C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Winshield Sensor And Fog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43
Winshield Sensor And Fog

1ST, sorry for all the new threads I have started since being a member.

My winshield had a small chip and 3 days ago the winshield cracked. So I go to a windshield place (aron glass) and they put in a new windshield for $175.00. Looked great but now my windshield sensor is not working as precised before the windshield got changed. It rained yesterday and lots of rain fell on the window and the sensor did not respond until I could barely see in front of me. It also kicks on when there is NO RAIN. Did these guys mess up the sensor somehow? It's pretty much a pull out the sensor,make sure the infrared lines up to the hole of the windshield and plug the wire,done.

Also, now the interior of the car fogs up very very fast. Last night it got to 6 degrees and the front windshield became ice from the inside of the car. Before the glass change the weather was 3 below zero and also 6-15 degress and this did NOT happen.

Could the winshield have not been sealed right?
Any suggestion on these 2 things?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Some rain sensors need to be replaced every time they are removed (w169/245 for example), luckily the W202 doesn't have to be replaced with the windscreen.

They do however need to be re-adapted after windscreen replacement. Basicly this means that it relearns the visability through the screen so that it can detect changes (rain). As far as I know this needs to be done with a SDS, I've never had to try relearning without an SDS.

As for the fogging problem, try cleaning the inside of the windscreen and see if it helps.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to sound like an *** but MB windshields generally run $300-$500 dollars before installation. My guess would be the cheap glass/install is why you are having issues.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by BryanW203
Not to sound like an *** but MB windshields generally run $300-$500 dollars before installation. My guess would be the cheap glass/install is why you are having issues.
+ 1
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM

c43
Thanks for all the replies!

@Ausmbtech, what's SDS and what does it cost to have it done?

@Brian, I found the problem with the fog and what cause the interior to freeze the glass. The rear passenger side window was down about 1/4. Picked it up and no more fog or freezes.

I thought the same thing that it might be the shield and install but nope. The dealer wanted $325.00 plus taxes and installation. I got a brand new shield that look fantastic for $175.00 installed. I don't see ANY difference with this windshield from the stock one. Like everything else, MB wants to rip us off. For example, they wanted $135.00 for a motor mount, autopartswarehouse wanted $86.00 with free shipping. German start wanted $75.00 for what they said was a true OEM. So I bought 2 mounts from them and a MAS insert. So sometimes you get good deals and sometimes you just have to buy from dealer (sometimes).

Oh, about german star, I have not received the parts yet but even if they are great I will never buy from them again!
I called to ask for a simple tracking number and the guy acted as if I was a nut asking for something so complicated. He said "we dont have tracking numbers we just ship." How the heck am I to know what day ups will be getting here with my stuff! This is the only "company" that has never sent me a confirmation email for my order and a tracking number following that email.

To ME I don't care if I save $11.00 versus autopartswarehouse. I rather have FRIENDLY and well manner customer service. Plus autowarehouse PRICE MATCHES so get some manners and better service german star.

Anyway, the rain sensor seems to be behaving better but not yet as before. Hope it will get back to normal.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Originally Posted by myc43amg
Thanks for all the replies!

@Ausmbtech, what's SDS and what does it cost to have it done?

@Brian, I found the problem with the fog and what cause the interior to freeze the glass. The rear passenger side window was down about 1/4. Picked it up and no more fog or freezes.

I thought the same thing that it might be the shield and install but nope. The dealer wanted $325.00 plus taxes and installation. I got a brand new shield that look fantastic for $175.00 installed. I don't see ANY difference with this windshield from the stock one. Like everything else, MB wants to rip us off.
SDS stands for Star Diagnosis System. Unfortunatly its the dealer level diagnostic machine. I know there are some good aftermarket versions which have near complete functionality but I haven't used any specifically. They aren't cheap so it's workshop only equipment. Call you local dealer and ask what they would charge. Personally I wouldn't charge.......it's called service (something long forgotten by some dealers).

As for you being unable to see a difference, obviously the rain sensor can see a difference. There are some things i'd buy non genuine (OEM suppliers though) and some things that i'd only buy genuine. Windscreens on rain/light sensor equipt vehicles is a definate genuine item in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 PM

c43
THANKS!

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
SDS stands for Star Diagnosis System. Unfortunatly its the dealer level diagnostic machine. I know there are some good aftermarket versions which have near complete functionality but I haven't used any specifically. They aren't cheap so it's workshop only equipment. Call you local dealer and ask what they would charge. Personally I wouldn't charge.......it's called service (something long forgotten by some dealers).

As for you being unable to see a difference, obviously the rain sensor can see a difference. There are some things i'd buy non genuine (OEM suppliers though) and some things that i'd only buy genuine. Windscreens on rain/light sensor equipt vehicles is a definate genuine item in my opinion.