Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 1996 C200 W202
buying a C36

Calling all C36 Owners, i am a MB
fanatic so i know the C36 backwards. i know all
the good things about the car 1 million times over.

From you owners of my favorite car, i want to know
some things to look out for, i am looking at a second hand
C36 AMG soon and i just need a checklist of things to look out for.
to make sure the car is Perfect.

Thank You

Cheers

Brad
Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
Hey Brad, Greg. One thing I would warn you not do is, this is from my mistake do not!!!!!!!!!!!!! wash the engine. very bad idea. I'm sure you know of the slight diesel sound it makes, uhmm lets see I would change spark plugs you know all that maintenance stuff diff oil tranny oil. THERMOSTAT! that is the first thing I changed when I got mine. Shocks might be slightly less strong if it's high mileage like mine 137k miles. Also guide rails for the timing chain those made a big difference for my car. Drive belt, I've changed the throttle body, rebuilt the computer. It's just that mine had had a little more problems than others but $4,000 later I'm also one happy C36 owner lol runs basically how it did when it was new no problems or anything I've had it for a year now drove it 14k miles so yeah. I've personally rebuilt everything so I'm pretty sure your not looking for something to costly. But if you test drive the car and everything is normal you know normal maintenance will keep it running forever very durable engines I would personally ask Dr. C36 very knowledgable about the car.I mean do you have any concerns yourself I'm sure you've driven your favorite car already lol if you did how did you like it?

Last edited by C36ickness; 08-10-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM

1997 C36AMG
hey bro

i would look at brakes, sparks, throttle body, rotors, front bumper and fogs, (people always lower the car, and damage the front bumper)open oil cap smell the oil, may need changing when you buy it, it before you change it, throw in some seafoam to clean out that crankcase a bit, check water pump, those needs to be replaced around 120,000 miles as well, of course make sure leather clean, batttery is good, make sure AC and heater is in working condition. all hoses are in good condition, MAKE SURE SPARK PLUG WIRES WERE CHANGED.
throw some seafoam in the throttle body, let it smoke up, clean it out! lol...otherwise your good. oh make sure you don't hear ticking noises, from the engine, make sure to check coolant, for that head gasket problem. and if it's not a 97, make sure the wiring harness has been replaced.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 AM

Mercedes-Benz 1996 C200 W202
lol,

funny you should say do not wash the engine, when i first got my car i high pressure hosed the engine trying to clean it!!!
yeh flooded it, all sorts of problems.

The car is a 96 and has done 215k, i guess i should be smart a wait another year till i have the cash to buy one under 100k.

Thanks for all your replies, will tell you how i go..

cheers

Brad
Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
actually i think the main concern with washing ur motor is thermal expansion, or in this case, contraction. when you hit a hot block with a cold stream of water itll make it want to crack and eventually will.