Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by mis-u-jerr
Another satisfied customer I see...

I had my fuel sending unit go out twice while under warranty...
Yeah, I don't want to think about how many things failed > 1 time while under warranty. It's ok though.....I really do like the car, just the electronics are well under par for what they should be for such an (originally) expensive car
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
for such an (originally) expensive car
As an original owner myself, I hear ya! What is with the electronics anyway? I know several people with 99-2000's with dash/light/radio problems... (Not just 202's either...)
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
So does anyone have the HVAC codes for the w202, or do I just assume they are the same for the w208? For quick reference, it appears my in car temp = 88, while bumper temp = 106, L side heater core = 99, evaporator temp sensor = 162, engine coolant temp = 210, freon pressure = 11.8 (whatever units they use), freon temp = 96, software and hardware versions 03 and 03. This is all from the list on the link, recorded today after a 15 minute drive and idling for a couple minutes while I figured out the switchology for the HVAC diagnostics.... what do you all think?

To update my situation, the A/c is still working, i.e it still blows ice cold on first start up. Oddly enough, no matter how long it takes me to get to this certain spot on my drive to work (after 1st start) I can feel the a/c disengage at almost the exact same spot every time. After that, no matter what I do it will not re-engage. At first it blows luke-cold (if thats a word haha), then slowly just gets rather warm. Also, it almost immediately gets really humid. If I continue running the "a/c" it will be muggy in the car and it smells either like stank air from the ducts, or possibly even the slight smell of engine coolant. Thoughts?

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 07-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sounds like you evaporator sensor may be broken. It should be close to the in-car temperature sensor while the A/C is off, and a lot lower while the A/C is on. I just tested mine in my 92˚ garage. After a few minutes at idle and a little higher (1000 RPM at most), my evaporator sensor read 40˚. The left and right heater cores were about 5˚ higher. The real test is the vent temperature. Using my infrared, I saw 29˚ at the center vents and 34 at the outer vents.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 AM

1999 C43 AMG
yay....thats basically the average then. Not to sound cheap, but I'm not sure why MB can't make a car that doesn't charge you 800-1000 bones every 10 months for random electrical gremlins. And on top of this, I have a phantom A/C sensor failure....like it refuses to turn on the cold A/C air on occaison, and after shutdown and re-start its all good. Man I need to sell this piece of ****
SAVE YOUR DOUGH!! Happy to report that after the 3rd bottle of injection cleaner my fuel gauge is definitely working and I'm sure it's as accurate as it ever was...let the needle drop as low as I have so far, half-way into the orange, and it took 14.5 gal. Seems about as close as it's gonna get. No more reading empty on a full tank and no more sudden drops from full to half.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by JRbro
SAVE YOUR DOUGH!! Happy to report that after the 3rd bottle of injection cleaner my fuel gauge is definitely working and I'm sure it's as accurate as it ever was...let the needle drop as low as I have so far, half-way into the orange, and it took 14.5 gal. Seems about as close as it's gonna get. No more reading empty on a full tank and no more sudden drops from full to half.
Awesome, thanks for the update! I will try this next time I have an empty tank
Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Sounds like you evaporator sensor may be broken. It should be close to the in-car temperature sensor while the A/C is off, and a lot lower while the A/C is on. I just tested mine in my 92˚ garage. After a few minutes at idle and a little higher (1000 RPM at most), my evaporator sensor read 40˚. The left and right heater cores were about 5˚ higher. The real test is the vent temperature. Using my infrared, I saw 29˚ at the center vents and 34 at the outer vents.
So if the evap temp sensor has failed, what is happening? Is it kicking out to allow the evaporator to cool down, or something else? I found the new sensor and it is not expensive at all so this sounds like an easy fix if I can locate where the sensor is....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
So if the evap temp sensor has failed, what is happening? Is it kicking out to allow the evaporator to cool down, or something else? I found the new sensor and it is not expensive at all so this sounds like an easy fix if I can locate where the sensor is....
ThrillKill had a little trouble finding it in a CLK. Here's the thread.

I'm not an AC tech, so someone (anyone) can feel free to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, but here is *my* understanding of what's happening: The faulty evap sensor is leading to the system getting too cold and icing up (To prevent icing, the compressor is supposed to cycle off at certain temps. It trusts those lying faulty sensors for that temperature info). Some other sensor eventually shouts, "Icebergs dead ahead captain!!!", and the compressor shuts down. At some point (very quickly due to the 100 degree outside air that's entering the system), the ice melts and your interior is as humid as Manhattan in August. Thrill said the sensor swap took 30 seconds. Although, if I remember correctly, he had threads on multiple forums because he had trouble finding it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Alright, this really sounds like the exact symptoms I am experiencing. It definitely occurs w/n a minute + a few seconds from cold start, each and every time. Starts ice cold like I said, and then suddenly stops, begins to blow warm air, and it gets really humid. Sooooo, I ordered the new evap temp sensor ($38 ) and I've got a couple more questions:

1) How do I access the underdash area? I've never poked around down there, and I'd rather ask and not break anything, than make it open up and end up damaging something, trim-wise

2) Am I able to replace the sensor w/o opening up the refrigerant loop? I.e do I need to evacuate the system first, and then re-charge, or does it just swap out?

Thanks again for all the help guys, really hoping this is the problem!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
I don't believe there's any opening of of the system or recharging of R34 . . . . . . . . . . . . .checking the WIS for diagrams . . . . . .
Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
automatic AC (set the temperature digitally, versus a rotary dial/slide) right?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
automatic AC (set the temperature digitally, versus a rotary dial/slide) right?
Yes, auto climate control....not the euro style rotaries
Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Found the location, you get to it through the driver's side footwell. As I suspected, it's the same as the CLK. It's the left hand photos, B10/6x1

Digging up the R&R next . . . . . .
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
The WIS is a pain to find things on. Once found, it make sense, but finding things is tough . . . . . . and I couldn't find the R&R in the WIS, so I used the CLK DVD . . . . . which allowed me to see that I don't have a procedure, but I can see where it's located.

Using Thrill's photo, while laying on your back and looking up, this is what you'll see:

The yellow circle is the top of the accellerator pedal arm.

The red circle to the right is the evaporator temperature sensor. If you have the new part, the prong goes into the heater housing. The housing is hollow/no liquid inside. Per Thrill, the new sensor is supposed to be an upgraded part. Unclip the electrical plug and remove the sensor. pull? twist? Post back and let me know how it comes out.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
It occurs to me that the new part will be threaded if it screws in, or have a clip if it clips in. Autohaus AZ doesn't appear to carry them.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
It occurs to me that the new part will be threaded if it screws in, or have a clip if it clips in. Autohaus AZ doesn't appear to carry them.
Hmmm, I just ordered one from them. It was listed under the "A/C Temperature sensor" category.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
BTW thanks a ton for looking that stuff up for me, that is a big help!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Hmmm, I just ordered one from them. It was listed under the "A/C Temperature sensor" category.
Ah, you're right. I see it now. Autohaus has it for 10% less than the MBCA discount price. Nice. I remember reading that one CLK owner paid $175, but the dealer "installed it for free". That tells me two things:

1) With the dealer charging $175 for a part that has a dealer MSRP of $51, very few things are "free".
2) For a dealer to claim that the install was free, it must be a very easy to do.

Enjoy the cold air!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
i have been saying evap temp sensor for a month now!

i told you i was all too familiar with the symptoms. the dealer replaced mine with no labor, they charged me 120. and i got to drive a loaner for 2 days.. pretty good deal.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
i have been saying evap temp sensor for a month now!

i told you i was all too familiar with the symptoms. the dealer replaced mine with no labor, they charged me 120. and i got to drive a loaner for 2 days.. pretty good deal.
Indeed, I just wanted to make sure (or at least be pretty confident) before I got to it
Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Alright guys, received the new sensor this afternoon....just getting ready to head out to the garage and swap it in, now that the sun is going down and the temp is under 90 deg

What do you guys think....am I going to inadvertently open up the refrigerant loop? Also, are the fasteners holding in the kick panel above the pedals in obvious locations, or is there a trick to removing it? Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Update: Yeaaaaaaahhhhhh, swapped out the sensor in prob like 20 mins, put everything back together, fired it up, took it out for a spin and cycled through the different modes and temperatures of the CC system and I'm glad to report it blows ice cold again w/o any shut downs. If anyone has this problem in the future, I too highly recommend doing this before you have a "professional" look at it. Thanks for the help everyone!

Oh yeah, what product would you recommend using to clean my fuel system and try to get the gas quantity indicator reading properly again?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
You just saved a couple of hundred dollars and of even greater imporatnce, you've demonstrated that regular people can work on these highly technical cars. If you had to do it again, how long would it take? Ten minutes? Five?

Chevron Techron concentrate or Chevron Pro Gard are good fuel cleaners, but I don't know if this will correct the fuel level sensor problem.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
You just saved a couple of hundred dollars and of even greater imporatnce, you've demonstrated that regular people can work on these highly technical cars. If you had to do it again, how long would it take? Ten minutes? Five?

Chevron Techron concentrate or Chevron Pro Gard are good fuel cleaners, but I don't know if this will correct the fuel level sensor problem.
Yeah, prob 10 max. Definitely one of the more satisfying "fixes" I've done personally. I'll look for the Chevron cleaner next time I'm in getting gas. Yeah, it very well may not fix the issue, but it's probably a good idea anyways since it has been a while since I have run anything through it.