Here's the link for the cold air intake guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Here's the link for the cold air intake guys

I discussed this with the fellas at AMG fest I think it's an effective CAI setup.here's the link

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/158832-pics-my-cold-air-intake-w210-e55.html
Old 08-27-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Thanx for the link !
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Why not continue the pipe downward behind the headlamp and through the frame/bumper? It would place the filter right behind the foglight. Then maybe wrap the entire intake piping with that black thermo header wrap. I would think cold fresh air would be easier to find there than within the engine compartment.

My current setup has the filter wedged behind the headlamp. I soon will be routing the pipe/filter down behind the foglamp also. Also, thinking about trying amsoil's paper filter....anyone have any coments on them??? Not digging the oiled filters lately and have heard good things about the amsoil products?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would be REAL careful about routing the CAI down to foglamp level.My concern would be in rainy weather drawing ANY moisture past the filter into the engine and # 2 in snowy,slushy weather having the filter ice up and restricting air flow.I agree with the thermo wrapping the intake piping, but remember the cold fresh air you are looking for is naturally achieved by the car moving forward - the cold air is sucked in ahead of the headers.I think heat would only become a issue while idling.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 PM

02 c32 89 300e 99 c43(sold)
i think renntec, amg would have come up with that along time ago if it worked
come on its a mercedes-benz not a civic!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by C43AMG
I would be REAL careful about routing the CAI down to foglamp level.My concern would be in rainy weather drawing ANY moisture past the filter into the engine and # 2 in snowy,slushy weather having the filter ice up and restricting air flow.I agree with the thermo wrapping the intake piping, but remember the cold fresh air you are looking for is naturally achieved by the car moving forward - the cold air is sucked in ahead of the headers.I think heat would only become a issue while idling.
As far as your concern about restricting air flow, if you look at my cold air that I built for my 98 C230

http://club202.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=8601

you will see that I have something called an AEM bypass valve, which means that if my front were ever to be submerged in water for whatever reason, my car can still breathe and not have any detrimental effects...you might want to look into that.

Last edited by OCKlasse; 08-29-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
As far as your concern about restricting air flow, if you look at my cold air that I built for my 98 C230

http://club202.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=8601

you will see that I have something called an AEM bypass valve, which means that if my front were ever to be submerged in water for whatever reason, my car can still breath and not have any detrimental effects...you might want to look into that.
Nice work.Not to start a pissing contest but here are the facts - it costs about $35,000.00 dollars for a new replacment C43 engine from Affalterbach or about $9k for a 5.5 transplant.If I am going to modify the air intake on my motor I am at least going to have it at the same level as the original to take as much rain/moisture out of equation as as possible.Again nice work!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Hmmm.... My car rarely sees rain and gets put away during the winter. Its 90% dry all the time. I was also measuring a few things yesterday and the bottom of the filter would be at the top edge of the foglight. So to completely submerge my filter I would have to swim my car up to the top of it's bumper to sink it. I would never let that happen.

I'm currently kinda ok with this for a few reasons. I will fab a small thin aluminum sheild away from the filter covering areas within the bumper that might create rain/debres and maybe direct airflow within. Also, the air stream must cross through my blower immediatly which changes alot of things. The blower has these two screw type rotors that are tight together and are always spinning creating alot of heat. In the event that a little water got sucked up it would quickly steam off the second it hits the blower rotors, like flicking water into a pan.

I have very little options with my current setup. I think that keeping it in the upper part of the bumper "should" be plenty safe for me. The older kit design and one's used on the E55 have the filter right behind the fog light. My current setup is strange as you can see below. Not sure if it's the best setup for the air filter.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1155179786
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM

thats ugly. ghetto rigged
Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
Not sure which one that comment was in reference too, but if its' Nitro's I'd challenge you to find a better solution after stuff an SC under the hood. There just isn't a lot of open space left. I've been wondering about that myself as I continue to ponder a first gen HPS. Maybe it makes sense to also add a CF hood and run some kind of intake from there
Old 08-31-2006, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
well.. yeah, it is a little ghetto.. but if it works, all the more power to him (e55 guy)

would've been nice to see how well it works with some b4 and after dyno numbers. and/or maybe even at a track. rather than butt dyno. some of the other tests i have seen all seem to lose a little power when stock intake and cai are exchanged on the same car in the same session..
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
[QUOTE=steve s]well.. yeah, it is a little ghetto.. but if it works, all the more power to him (e55 guy)
[QUOTE]

Yeah, the E55 setup does look a little ghetto. Not sure I'd go that route if it were mine. In fact I'm tinkering with dropping my old C43 intake onto the E430. I looked at some of the CAI options, but the only one that seemed like it would work at all was the GruppeM intake, but I think the stock AMG intake would actually work as well, if not better, and certainly looks cleaner.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=SDR][QUOTE=steve s]well.. yeah, it is a little ghetto.. but if it works, all the more power to him (e55 guy)

Yeah, the E55 setup does look a little ghetto. Not sure I'd go that route if it were mine. In fact I'm tinkering with dropping my old C43 intake onto the E430. I looked at some of the CAI options, but the only one that seemed like it would work at all was the GruppeM intake, but I think the stock AMG intake would actually work as well, if not better, and certainly looks cleaner.
If you put the C43 setup on the E430,PM me I have some E55 hoses for it brand new I'd sell you.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 PM

would the sl500 twin spark engine air filter housing be a upgradE?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBHustla858
would the sl500 twin spark engine air filter housing be a upgradE?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by MBHustla858
thats ugly. ghetto rigged
Coming from an individual who calls himself mbhustla858.....you would know first hand what ghetto is.

i think renntec, amg would have come up with that along time ago if it worked
come on its a mercedes-benz not a civic!!!
benztec, the next time you are at work...Jiffy Lube...and you come across a Amg intake; take it off and look at it. Please note by my picture that the protective screen is TOUCHING the top of the intake wall. Nah, no room for improvement there. Please also note that the large surface area (pancake) intake HOLDS ALL OF THE ENGINE HEAT by covering the manifold.

Why has no one else thought of this? They have. But it is hard to justify $1700.00 for a tube and filter. Renntech changed the area of the box with the most restriction.....the mouth/screen area.

Please also note that once you change the air filters, the amount of circulating sand and dirt that remains in the intake. All that is left is the heavy particles....of course after the engine has repeat opportunites to SUCK the smaller particles in.Thank you "ram air"

Last edited by amgdriven; 02-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 AM

1999 C43
So, i saw what it is, i would love to know....
  1. Is there a proven performance gain?
  2. If yes, what is it?
  3. Since AMG builders did not put there in first place, how do you know that it WON"T hurt the engine?
Thank you
Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by Vardar
So, i saw what it is, i would love to know....
  1. Is there a proven performance gain?
  2. If yes, what is it?
  3. Since AMG builders did not put there in first place, how do you know that it WON"T hurt the engine?
Thank you

1) I will dyno it before Christmas. The tires brake loose a LOT more now. I don't trust Butt Dynos.....the awesome sound of the intake might make you feel like you are going faster. That is why I keep using the traction light flickering as an excuse for a gain in power. (I have new 295/30/18 on the rear wheels)

2) Man, just guessing here. 15hp? Maybe? I think there is more of an improvement in torque, to be honest with you. My ECU choked when I put this on. The engine didn't know if it was coming or going. Every gear would tag the rev limiter and sometimes didn't know when it should shift......@100 miles corrected that. No doubt a LOT more air is flowing.Please also note, my set-up has two cold air vents leading to my filter and it is seperated from engine heat when the hood is closed.

3) No factory car comes with an open intake. A little more risk is involved.....like....the filter needs to be changed every 7,500-10,000 miles and you are at some of a risk of sucking in water if the front of your vehicle is submerged. If you live in a area known for consistant rain, forget it. By default...you will saturate the filter by constant moisture.

P.S. Remove the the intake on your car and wipe the inside rim of the MAF and notice the dirt/dust.The intake never felt "snug" on the MAF....it just "fits" on top of it. I like things bolted and secured. As a piece of mind, I feel a little more secure with my set-up. Everything is right there. I'm a little compulsive.....so I check it almost everytime I drive.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM

1999 C43
Thank you sir!
Very good info.

I sincerely hope we get more AMG owners like you here....

Originally Posted by amgdriven
1) I will dyno it before Christmas. The tires brake loose a LOT more now. I don't trust Butt Dynos.....the awesome sound of the intake might make you feel like you are going faster. That is why I keep using the traction light flickering as an excuse for a gain in power. (I have new 295/30/18 on the rear wheels)

2) Man, just guessing here. 15hp? Maybe? I think there is more of an improvement in torque, to be honest with you. My ECU choked when I put this on. The engine didn't know if it was coming or going. Every gear would tag the rev limiter and sometimes didn't know when it should shift......@100 miles corrected that. No doubt a LOT more air is flowing.Please also note, my set-up has two cold air vents leading to my filter and it is seperated from engine heat when the hood is closed.

3) No factory car comes with an open intake. A little more risk is involved.....like....the filter needs to be changed every 7,500-10,000 miles and you are at some of a risk of sucking in water if the front of your vehicle is submerged. If you live in a area known for consistant rain, forget it. By default...you will saturate the filter by constant moisture.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM

1999 C43
I've done the same exact thing for my previous Saab, it just sounded better (whistle sound) but I did not feel a very certain gain, it might be the turbocharger.. i did not look into the details, but with Saab I had to fabricate a splash guard to protect the penisfilter from water and stuff.

Coming from an individual who calls himself mbhustla858.....you would know first hand what ghetto is.

benztec, the next time you are at work...Jiffy Lube...and you come across a Amg intake; take it off and look at it. Please note by my picture that the protective screen is TOUCHING the top of the intake wall. Nah, no room for improvement there. Please also note that the large surface area (pancake) intake HOLDS ALL OF THE ENGINE HEAT by covering the manifold.

Why has no one else thought of this? They have. But it is hard to justify $1700.00 for a tube and filter. Renntech changed the area of the box with the most restriction.....the mouth/screen area.

Please also note that once you change the air filters, the amount of circulating sand and dirt that remains in the intake. All that is left is the heavy particles....of course after the engine has repeat opportunites to SUCK the smaller particles in.Thank you "ram air"
Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM

1999 C43
Stupid question, but I guess with this project, people that REALLY care about the engine beauty cover will be very dissapointed

I have seen people here talking about upgrading their engine beauty covers

Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

howzit guys,just wondering wouldnt u blow the air mass metre by changing the intake of the car,by changing the intake wouldnt u allow 2 much air into it and blow it????
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by yuvs.n
howzit guys,just wondering wouldnt u blow the air mass metre by changing the intake of the car,by changing the intake wouldnt u allow 2 much air into it and blow it????
Well, not that much air

I once accelerated down my street and sucked up the neighbor's cat in my intake. It took 2 hours to get that damn thing out of my filter housing. Okay,Okay....it didn't really happen. It was a small kitten, not a large cat.

No, yuvs.n...the MAF will be fine. The vacuum of the engine will not have that much force.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, not that much air

I once accelerated down my street and sucked up the neighbor's cat in my intake. It took 2 hours to get that damn thing out of my filter housing. Okay,Okay....it didn't really happen. It was a small kitten, not a large cat.

No, yuvs.n...the MAF will be fine. The vacuum of the engine will not have that much force.
AMGdriven I'm debating on this setup:

mbenzman's setup! Mostly stck parts from an ML55,E430. Even the mass air sensor is moved further out the way towards the front of the car from the heat by the firewall. He used a plastic trash bin cut up that he purchased from Home Depot to make the heat shield.However with your setup I don't have to worry about the dipstic issues!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 12-24-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
AMGdriven I'm debating on this setup:

mbenzman's setup! Mostly stck parts from an ML55,E430. Even the mass air sensor is moved further out the way towards the front of the car from the heat by the firewall. He used a plastic trash bin cut up that he purchased from Home Depot to make the heat shield.However with your setup I don't have to worry about the dipstic issues!

I like this set up - very professional looking, only question is that 'plastic' heat shield. Being plastic next to the exhaust manifold, no one else sees a problem with that???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Here's the link for the cold air intake guys