C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Lower Insurance Costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In search of W222
Lower Insurance Costs?

Becasue im only 18, the quote from AAA said $3,984 . a year is what i need to pay for a 98 c43 with 160k.

Does ANybody have any suggestions to a cheaper insuyrance place, or know any other way i could lower this. I already have the teen driver and student gpa discount.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
I'm sure there are better rates out there, but also that is kind of the reality of your situation. Big HP luxury sport sedans + young drivers = accidents in most folk's opinion, especially the insurance companies. It sucks if you actually are in the small minority of young drivers who are competent and not accidents waiting to happen, but there really is no good way of making the insurance guys believe it. Trust me, I paid out the a$$ until I was > 25, and to this day have never had an accident........though I have probably received 6-8 speeding tickets throughout the years. Which leads to a whole other argument, about whether or not speeding tickets indicate that you are a hazard. IMHO, and this has certainly been the case w/ me, most speeding tickets are issued in speed traps where the relative "danger" of the situation is not even taken into account. I have been a good revenue builder for several different counties, and pretty much nothing else. The really dangerous guys, who hit high speed in heavy traffic, who have no regard for others' safety.....they are the ones who don't get caught, and end up having accidents. Or the dumb inattentive drivers who are very careful about not speeding, but just don't have the situational awareness to keep themselves out of the next person's bumper. It's those guys/ladies who fly under the radar. /rant

Insurance sucks basically.....
Old 07-26-2008, 02:55 PM

In search of W222
yeah i hate horrible/immature/unsafe drivers, ruin it for the other ppl (rant) adn yeah ill have to search around
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 282 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
sell your slk and cash out a nice c43 and you are set to go

there are a few out there for sale with under 50k on the clock
Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Shop around AAA is usually very high. There are many many insurance companys out there.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:22 PM

1997 C36AMG
dude

try out 21st, and choose liability only, you'll get it cheap lol
Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 AM

In search of W222
slk was sold. money put towards college .
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
bad news- C43 is one of the cheaper sort of fun options out there for insurance (1999 M3 is quite a bit higher for example)

good news- you figured it out before you got the car!

other bad news- if you buy one for your price range (taken from your other posts) it will cost you more for repairs and insurance than it would cost an adult to make the payments on a brand new C63- not even taking into account what you will be paying monthly (or not if your so lucky as to have that much cash laying around)

it's not a great choice at all for a college kid who isn't an incredible mechanic with experience beyond their years.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 AM

In search of W222
well the car will be paid for (7k) and im taking car of insurance hopefully less than 200 a month if i find a way. then ill have gas (i figure 150-200 a month)

and i make about 500 per month. @ my crappy coldstones job. yay i barely make it.! im

Last edited by bagelsjustbagel; 07-27-2008 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by bagelsjustbagel
well the car will be paid for (7k) and im taking car of insurance hopefully less than 200 a month if i find a way. then ill have gas (i figure 150-200 a month)

and i make about 500 per month. @ my crappy coldstones job. yay i barely make it.! im
That's not a very good mix....even if the car is paid for. I have a great insurance rate now and I pay $94.00 per month, plus whatever maintenance costs me (generally 100-300 per month depending on what piece of **** electrical system breaks on a given month). Its really a horrible car, I kid you not. Powerful, but probably the worst mercedes ever made....no joke.....absolutely horribly reliable. You will spend a small fortune keeping a C43 on the road....they all should be driven off cliffs but nobody will end the suffering. I love my car, but I hate it more than anything at the same time.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Get realistic...how do you figure you can afford to put money away ???

Well for going to college, you're off on the wrong foot. An MB is a very poor choice unless you know how to tinker on it and have the facilities to work on it. Any little repair willl set you back several hundred dollars - wiping out your $500 salary. Just the front brakes on a C43 will set you back six hundred bucks - and that's if you do it yourself. With gas prices going through the roof, again it makes bad financial sense - it's a car gettin' 24 mpg on the highway tops. I've had very good luck with mine but I repair my own car and am financially solid not working at cold stone making meager wages....Sock away some money get a nice reliable car (you can actually afford) and get through college without the headaches of an old MB. Additionally, if you cannot work on your car or have no clue how to - GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY, again not cheap but a used transmission it's repair and replacement is minimum a $3K endeavor.

Last edited by StapleGun; 07-27-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
to put it another way now that i have more info-

IF you buy a C43 for under 10k and aren't a mechanic then the odds are very good that you will have at least 2 repairs during the remainder of your years as a student each of which totalling more than the roughly half of your YEARLY income.

buy an Acura or something
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM

1997 C36AMG
i got a buddy that work

at the auto mall in Fremont mercedes, herein east bay, he has a red 1995 C36 did all the maintainence car drives awesome, i test drove it, i was actually gonna buy it till i found by black C class lol, but yea just thought i'd throw it out there, he was gonna sell it to me. if anyone is interesed PM and I'll get you too hooked up to talk. (the car looks badass too, and has satellite radio. dropped on 17's tints, and has a european license plate in the front. sorry no pics of it tho lol
Old 07-27-2008, 02:26 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
ur insurance (assuming you dont have any tickets on your record) should be less than 1500 per 6 months, especially considering your age. just slap the policy ontop of your parents insurance and it should be alot cheaper.

i got a policy with state farm, they dont charge me hardly ****. i was paying 864 per 6 months before my c43 accident. now im paying 1000 per 6 months, which im also fine with.

some of my friends are in the same ballpark, one of them has alot of tickets and the ins for a c43 is about 1400 per 6 months for him. the other one has a wreck and one ticket and his would be 1100. just shop around youll find a good rate. btw all of the latter were NOT liability only scenerios.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Z06EATER
at the auto mall in Fremont mercedes, herein east bay, he has a red 1995 C36 did all the maintainence car drives awesome, i test drove it, i was actually gonna buy it till i found by black C class lol, but yea just thought i'd throw it out there, he was gonna sell it to me. if anyone is interesed PM and I'll get you too hooked up to talk. (the car looks badass too, and has satellite radio. dropped on 17's tints, and has a european license plate in the front. sorry no pics of it tho lol
Im planing to buy a red 202 amg, gime more info please

and everyone just stfu about the repairs

if you pay of your car right away you wont need full insurance, don't be afraid of repairs, just go for it

I bought a 94 c280 with 113k on it and I put over 3k in it in less then a year, head gasket, harness and all that good stuff

true you are not making a lot of money but if you love the car go ahead and experience it, you can always sell it, you are young so you dont have much to lose

just because someone elses c43 is giving them a hard time, it doesn't mean the one you buy will be a pain in the *** to
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silence

buy an Acura or something
get of this forum now and dont ever come back
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
lol

you aware of my car and that i do all my own work?

you are the one who is out of line- buying a car you can't afford that may have many high priced repairs is not the right route for a college student. why contribute to some kid screwing himself over.

so far as the "just cause someone is having trouble with their car" comment goes- i don't think any of us who have posted are unhappy with our cars etc. etc. it's just that we are living in the real world and know it wouldn't be a good call for a college kid and particularly on 500 a month (i know i worked a lot of hrs but had more to work with than that in school)

also- who is in the wrong forum?

-drew
Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by PJmak
if you pay of your car right away you wont need full insurance, don't be afraid of repairs, just go for it

great idea! ...for a 1994 c280 which is like 4k. any amount of money close to 10k is worth getting insured. i made money on my wrecked c43 thanks to the insurance

silence is just being realistic. these cars are alot to handle maintenance wise, and even if you are doing your own repairs, the parts arent cheap. i make 15 times as much as bagels in a month and the car still breaks my *****. but then again if i was back in college not paying for anything maybe id have a c63 paid in cash right now instead of a c43 haha....
Old 07-27-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by PJmak
and everyone just stfu about the repairs

if you pay of your car right away you wont need full insurance, don't be afraid of repairs, just go for it[/B]
W/ all due respect, you don't really know what you are talking about here. Maybe your experience w/ your C280 was good, but it is also a different car. I purchased mine CPO, still under warranty, from the dealer a few years back for 26.5k. Low mileage, mint, etc. Recently had $7000 worth of CPO repairs (prior to my purchase), which amounted to a lot of odds and ends. Within a couple months of ownership, my warranty covered over $2000 worth of repairs....I was dumbfounded. Things don't break that often, but on average every 4-5k miles something needs fixing, and I have never paid less than $600 for a dealer job. I do some of the work myself, but I just really don't have time in a lot of cases. The OP is a student, and judging by my experience when I was in college, I didn't have the time or a place to do all the work you will need to do to keep a C43 up and running well. Throw on services every 5k miles if you are smart, and that is even more expense.....and then the rear tires of course need replacement every so often. Trust me, this is a bad idea if you earn $500 / month. I don't even know how someone can live for $500/month, much less afford to maintain a luxury car.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
For the record, I don't actually hate the C43 or my car in particular. Drunk + posting /= good advice
Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

we've owned 4 202s in my family and never ha any serious problems with them, well except my 94 but we all know preupdated 202s have issues and they were resolved later on with updated models

but anyway, tell me about that red c36
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 AM

negative.

im currently on my 4th w202 PERSONALLY and let me tell you, they are costly to repair. im 3/4 on a 3000+ fix (head gaskets/wiring harness on the i-6's and the tranny on my 1st 43). im not going to be very excited when this one decides to hit me up for some cash.

ive got about 170k miles in w202's under my belt, thats spread out over the cars ive had. theyre great cars and i would keep driving them, but i certainly wouldnt dare venture in the 202 zone if i made 500 bucks a month...
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 AM

1997 C36AMG
i have a W202

and i try to do all i can to keep the engine in top shape, clean it polish, and it runs great HAHa today was fun i was on 880 going to milpitas, i had about 6 people in my car we were goin to dave and busters, then i saw this grey GTO pull in the freeway, dropped with blacked out tails nice car, and the sound as awesome as well, i passed him going 85 i guess he thought i wanted to race, i heard a roar behind me, he was next to me, for a while till i started my own crazy driving, i just floored it, with the ac on Max with a loaded car, and 2 twelves in the trunk, swerving through cars i didn't see the gto back, ( i guess he quit or was scared) looked at my speedo i was doing 145 and going , i hit 155 and it was still climbing but i ran outa road n slowed the **** down, too much weight in the car, but MAN! THAT **** WAS FAST!!! HAHAAHA anywho the red class, very lovely car, may i add, he gets parts from germany, and he has xenons for our c36's also, they are european headlights. awesome huh?! price is nifty but eh. i gotta get some pics, of the car, it's in excellent condition, also last time i talked to him he was putting in two tone leather also, that he got off ebay. i'll get some pics the car has like 110,xxx on it. but runs like a champ.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 AM

1997 C36AMG
also,

please don't start acting like a female on her period about "oh that Gto would nt walk but RUn ur car" if u don't think i don't know that, i do, it was a 5.7. n the way was ****ing with me, seemed like he had the ***** to get crazy and i won't let me n my C36 go down without a good fight. w202 pride baby
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
wow- cool story

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lower Insurance Costs?