C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Questions on C43s from a new owner. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43
Questions on C43s from a new owner. Help!

First off, this is my first merc, and one magnificient machine. Love it. But being a bit of a newbie to this car, I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer.

First, on the brakes: As it is now, the brakes don't engage until I've pushed the pedal down about an inch or two. Is that normal?
Also, I seem to get a very large amount of brake dust on the front wheels, and almost none on the back. Normal?

Second, the trans seems to hunt around alot when I hit the gas, trying to find the right gear to downshift into. When the car is cold, it doesn't seem to want to upshift when you think it should. Seems odd...

Finally, the power band. If I do a part to 3/4 throttle hit, the car seems to have a turbo boost type feeling after 4k rpm. It really starts to sing, like someone pushed the nitrious button.

Hopefully, some experienced owners can help me out with my questions. It's a '98 C43 with 51k miles.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-15-2002, 12:20 AM

Mercedes C43 AMG
Hi Typhoon,

Congrats on your car! I have a 98 C43 too. My car sounds exactly like what you described. The brake travel is quite long but I like it that way; it's easier for me to trail brake. There is a lot of brake dust. Some people changed to some aftermarket pads which is supposed to reduce the brake dust.

My tranny doesn't to hunt though, probably you should like the car warm up before step on it.

Yes, it does feel like there is a lag, like nothing will happen until the 1st few thousand rpms. You just have to modulate the throttle properly and it will be fine. I have been hearing that the early C43s have some kind of glitch with the program. Some people got their tranny reprogrammed and the shifting improved. I don't think there is a problem though. You might want to reset your tranny program by switching to the W mode and back S (while in Park).

Right now I am thinking of modding my car to get even more power. Let me know if you have more questions.

Baron
Old 06-16-2002, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
we have a 96 c36. the tranny is 4 speed, so may be slightly different. but, it does stay in gear longer when it's cold. especially when u're really light on the gas..the tranny will not upshift. during normal ops, i sometimes downshift the tranny myself. it's quicker than letting the computer decide what it wants to do...like when the computer is adaptive and has decided u'r light footed, and then all of the sudden u need the power.

as for the brakes...the c36 had the fronts lifted from the sl600 (12.6 in with 4-pot), rear from e430. they are a little soft, by german standards. they do seem to travel longer to really grasp the discs, especially compared to the 4-pot brembos i have on my volvo.

gotta lov ur 8 cylinders and 5 sp auto.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:58 PM

C43 AMG and 911 Type 993
Congrats on your C43! I have a 98 C43 myself.

As far as the brakes go, mine do the same. They go down significantly before they engage. I took it to the dealer and had the brakes bled and it helped a little bit - but not much. They mentioned that the compressibilty of brake fluid could increase over time (remember thermodynamics? ) and increase the brake pedal travel. Just take it in and see what they say.

However, it still stops on a dime!

Gear-hunting issue: I noticed that too. Most noticibly when gunning it while moving on the highway, say, 50mph+. I manually shift it instead. No upshifting problems.

Enjoy your AMG! Remember, the C43 is the only C-class with a V8.

bling!bling!
Old 07-04-2002, 04:41 PM

1998 C43 AMG
Cleaning off brake dust...

I've found a brush with long, soft bristles will clear the brake dust off the visible portions of the wheel in no time. Works for me on both my cars as long as the wheel (and brush) are dry.

I do recommend wearing a mask when you do this though, not to mention clothes you don't mind getting grungy.

Actually, my C43 is relatively tame about brake dust compared to my BMW M-Coupe, in spite of the extra weight. Then again, I don't drive the C43 the way I drive the BMW...

David
Old 07-12-2002, 02:48 AM

The power you get at 4,000 rpm is when the car is hitting it peak power or when the cam is doing its best work. All cars have some sort of powerband. If you dynoed your car you would see when it happens and when it stops.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Congrats,

Ok, on my 1999 C43 it has very sensitive brakes. They engage immediately. There is no travel what so ever before they start to lock up. My car stops on a dime.

There is also no searching for gears. My car downshifts very quickly. Much faster than any human can downshift. When I race people on the fwy I always get the jump on them. Hehe. The only thing it does is hold a gear. It does this a lot when I slow down quickly.

When it is cold I dont ever punch the car so I cant tell you what it does. I always wait for it to fully warm up before I floor it. I heard if you dont it can damage your tranny.

For power I have full power right off the line. There is no lag. In my 1995 C36 there was a delay. On the C43 it is instant. I have heard from many people that my C43 is unique and is faster. My gear shifts are faster and I seem to be able to go a bit faster. Im going to test my car against a modified C43 and see if I can keep up. If I beat him then I know for sure my car is good.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:30 AM

2004 E320
If you want better Brake feel than stainless steel brake lines w/ Motul Brake fluid is what you need! They won't let the fluid expand and is well worth the $75 to buy and they look cool 2 :p

I have a ? for every C43 owner PLEASE! I plan on buying a C43 myself and I'm wondering if anyone has had any major probs. at all because I plan on keeping it 4 awhile and using it as a daily driver??? Is this wise??? YOUR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Hey BrabusCClass were you at the Long Beach HIN in April? Your C240 is amazingly perfect!!! I took many pics of your carbon fiber splitter and if that was U, you were really nice 2

Last edited by BFOR3; 07-19-2002 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 c43 w/lots of mods
you need to take the car to the dealer and get the tranny reprogrammed, it helps alot
edit- i may be selling my white 1999 c43 i have 18" brabus wheels, lowered on eibach, bilstien shocks, 2 tone interior evosport underdrive pulleys, evosport intake manifold, high flow exhaust, avantgade grill, flat badges and a few other things its in great condition with 49k miles and warranty till 2007 or 100k miles e-mail me if interested, thanks

Last edited by eurorides420; 07-27-2002 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:48 PM

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic P2 Pano
In response to your car not shifting when its cold, its programmed that way to bring your engine up to operating temperatures faster and reduce emissions. As for the other problems I cant say my pedal was soft too but I switched to porterfield brakes and SS hoses and it solved that problem.

94 E320 with mods!!