C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Harmonic Balancer Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 E55
Harmonic Balancer Question

I just bought a '98 C43 last week. The previous owner told me that the harmonic balancer had been replaced, but I just learned that the belt had broken and had damaged the oil pan. He says that the dealer reaplaced the HB as well as the oil pan.

My question is whether this affects the reliability or longevity of the engine since it has been through this ordeal. The car runs smooth and strong, but I am just a little worried about it now.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43, 96 328is, Focus ZX5
I had mine done too by the previous owner. Car runs stong with out any problems. And yes I do drive hard sometimes. I dont think you should worry too much.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Chances are that if the belt had broken off "in flight", so to speak, the car could not have been driven too far at all. That being said, I would double check however, that none of the ancillary components in that area have not sustained damage that could compromise their reliable operation, i.e. water hoses, electrical wires, alternator, etc...
Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Same story with mine that I bought last summer. Only difference is that the tards at dealership didn't fix the damaged oil pan along with the HB.

I fought with them about replacing damaged parts caused by a recalled part....."it was a judgement call at the time the pan wasn't leaking" is what I was left with. I had it fixed by my ind. mech.

Last time I go near a dealership as the upper oil pan looked like someone beat it with a hammer.....judgement call??? My four year old niece could tell it would leak...

Anyways...to keep on topic I would do as staple said. Just look around the area to see damage. Other than that the car shouldn't have undergone further damage. I think.