C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Front Hub issues, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43, White over two tone
Front Hub issues, need advice

Hello all. I have a 1998 C43. On a recent road trip, I was tooling down the interstate at about 75, when I heard a loud pop. Then a squeaking like I hadn't greased the wheels in years. I pulled over immediately and saw the middle star of my rim on the right side front tire was gone. Behind that, the hub was glowing orange. I limped off the interstate at about 20 mph and got a tow home.

Once home I took the rim off and you can see the bearings appear to be disfigured and discolored. Without comparing to the other side, it appears to me that a few are missing as well. The wheel still will turn, but it is rough and the bearings roll around the hub.

In your opinions, what am I looking at in a repair here? Has anyone else had this problem? I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I know I am at least looking at hub and bearing work, but just curious what else I can expect.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 01:01 AM

ML320
you`ll have to take it apart to know for sure,if the inner race did not damage the spindal, or locked up on it you might need one, the wheel bearings come with new race for inside the hub just have to knock out old ones and knock the new ones in. take it apart and let us know what you find
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Take apart and take some pics for us...spindle and bearings for sure (hub maybe?) on the list to replace especially since you're describing 'glowing' hot - those parts have most assuredly deformed from that heat.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to search out parts for ya' this morning and my favorite (autohausaz) only has the bearings...

Last edited by StapleGun; 01-19-2008 at 07:26 AM.