the royal purple and beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
heres my thanksgiving gift to all you mobil 1 fans! click on the oil link search mobil 1 click on 0-40 and it adjusts the cost to 3.99$ per qt! max 12 qts. then click store pickup hit local store for you and pay by paypal. print the receipt and take it to your local store for pickup!! ez peazy!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...197-_-10711125

saabotuer advance auto and autozone have the 75/90 mobil 1 gear oil. have them ship it to you
You must have a magic computer because mine says $7.99 per qt. I was only going to try RP because ive heard a lot of hype?! So im guessing hype is just hype when it comes to this? Ill stick with Mobile 1 0-40 if no one has had any good experiences with RP...
Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by austinholloman
Ok so who is running this stuff in their motor? RP has 0w40 so is it ok or no? I know Ohlord isnt a fan.
Regarding motor oil, I could write an awful lot, but I’ll try to keep it short.

When designing an engine, Mercedes-Benz powertrain engineers choose bearing clearances. Those clearances aren't selected based on whatever plastigage they have laying around, it's based on oil thickness at operating temperature (100C).

Some may not know it, but the thickness of moving oil is measured in hundredths of a Stoke or cS (or cSt, depending on the manual). It's the manner in which viscosity is measured. Rather than saying "this oil" is more viscous than another, cS quantifies it.

I use Mobil1 0-40 because I don’t know the cS rating of every motor oil out there. What's the cS rating of [fill in the brand] at 100C? How about 40C? 0? How do I "know" if any brand that doesn’t meet MB spec will properly lubricate my engine during cold starts? Even if I knew all the specs "today", will some other brand keep me informed by producing data sheets when they make changes to the formula? (This is aside from the fact that many brand-x manufacturers don't produce data sheets for the public) On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz WILL tell me when I need to use something other than their "current" recommended oils.

There's a lot more to oil than just lubricating parts. Those same parts must be cooled and it's not done by the water jackets in the block. Bearings never see water. They're cooled by oil. I have no idea what the heat transfer rates are for any oil on the market. I do know that "if" the oil in my sump doesn't do the job, my bulletproof M113 bottom end will be reduced to scrap. The same is true for valve guides, cams, pistons (they'll overheat if the oil is too thick for the squirters), etc. In a nutshell, I use the recommended oil because I trust the powertrain engineers at Mercedes-Benz.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very well put sir. Very well indeed. Do our C43s burn oil? I think I read a thread about this somewhere? Having to keep and extra qt around...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
You must have a magic computer because mine says $7.99 per qt. I was only going to try RP because ive heard a lot of hype?! So im guessing hype is just hype when it comes to this? Ill stick with Mobile 1 0-40 if no one has had any good experiences with RP...
nothing magic. when you click on the amount of oil you want ie: 12 qts then go to your shopping cart it automatically adjusts the price to 3.99$ per qt. if you buy other stuff and the price hits 75$ free shipping. im getting mine at the store so tax was added, but i still managed 4.30$ per qt

marcusf thats a great post! i never cease to be amazed at the level of knowledge someone can find on these forums. i have always used mobil1 mainly because m/b wants me to. now i know a small part of the reasoning behind it. makes me feel better when i cant find the sales and have to shell out 7.49 a qt!

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 11-26-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn it. None near me. What a great deal.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Regarding motor oil, I could write an awful lot, but I’ll try to keep it short.

When designing an engine, Mercedes-Benz powertrain engineers choose bearing clearances. Those clearances aren't selected based on whatever plastigage they have laying around, it's based on oil thickness at operating temperature (100C).

Some may not know it, but the thickness of moving oil is measured in hundredths of a Stoke or cS (or cSt, depending on the manual). It's the manner in which viscosity is measured. Rather than saying "this oil" is more viscous than another, cS quantifies it.

I use Mobil1 0-40 because I don’t know the cS rating of every motor oil out there. What's the cS rating of [fill in the brand] at 100C? How about 40C? 0? How do I "know" if any brand that doesn’t meet MB spec will properly lubricate my engine during cold starts? Even if I knew all the specs "today", will some other brand keep me informed by producing data sheets when they make changes to the formula? (This is aside from the fact that many brand-x manufacturers don't produce data sheets for the public) On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz WILL tell me when I need to use something other than their "current" recommended oils.

There's a lot more to oil than just lubricating parts. Those same parts must be cooled and it's not done by the water jackets in the block. Bearings never see water. They're cooled by oil. I have no idea what the heat transfer rates are for any oil on the market. I do know that "if" the oil in my sump doesn't do the job, my bulletproof M113 bottom end will be reduced to scrap. The same is true for valve guides, cams, pistons (they'll overheat if the oil is too thick for the squirters), etc. In a nutshell, I use the recommended oil because I trust the powertrain engineers at Mercedes-Benz.
Thanks again MarcusF for your words of wisdom. Like you, I'll only allow Mobil1 in my W113 C43 engine

Very well put sir. Very well indeed. Do our C43s burn oil? I think I read a thread about this somewhere? Having to keep and extra qt around...
My car has 218K km which is around 135K miles. Has burned around 1/2 liter since April when I purchased the car. So I can say, no it doesn't burn much