C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

removal of lower shield..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007 | 06:02 PM

98 c43
removal of lower shield..

to relieve some of the heat from the engine bay? Has anyone done this or figured out another way of relieving some of the heat from the bay?
Old 08-22-2007 | 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by cfourthree
to relieve some of the heat from the engine bay? Has anyone done this or figured out another way of relieving some of the heat from the bay?
I really don't know much about aerodynamics. However, a local shop that helps me from time to time did some Nascar work a few years back and during that time they had helped me with some fuel lines. To make a long story short I trust their insite and they strongly recomended me to "not" remove the engine tray. The reasoning is that it will pressurize your engine compartment once air is moving. It will also hurt your aerodynamics at high speed. It was explained to me that the air will move upwards and inwards at a high velocity once moving, and with the tray missing the hood will trap it creating pressure. Instead, what I have done with mine is similar to what is done with a cowl induction hood or louvered hood. I cut 3 large horizontal spaces out of the engine pan. The spaces are covered by a fine screen mesh and have approx 17x4" fins that open up to the inside opening away from oncoming airflow. Like a cowl induction hood this is suposed to create a slight vacuum effect pulling air through the grill, around the motor, and down through the engine tray louvers. I will post some pictures this week as I need to remove the tray for something else. I have had it like this for over a year with no problems and the overlap design I made prevents water and debris from getting up there. I'll try and do this asap, it looks pretty cool actually.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:56 PM

98 c43
Nitro, thank you very much for the answer. Please post pics of your tray. I need to do something in there. I have never owned a car before where the air in the engine is similar to opening an oven door.
Old 08-26-2007 | 01:08 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Please post your pics. Iam very interested in your set-up.

Thanks, Jeff