C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

High C36 engine temps SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C36 AMG, 02 SLK320, 06 Accord V6, 08 BMW 335i
High C36 engine temps SOLVED!

Ever since I got my C36 I had been concerned about the high engine temperatures that I normally experience, which ranged from 95C to 110C. Once, It even went up to more than 115C, when I met with heavy traffic afer a hard run.

While I have read many times on this and at other forums that it is normal for MB's to reach even 120C, I am not really comfortable seeing the needle so close to the red mark. I have experienced many warped heads and blown gaskets due to overheating on my other cars, and performance suffers as the temps go up.

I am sure that there are many here who share my preference for lower engine temps.

First thing I did was to install a manually-controlled relay that turns on my AUX FANS at stage 2 (high). This is my insurance policy since this relay is fed directly off a solid +12VDC source.

Next, changed the coolant with genuine MB stuff, mixed 55/45, and made sure my system holds pressure. It does, no problem.

I then installed a BEHR 71C thermostat. While this solved the high temps, I found that the engine took too long to reach even 80C, and that at speed the temp drops to 70C! This is bad since it accelerates engine wear and the fuel mixture is set to rich so I re-installed the old but functional BEHR 87C thermostat.

Still the temps were high. I next replaced the functional OEM viscous fan clutch with a SACHS tropical version. Sucess! Now temps ranges from 85-90C in traffic or freeway, motor feels more powerful, and I can relax knowing I am far away from the red zone.

This tropicalized unit has a lower lock-in setting than the standard clutch. I notice that at 90C gauge temp the tropical clutch is locked whereas my old OEM still freewheels at 105C!

SACHS Lufterkupplung #2100 006 243. made in der Vaterland

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
interesting...

i do notice that on our 96 c36, the fan goes on like crazy whenever it gets hot outside (85+ F) and if not running above 30 mph (like city stop and go) the temp gauge gets awfully high...the fan is sooooo noisy my aunt was like, "dude, what's wrong with ur car man?"