower air dam, and two notches light up the fronts and the rear single fog light. My car does have the HID lights so it might be different from a standard Halogen application.